PDA

View Full Version : Shot placement on a coyote to make it spin

220 Swift
12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
I recall reading this somewhere in a book or on the net of the old coyote spin. something tells me that it was either a lung shot or a liver shot.

Can someone refresh my memory please?

260 Rem
12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Have seen them spin trying to lick/check a wound on their flank...just like a dog chasing its tail.

Kale_M
12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
high shoulder shot. drops them on the spot. a coyotes vitals are a lot farther forward then most think. Most shoot them like a deer and hit to far back getting spinners and runners.

wally338
12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
just hit em right on the shoulder with the old 338/378 they will spin but it does damage the fur a little wee bit:sHa_sarcasticlol:

7mm08
12-29-2011, 08:55 PM
I prefer to see them drop on the spot...even a coyote deserves a quick, humane kill. Spinning and other "theatrics" are unnecessary and just give the "anti's" more ammunition to make all hunters out to be mindless killers and destroyers. Sorry to say, we are under the microscope here. True sportsmen/women have to prove themselves on every basis to make up for the occasional "poster child, raper of wildlife" the anti's can use to make our sports seem barbaric. Sorry to say...this is a topic groups like P.E.T.A, W.W.F, and others would post...out of context, of course, to paint all hunters with the brush of mindless killers and murderers.

220 Swift
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry i wasnt posting for entertainment of seeing them spin, i was asking more on "if this is a bad shot, what is it hitting, and where should the placement be on the next one?" .

I like to see them drop too, and not move.

densa44
12-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Don't do it on purpose but what has been said is true. A shot in the shoulder with a 100 gr. hp out of my 3006 dropped him on the spot, still holding my last chicken in his mouth.

You could put a softball in the hole between his shoulder blades. Hard on the fur I guess.

greylynx
12-30-2011, 12:02 AM
When you shoot one the legs off with your .338 Win Mag Varmint Load there is a tendency for the coyote to fly and spin around thereafter looking for said leg.

James M
12-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Low in the armpit. I did this 2 days ago. All 4 feet came off the ground as it jumped up and down and danced in circles.

slipbobber
12-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I prefer to see them drop on the spot...even a coyote deserves a quick, humane kill. Spinning and other "theatrics" are unnecessary and just give the "anti's" more ammunition to make all hunters out to be mindless killers and destroyers. Sorry to say, we are under the microscope here. True sportsmen/women have to prove themselves on every basis to make up for the occasional "poster child, raper of wildlife" the anti's can use to make our sports seem barbaric. Sorry to say...this is a topic groups like P.E.T.A, W.W.F, and others would post...out of context, of course, to paint all hunters with the brush of mindless killers and murderers.

Great post. People wonder where the antis get fuel for the fire.

KegRiver
12-30-2011, 06:19 AM
I think you would find that any grazing shot could result in a spin.
I have found that a sold hit, almost anywhere, does not.

This is pure speculation, but I suspect that the reason for the spin is the burning sensation caused by a graze. A sold hit results in at least some shock that blocks pain, as anyone who has been shot will tell you.

They describe it as feeling like a bubble passed through the body.

220 Swift
12-30-2011, 08:50 AM
it was a good solid shot, i was confident in it, the good rebound sound of crack was there too. The coyote was facing me, with a slight twist (now that i think of it in the armpit as said above)with a 40 gr PSP from a 220 swift. 175 yards. i never skinned him, but i still can as he is hanging, ( i usually give them to the neighbor to help them out with some extra $)

so my best guess as of now is, in the brisket and out the left armpit.

5 seconds of spinning and he went down.

Redfrog
12-30-2011, 08:58 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/anatomy_coyote_side_2-1.jpg

Sometimes a heart shot will jump and run flat out. I shot lots of spinners that were dead and didn't know it. I suspect it is heart damage.

lone wolf
12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/anatomy_coyote_side_2-1.jpg

Sometimes a heart shot will jump and run flat out. I shot lots of spinners that were dead and didn't know it. I suspect it is heart damage.

Great diagram - thanks Redfrog !!

rhuntley12
12-30-2011, 09:02 AM
I found a 12gauge with #7 shot at about 50 ft doesnt hurt them but sure makes them do a backwards sumersault.

A good solid shot usually drops them on the spot

Jamie Black R/T
12-30-2011, 09:03 AM
shoot enough yotes and you will see some spinners.....doesnt mean a bad shot....nor does it make you a "mindless killer" :thinking-006:

the old "death spin" is no different than a lung hit whitetail dashing 50 yards before crashing.

lighten up guys...its a coyote

220 Swift
12-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Here is the placement of the shot i took. i agree must be a heart or lung shot. The pink hole is the exit.

Lonnie
12-30-2011, 03:38 PM
to all you coyote hunters what is the size of the kill zone on the average coyote.

nekred
12-30-2011, 03:46 PM
With a fast 90 grain hollow point .270 bullet.... just about the whole thing

I call them copter dogs.... I have seen them do this even when hit between the lookers...reflexes only...

7mm08
12-30-2011, 04:06 PM
quote "shoot enough yotes and you will see some spinners.....doesnt mean a bad shot....nor does it make you a "mindless killer" quote

You missed my point...obviously.

quote "I recall reading this somewhere in a book or on the net of the old coyote spin. something tells me that it was either a lung shot or a liver shot.

Can someone refresh my memory please? " quote

Sounded like he was looking for the shot placement to make them spin for his amusement. Hence my comment about not making a kill a "blood sport for the amusement of the shooter" to give the anti's another bit of ammo to shoot back at hunters and sportsmen. Sorry if you decided to run with this in your usual "mocking" way jamie.

Redfrog
12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
to all you coyote hunters what is the size of the kill zone on the average coyote.

Nearly all of Alberta.:)

I use my fist as the size of the kill zone.

Jamie Black R/T
12-30-2011, 04:28 PM

Like you missed the point of the OP?

Sounded like he was looking for the shot placement to make them spin for his amusement

no it didnt....not even a little bit...how can it sound like that when its not what he typed?? :snapoutofit:

it gets really tiring seeing guys lectured on their personal ethics on here...especially when thats not even what poor the guy said....way too many members on this board alone who spend their time talking instead of listening....looking for the next post to attack...slow down sometimes bud...we are all on the same team.

Sorry if you decided to run with this in your usual "mocking" way jamie.

There is an ignore function for a reason....use it.

all that said...i had 4 coyotes in the yard at 2am this morning wake me up.....gonna be some helicopter dogs around my place this weekend...i promise :scared0018:

7mm08
12-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Agreed Redfrog...fist size...halfway down the front shoulder. Dead in their tracks.
Cheers

Jamie Black R/T
12-30-2011, 04:29 PM

about 6 inches

might be a bit bigger but, aim small....miss small

7mm08
12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by 7mm08 View Post
Like you missed the point of the OP?

Quote:
Sounded like he was looking for the shot placement to make them spin for his amusement
no it didnt....not even a little bit...how can it sound like that when its not what he typed??

it gets really tiring seeing guys lectured on their personal ethics on here...especially when thats not even what poor the guy said....way too many members on this board alone who spend their time talking instead of listening....looking for the next post to attack...slow down sometimes bud...we are all on the same team.

Quote:
Sorry if you decided to run with this in your usual "mocking" way jamie.
There is an ignore function for a reason....use it.

all that said...i had 4 coyotes in the yard at 2am this morning wake me up.....gonna be some helicopter dogs around my place this weekend...i promise

Well...lets agree to disagree on a few things and not begin a fight thats just giving the antis what they want...fighting amongst ourselves. I admit...maybe i read things differently...its hard to interpret things written when there is no emphasis or any other way to see what the true message was. Thats what reading gets , sometimes. I admit, my back was up...and I posted. I ask one thing...look at the original posting...even the title, through the eyes of an anti-hunter looking for ammo. If you disagree...then lets just let it go. if you agree...lets just let it go. Not worth it.

7mm08
12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Hmmmmm...that didnt come out right...the copy /paste of the quotes looked different on the draft before hitting "post"

Lonnie
12-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Nearly all of Alberta.:)

I use my fist as the size of the kill zone.

thanks Ive shot quite a few coyotes and have skinned lots and know that there small but all were shot with hunting rifle like one poster stated just about any where witch seams to be my expience if you hit them. I'm also sure that I've gave a lot of free hair cuts to a lot of coyotes.