PDA

View Full Version : ice auger wont run

lehmskin
12-29-2011, 08:24 PM
ice auger willl start and then die afew seconds later . any ideas ?

jessedm
12-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Is there an air vent in the cap?? Is it open?

Big Red 250
12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Maybe a small chunk of ice in fuel tank or gas line. maybe a tiny piece of dirt or crud screwing up the float. put a bit of gas line antifreeze in the tank, wait abit then restart it. If the problem is still there, I'd be checking thecarb.

Mike_W
12-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Did you use a fuel stabilizer to keep your gas from gumming up your carb?
I would make sure you have good fresh fuel and oil and run a bit of carb cleaner through the first tank.
Also as mentioned ensure that your breather vent is open and working

220 Swift
12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
i cant start mine anymore either, as someone stole it alone with my portable ice shack, 2 weed wippers, ladder2 man stand, and a pop up stand.:mad3: There may be more things missing too:mad3: everything was new in the box except the weed wippers,

Thundercatcher
12-29-2011, 11:36 PM
I had the same problem. It would start to cut the hole and then stop. A kind man was out there and he said it might be the vent on the cap. Sure enough, when he unblocked it for me it ran perfectlt. Hope that is the problem.

Jiffy10
12-30-2011, 09:44 AM
there may be two issues.....

the lower diaphram may not be able to keep up with the fuel
demand and it may need replacing. They are supposed to be
plyable and with age they simply fail.

before you replace any parts. Try to adjust the right hand screw.
This is the high speed setting and its usually the culprit.
Remove it completely and spray some carb cleaner in it .

put it back in gently till it just touches the bottom and wont
go in any further. Now turn it back out 3/4 to 5/8 of a turn
and drill some holes. It may need a tweek from there but that
setting seems to work well on most AV520 Techumse augers.

The settings are best done while under load. SO you'll have to
get to some ice to do the final settings and try to drill some holes.

If you need a carb kit with needs and seat .... I have 2 left over
from last years order. Locals seem to want twice as much for
their kits so I get them online.
I also have a one pager with a carb breakdown and settings if
you need it.

see you on the ice......

Hunter Trav
12-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Maybe a small chunk of ice in fuel tank or gas line. maybe a tiny piece of dirt or crud screwing up the float. put a bit of gas line antifreeze in the tank, wait abit then restart it. If the problem is still there, I'd be checking thecarb.

Make sure you use the right kind if your auger is a 2 stroke. Using the wrong one could cost you your auger. You need to use the stuff that has isopropanol in it, not methyl hydrate...

Kim473
12-31-2011, 05:43 AM
I would drain the gas and use #1 fresh. Bring inside and warm it up too. If it still does the same I think you might have a gumed up carb and you may have to remove it and clean the insides out. One thing that can be an issue is most small engines have a fuel filter inside the tank and this could be gumed up and not allowing the gas to be sucked up. Check in your tank and see if there is one, remove it and try starting without it. if it runs, then get a new one. don't use it without one as you will need it to filter out any dirt. Don't take much dirt to plug up a carb on the little engines. The fuel line may be gumed up too. Start with the simple fixes first.
#1 warm up
#2 check filter
#3 check fuel line
#4 fresh fuel ( premium )
#5 try it (no go )?
#6 carb clean
#7 try it.

YeeHaw
12-31-2011, 03:45 PM
If the carb is bunged up, try a product called "Seafoam", it is awsome stuff in engines. Bought an old 272 husqvarna saw, and before I put a carb kit in it, I tried it, and after abou 5min it started running fine.