PDA

View Full Version : Sask whitetail hunt

hunted
12-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Tried to do a poll but couldn't figure it out if anyone wants to post a poll go ahead. So after the fact what did you think about the changes to this years hunt? And the big question are you going to go back in 2012 if it stays as is?

I know it was a tuff season with the lack of snow, warm weather and low deer numbers. But as of now I am saying no to going again. Being stuck to 1 zone really sucks when tuff conditions. Also I missed the best week of my Alberta hunt. If these 2 things don't change for next year I am not going!

elkhunter11
12-30-2011, 04:10 PM
The regulations won't stop me, since I always hunt in one zone anyways.

buckkiller321
12-30-2011, 04:19 PM
What are the zones that we can choose from? And when do we have to apply? I have never crossed the border but was hoping to this coming season.

Thanks for any info.

macee
12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Need to change the up front tag purchase at time of draw or allow more hunting days. Can't justify shelling out that kind of money to only hunt on a few days so far ahead.

elkhunter11
12-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Need to change the up front tag purchase at time of draw or allow more hunting days. Can't justify shelling out that kind of money to only hunt on a few days so far ahead.

I think Saskatchewan has that part correct, I only wish Alberta would charge for a tag as soon as it is drawn. It would keep the people that aren't at all serious from applying for some of the hard to draw tags, then letting them go to waste by not purchasing them.

Springer
12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
I think Saskatchewan has that part correct, I only wish Alberta would charge for a tag as soon as it is drawn. It would keep the people that aren't at all serious from applying for some of the hard to draw tags, then letting them go to waste by not purchasing them.

I couldn't agree with you more on this !!! In the old days did we not send in a visa number or cheque and it was cashed or billed as soon as the draw happened.

ishootbambi
12-30-2011, 05:55 PM
ill be going if im drawn. i have my eye on a new area though as it seems the vultures have found me and moved in to where i was. that and the oil activity has taken off and ruined a few things for me.

buckkiller321
12-30-2011, 07:18 PM
What are the zones that we can choose from? And when do we have to apply? I have never crossed the border but was hoping to this coming season.
:thinking-006:
Thanks for any info.

hunted
12-30-2011, 07:25 PM
:thinking-006:
Thanks for any info.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=46208336-ee71-4f28-aa8c-02628abb27bc&MediaID=4924&Filename=2011+Big+Game+and+Spring+Hunting+Guide.pd f&l=English

the info is in there under canadian resident whitetail.

ishootbambi
12-30-2011, 07:27 PM
you can choose from any zone in the province far as i know. draws were in may last year if i remember right. tag is around 140, plus youll need to buy a habitat stamp when you get there.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/hunting

hunted
12-30-2011, 07:29 PM

I think the difference between Ab and Sask on this is you have to use the tag Nov25-30. Thats a pretty narrow window! If they want paid up front that is fine but don't restrict our days to 6???

ishootbambi
12-30-2011, 07:34 PM
I think the difference between Ab and Sask on this is you have to use the tag Nov25-30. Thats a pretty narrow window! If they want paid up front that is fine but don't restrict our days to 6???

there are some zones that allow you all of november, and others that are nearly 3 full months. the farmland zones are restrictive at one week though. if you want to hunt more than a week there are options.

elkhunter11
12-30-2011, 08:11 PM

Some Alberta seasons are no longer, some are even shorter, and I would still like to have the applicant billed, as soon as he draws a tag.

Blackice1106
12-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I actually believe that sask has it right. We being non residents of the province complain that it is now being too restrictive however in many other topics all i read is that Alberta trophy quality is no good, too many hunters, etc. Well, if Alberta would close some of its doors or have shorter seasons for non residents our quality of game at home would improve.

Sask is protecting its wildlife and keeping it to its residents. Maybe Alberta should take a lesson.

And dont bring in argument about the monies generate and all that either as the means to fund F&W. Sask does just fine.

Also they have priority to their tags first to their general residents and then the outfitters.

Born in Sask, nearly lived here in Alberta my whole life and will always go back so long as I can.

Drop_Tine
12-30-2011, 08:29 PM
I actually believe that sask has it right. We being non residents of the province complain that it is now being too restrictive however in many other topics all i read is that Alberta trophy quality is no good, too many hunters, etc. Well, if Alberta would close some of its doors or have shorter seasons for non residents our quality of game at home would improve.

Sask is protecting its wildlife and keeping it to its residents. Maybe Alberta should take a lesson.

And dont bring in argument about the monies generate and all that either as the means to fund F&W. Sask does just fine.

Also they have priority to their tags first to their general residents and then the outfitters.

Born in Sask, nearly lived here in Alberta my whole life and will always go back so long as I can.

This has been discussed about 1000 x in the last year !

Blackice1106
12-30-2011, 08:57 PM
This has been discussed about 1000 x in the last year !

Simply stating my position and answering the original question.

Popcan
12-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Definitely going back. It's only a hop skip & a jump away & can provide another opportunity at a big buck.

Sakoman
12-30-2011, 11:09 PM
I have only ever hunted one fasrm in my six trips so the rules don't bother me. Would be nice to not have to go on the set days though.

ishootbambi
12-30-2011, 11:13 PM
I have only ever hunted one fasrm in my six trips so the rules don't bother me. Would be nice to not have to go on the set days though.

i think the biggest improvement they could make from here would be to set out 1 week of the 3 for the draw. same amount of hunters spread out over 3 weeks instead of packed into 1 would reduce pressure for all. with that i seriously doubt they would have to reduce can res at all to make an impact. i really believe the biggest problem right now is everyone there at the same time, making it appear to be a bigger problem than it is. the only places that seem to have a legit numbers issue is right near meadow lake and hudson bay.

Sakoman
12-31-2011, 07:26 AM
i think the biggest improvement they could make from here would be to set out 1 week of the 3 for the draw. same amount of hunters spread out over 3 weeks instead of packed into 1 would reduce pressure for all. with that i seriously doubt they would have to reduce can res at all to make an impact. i really believe the biggest problem right now is everyone there at the same time, making it appear to be a bigger problem than it is. the only places that seem to have a legit numbers issue is right near meadow lake and hudson bay.

I agree. While the # of Can. Res. hunters has increase over the last 5 years the total for the entire province is just over 4000 hunters for the data that is published on the SERM website. If they broke that number in half or thirds it should go a long way to making it less busy. Although where I hunt I have only seen 2 other Can. Res. hunters in 6 years.

Anyone think they will institute the hunter host program?