PDA

View Full Version : Alaska

Roughneck Country
12-30-2011, 07:20 AM
I am going to Alaska for the fall of 2012 to hunt Dall sheep, Moose, Grizz, Caribou, wolverine & wolf. My buddy and I got a pretty smokin deal, we went around to all of the more reputable outfitters and ground them down in price until we got a price we thought was fair and our hunt includes 17 days of hunting (2 will be used for bush flying days so 15 days of actual hunting) and no trophy fees our price is an all in price for basically anything we have a tag for and all bush flights are included as well. All of our top five picks came down to the same price eventually and we just chose the outfit we thought would best suit us. Needless to say we are pretty pumped about the trip especially when we get to hunt all of these animals for less than half the cost of a Dall sheep hunt in the Yukon. The Dall sheep is our primary species and I would be happy if I got nothing but a sheep on this trip.

Question of the day is we were just wondering if we would be better off to ship our trophies home or to have the taxidermy done locally and have the finished mounts shipped home? The only reason I am asking is because I have heard a rumor abour one guy who got an Alaska brown bear or Kodiak and it got tied up in customs and eventually rotted. That is the story I heard anyway. I have also been told if the capes are salted and prepepd correctly there should be no issue even if they do end up held up for any reason. The moose and caribou I am not super concerned with since I could always get another cape, The Dall sheep and Bear are what I am worried about for obvious reasons. (We were told these are the two most likly species we will harvest as well)

I am leaning towards having the mounts done there to be on the safe side but we were thinking of having the critters shipped home and done here since shipping of pre processed mounts would be way cheaper than finished mounts especially when you start taking about something the size of an Alaska/Yukon moose.

Any advice would be appreciated especially if you have been to Alaska.

Thanks!

buckbrushoutdoors
12-30-2011, 08:31 AM
sounds like a bad ass hunt! that should be a pile of fun! What outfitter did you book your hunt with?

echo
12-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Hope it all works out well for you !

sakogreywolf
12-30-2011, 09:14 AM
This hunt sounds like it will be a great adventure; I hope it goes well for you.

I have no experience in this type of hunt, but I would agree in not taking any chances with the capes and at least getting them prepped before shipping.

Blanka
12-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. That is my dream trip right there! I just need to keep saving my pennies. I didn't realize the outfitters were willing to negotiate their prices on a mixed bag hunt like that.

Make sure you keep us all posted.

As far as taxidermy is concerned I am sure some of the guys on here that have hunted and guided out there will have some great advice for you.

gunslinger
12-30-2011, 09:58 AM
There is a couple questions i woudl like to ask on the hunt first.

1. who is the outfitter that gave you a hunt like this for 10000$ with no trophy fees.

2.Is this horse back or backpack hunt.

3.Are the two of you hunting together on this hunt or separatly with separte guides.

4.Where are you flying into to begin the hunt, (anchorage possibly).

Usually we never get back to town a couple days before and the plugging doesnt get done on the sheep.

I have hunted alaska and its absoltuly gorgeous to hunt and the outfitters are true bushman there. If you could please answer the questions above i can give you alot more info on how its going to play out.

Its a great idea to have your outfitter give you the taxidermist name so you can check it out, and usually he will be the one shipping your heads home anyway. And alot of time they will split your antlers when they ship them but your mount will come attached.

Also alot of airlines wont fly yukon moose and caribou home anyway. But you can very easily bring your sheep home.

Ryry4
12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Any outfitter worth his weight will make sure the hides are prepped properly up there regardless of what you decide. I've hunted in northern B.C. and the N.W.T. and everything was fleshed and salted in camp before it was sent out.

As far as having the taxidermy done up there, I've always brought my stuff to my local taxidermist. I know him, know his work and his pricing, etc. I'm sure there are good taxidermists up there, but I like my guy and I know he does good work.

As far as shipping, it won't be cheap. Depending on what you shoot, with export permits, etc you'll be well over $1,500.00.

Shoot straight, and make sure you post pictures.

Roughneck Country
12-30-2011, 10:13 AM
sounds like a bad ass hunt! that should be a pile of fun! What outfitter did you book your hunt with?

We ended up booking with Ultimate Alaskan Adventures. (They have 3 web sites, one sheep specific, one bear specific, and one general site) They had excellent refferences from everyone including a guy who has completed the sheep slam 6 times. (They don't specifically advertise moose or caribou as sheep and bear are their specialty but they are listed in their pricing and they have taken a few moose that broke 70"!)

To respond to Blankas coment about negotiating the price, I'm not sure if it is just the US economy or what but every outfitter in Alaska we talked to was willing to negotiate prices, and huge discounts at that. Guys advertising for $25K came down to $14K very quickly. Also every outfitter we talked to had vacancies for 2012 with the exception of one guy who only takes 2 hunters a year. I would also say we contacted around 20 outfitters in total and talked seriously to about 6 of them.

Basically when we were negotiating for all the species to be included we told the outfitter that we knew taking 6 animals each was unlikly so the risk to the outfitter is that we do get all of the animals and they have to pay for more bush flights. The reward to the outfitter is we book with them and they get business in this economy. We also have 15 actual hunting days and were told to expect 3 animals each.

Our outfitter also offered us our choice of backpack hunt (On the Chugach range for goat, sheep, and Grizz) or a fly in option for all of the species we negotiated for. The Chugach range has bigger rams but it is a foot only area so Moose was out of the question and I wanted to get one of them. The fly in area is on the Alaska range and his average rams are 9 yrs old and 37".

If anyone is interested to hunt the North there seems to be a lot of good deals to be had in Alaska right now, you just need to do your homework as anyone can set up shop there who has a guides licence.

As far as paperwork for firearms and bringing trophies back, there really isnt much to it, just need to do your homework to see what is required.

The thing I really cant believe is that I talked the wife into letting me go!!!!

gunslinger
12-30-2011, 10:19 AM
We ended up booking with Ultimate Alaskan Adventures. (They have 3 web sites, one sheep specific, one bear specific, and one general site) They had excellent refferences from everyone including a guy who has completed the sheep slam 6 times. (They don't specifically advertise moose or caribou as sheep and bear are their specialty but they are listed in their pricing and they have taken a few moose that broke 70"!)

To respond to Blankas coment about negotiating the price, I'm not sure if it is just the US economy or what but every outfitter in Alaska we talked to was willing to negotiate prices, and huge discounts at that. Guys advertising for $25K came down to $14K very quickly. Also every outfitter we talked to had vacancies for 2012 with the exception of one guy who only takes 2 hunters a year. I would also say we contacted around 20 outfitters in total and talked seriously to about 6 of them.

Basically when we were negotiating for all the species to be included we told the outfitter that we knew taking 6 animals each was unlikly so the risk to the outfitter is that we do get all of the animals and they have to pay for more bush flights. The reward to the outfitter is we book with them and they get business in this economy. We also have 15 actual hunting days and were told to expect 3 animals each.

Our outfitter also offered us our choice of backpack hunt (On the Chugach range for goat, sheep, and Grizz) or a fly in option for all of the species we negotiated for. The Chugach range has bigger rams but it is a foot only area so Moose was out of the question and I wanted to get one of them. The fly in area is on the Alaska range and his average rams are 9 yrs old and 37".

If anyone is interested to hunt the North there seems to be a lot of good deals to be had in Alaska right now, you just need to do your homework as anyone can set up shop there who has a guides licence.

As far as paperwork for firearms and bringing trophies back, there really isnt much to it, just need to do your homework to see what is required.

The thing I really cant believe is that I talked the wife into letting me go!!!!

Absoltly phenominal work on your behalf, This is what it takes to have a great experience, They are one of the best in the north for sure.
The north hunts are deffintly right now the time to book them, The internatinal hunts are the same. I just got a snow sheep in kamatchka for 11000$ and a marco polo for 16000$.

Cant wait to see your pictures man and remeber to take every second of the hunt in and lots of pictues, its going to fly by. Best of luck.

Roughneck Country
12-30-2011, 10:25 AM
There is a couple questions i woudl like to ask on the hunt first.

1. who is the outfitter that gave you a hunt like this for 10000$ with no trophy fees.

2.Is this horse back or backpack hunt.

3.Are the two of you hunting together on this hunt or separatly with separte guides.

4.Where are you flying into to begin the hunt, (anchorage possibly).

Usually we never get back to town a couple days before and the plugging doesnt get done on the sheep.

I have hunted alaska and its absoltuly gorgeous to hunt and the outfitters are true bushman there. If you could please answer the questions above i can give you alot more info on how its going to play out.

Its a great idea to have your outfitter give you the taxidermist name so you can check it out, and usually he will be the one shipping your heads home anyway. And alot of time they will split your antlers when they ship them but your mount will come attached.

Also alot of airlines wont fly yukon moose and caribou home anyway. But you can very easily bring your sheep home.

The answers to your questions in order:

Never said the hunt was only $10K

Fly in, with option to move to several differnt camp locations.

Hunting together, 1 guide and a packer

Leave from Anchorage

We made arrangements to stay an extra day in Alaska to take care of our trophies, the outfitter is bringing us to get the sheep plugged as we asked about that specifically

We are going to have them either mounted or shipped by Knights taxidermy as they are a big outfit and can put the seal on the bears as well. They were also recommended by the outfitter and several locals we talked to.

Blanka
12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info. That is really good to know. I will start doing lots of research before I drop the cash on my dream hunt.

Roughneck Country
12-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Absoltly phenominal work on your behalf, This is what it takes to have a great experience, They are one of the best in the north for sure.
The north hunts are deffintly right now the time to book them, The internatinal hunts are the same. I just got a snow sheep in kamatchka for 11000$ and a marco polo for 16000$.

Cant wait to see your pictures man and remeber to take every second of the hunt in and lots of pictues, its going to fly by. Best of luck.

Wow! that is a great price for those sheep!!! Ya we are bringing extra batteries and SD cards for the camerasfor sure! Was that you on you tube that passed up that smaller Brown/Kodiak bear only to get that big one just before the plane arrived to leave?

gunslinger
12-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Wow! that is a great price for those sheep!!! Ya we are bringing extra batteries and SD cards for the camerasfor sure! Was that you on you tube that passed up that smaller Brown/Kodiak bear only to get that big one just before the plane arrived to leave?

Yup thats me

Jamie
12-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Rough neck. I have brought 2 Grizz (Brown Bear) hides out of ALaska. One I did myself. It took 6 weeks. One I had Knights taxidermy do it took 2-3 years. As well, the cost seemed to be about $1,000 higher.

Do it yourself. Do not use Knights. Shoot your Bears and then get them sealed in Anchorage then bring them home.

Sounds like a great hunt.

Jamie

Roughneck Country
12-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Rough neck. I have brought 2 Grizz (Brown Bear) hides out of ALaska. One I did myself. It took 6 weeks. One I had Knights taxidermy do it took 2-3 years. As well, the cost seemed to be about $1,000 higher.

Do it yourself. Do not use Knights. Shoot your Bears and then get them sealed in Anchorage then bring them home.

Sounds like a great hunt.

Jamie

Ouch! 2-3 years! Was that mounted or just to have them expedite it?

gunslinger
12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Ouch! 2-3 years! Was that mounted or just to have them expedite it?

That was just expidite,

jim 1367
12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Is Knights the one that is on tv? I think it is called "Mounted in Alaska" You may want to watch a few reruns.

Roughneck Country
12-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Is Knights the one that is on tv? I think it is called "Mounted in Alaska" You may want to watch a few reruns.

Ya, it is the one on TV, I have never seen the show myself

Thumbtack
12-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey,
I hunted Dall sheep in Alaska in 2007. I would not leave it there as it will cost you a lot for shipping fees. Do not use knights. Make sure you have your export permit from the state of Alaska and your US fish and wildlife export permit you need both if you are from Canada. Your outfitter can help with them. There maybe a cite's permit for the bear so you may have to leave that. Hope that helps.

SugarCreek
12-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey,
I hunted Dall sheep in Alaska in 2007. I would not leave it there as it will cost you a lot for shipping fees. Do not use knights. Make sure you have your export permit from the state of Alaska and your US fish and wildlife export permit you need both if you are from Canada. Your outfitter can help with them. There maybe a cite's permit for the bear so you may have to leave that. Hope that helps.

You will have a blast. I had a client go to Northern B.C. this fall on a last minute hunt. He got a stone ram hunt at half price and they threw in a caribou, goat, wolf, moose and black bear at no cost. He took a great stone, a nice moose and a wolf. From what it sounds like in B.C. is if they do not fill their allocations, they will loose them the following year so at the last minute, you may be able to get in on a fantastic opportunity that may not have been within reach any other way....other than a lottery. Good luck and look forward to seeing pics of your adventure.

Marco

wolfman403
12-30-2011, 11:51 PM
You guys are making me drool. Might have to check the life insurance policy on the wife.......LOL

jim 1367
12-31-2011, 06:53 AM
Congratulations on booking a great hunt. As said above you probably need a Cites permit for Grizzly and that may take some time. From BC mine (going to the US) took 10 days for the permit to be issued. Really did not have a choice but to leave it there. Plus It is getting harder every year with moose and caribou horns so you might not have much choice there either.

If I have the time I drive now even if it takes days. I have driven from Pa to Alberta and British Columbia numerous time in order to avoid the problems associated with bringing things home. Plus you don't have to worry about baggage,meat or missed connections.

And lastly, I would bring my work to a taxidermist within a reasonable distance from home. That way if things go haywire you can deal with it. I am having BIG issues with a taxidermist from Wisconsin :argue2::argue2:that I met at a Hunting show in Las Vegas(gunslinger you may know who I am talking about). He has gone off the deep end and I (along with many others ) will probably end up in legal action. Plus you run the risk of losing your animals. And being 14 hours away you can't jump in your truck and run over there. Unfortunatly morals and ethics are missing in all types of bussiness'. If you have to leave it there stay on top of it and get a date that they will ship them. When that date comes follow up but DO NOT let it slide with out a follow up. Stay in touch with whoever you deal with. It is too easy to get lost in the shuffle

Just my opinion, Jim

scruffy
01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I was given an $1,120 U.S. bill for the paperwork from the expediter in Alaska. That included the $65 box and bleaching the skull of the brown bear. This is because Canadians need a CITES permit. I sent them the cheque and told them that the charge was ridiculous !!! :mad0100: It does not include shipping.

SugarCreek
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Jim1365

10 days for a CITIES permit......wow that is outstanding. The average turn around time on CITIES permits out of Ottawa that I have found has been 2-3 months but have waited as long as 5 months. Had the Ottawa department that processes the CITIES permits loose an application once (I fax them and always have the confirmation status). The challange in the CITIES applications is coordinating the time lines for an export permit from Fish and Wildlife to go with the time it takes to get the CITIES back.

Marco

SugarCreek
01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I was given an $1,120 U.S. bill for the paperwork from the expediter in Alaska. That included the $65 box and bleaching the skull of the brown bear. This is because Canadians need a CITES permit. I sent them the cheque and told them that the charge was ridiculous !!! :mad0100: It does not include shipping.

Scruffy

One of the things that has changed over the last few years is that you need to be an Importer/Exporter with the US Fish and Wildlife to be able to ship yourself out of country. I remember being able to mail a bear rug to the States (with CITIES and export permit) with Canada post.....and ship a deer head with a common courier or trucking company to the States with appropriate export permit.......without any questions....

Not any more. In todays day and age, you need to go through a shipper that is certified to do all import/export of wildlife to ensure that everything is done properly. I use Talon Distribution out of Edmonton as does many Western Taxidermist that need to ship finished taxidermy work. The costs are high but at the end of the day, your international clients get their work and no hold ups at the border. I know the costs seem high.....but you are paying for a service that very few individuals can offer.....hope this helps you understand some of the high costs and the changes that the industry has had to adapt too over the last few years.

One other thing is that anyone from any country requires a CITIES permit to transport animals that are protected under the CITIES treaty across international lines......not just Canadians.......

Marco

mcreg
01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I use RON"s Wildlife Services out of Vancouver area to clear all my trophies, be they from AK/Africa/Australia/Asia or wherever. Also the US F&G should give you the required export permits when they seal the hide & head? That should allow it into Canada and Ron will take care of the rest, then ship it to your taxidermist or wherever you tell him after he get the approprate clearances. Ron has never charged me for storage?
If you have never hunted in AK you're in for an experience!! The Outfitters there don't work, nor are they regulated, like they do on Canadian soil! The USA is the worlds' largest capitalistic economy -for a reason? It's all about the $$$$$!!!! Good luck

sheephunter
01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I've never used anyone to import my trophies into Canada...I've always done it myself but as has been pointed out, you need a very good exporter from the country being shipped from. Importing them is actually pretty simple and painless.

I just had a buddy have a very bad experience with a grizzly hide. He's a BC resident and shot a grizz in BC and then decided to take it to Montana for taxidermy. When he showed up at the border he declared that he had the bear hide but he hadn't got a CITES permit so the hide was seized and despite several appeals is going to be destroyed.