PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie rangefinder question

hunterjon
12-30-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm looking for a little help with laser rangefinders. First off, I have a budget of about $400 for a rangefinder. I have been looking online and have found three which have caught my eye. First is a Leupold RX-600, second is a Leupold RX-750 TBR and the third is the Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC.

I know that the reflective target limits for each are 600, 750 and 1000 yards respectively. What I have been seeing though is that each report having different distances that deer sized game can be ranged at. The Leupolds are at 400 yards and 500 yards and the Bushnell is rated at 325 yards.

I'm looking for real life experiences with these units. Will any, or all, of these units be able to range deer to the respective ranges or further or is that best case scenario.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jon

catnthehat
12-30-2011, 07:37 PM
A buddy uses the Leupold 740 and really likes it.
As he says, he got it mainly for bow hunting, but has found it useful in rifle hunting as well, and never has and never will likley shoot past 300 yards.
Cat

Donny Bear
12-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I would save my money I have used leupold and am a avid fan of leupold scopes the Leica is the answer. I just made the change after two years of depending on hunting partners to range animals that I could not range for 200 extra you will never regret!!!!

Outdoorfanatic
12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
If your wishing to use the range finder for bow hunting or in the case where you'll be still hunting and are able to pre-range reflective targets within your comfortable shooting distance then the bushnell 1000 arc will probably be the satisfactory answer and save you some dollars. However if your thinking long distance rifle hunting particularly on the fly then none of them will due the job. More then likely the reliable range on soft targets especially if the weather conditions are suspect is 1/3 that of the posted range on the unit. So if your unit says Bushnell 1000 arc then on a deer when the weather is perfectly clear would only be at best 300 yards. Real life experience with that Bushnell unit only 3 weeks ago has me doubting event the 1/3 rule. I was on a straight cut line just off a secondary road, weather conditions were perfect. Down the cut line stood two bull moose broad side. The range finder would not pick them up. I ranged a big spruce tree a little better the half way point between myself and the moose and it said 169. I'm sure that those moose where closer to the tree than I was, so I'm estimating that they were no more then 300 from myself. But like I say the range finder would not confirm my eyeball estimate.

If all you want is to bow hunt then look to redfield, I believe they are owned by Leupold and have a price point of $120 last I checked at cabelas. If long distance rifle hunting is your thing then save your money and when the time is right look at Lieca or Zies or maybe swarvoski; something that although is pricey is something that really works and will last past your life time.

Check out Christian Arms and The Gun Werks store on the internet these guys specialize in long distance shooting.

hunterjon
12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys,

I was looking for real world experiences and I'm getting them, I appreciate it. I have bowhunted but not for a few years. I primarily hunt with a rifle and recently went to Southeast Sask for a whitetail hunt which I really could have used a rangefinder. My dad had one that could range out to 800 yards on bush but not onto the deer which would have been around 400 yards away. It was a REALLY big whitetail. I didn't take a shot but am trying to prepare for another go next year and want everything I can to make it a successful trip.

I don't plan on letting any lead fly over 500 yards but would like the best cost efficient rangefinder I can get (my daughters dance competitions eat alot of my paychecks).

Jon

catnthehat
12-30-2011, 11:22 PM
It would never hurt to wait aand save and get a good rangefinder like Zeiss or leica.
I have owned both, and experienced none of the inconsistencies that the cheaper one shave.

My Friend's leupold runs out in some cases and my Zeiss keeps on ranging .
My Leica Geovids were also excellent but very heavy.
Cat

Speckle55
12-31-2011, 06:45 PM
I have a Leipold 1000 TBR and love it .. it has the illuminalted number in orange/red so at low light works good also has the true Ballistics for up hill or down. and it is $500 range on sale. it is very light hand held and has the neck landyard.. i have ranged things up too 1200 yards..

just my opinion
David

hunterjon
12-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Speck,

What is the furthest range you've had on an animal with the Leupold. I was just looking at the specs on the net here and it looks promising, but as Cat said he has a friend with one that doesn't do so well.

Jon

bigjeff
12-31-2011, 10:09 PM
The furthest opportunity I have had to range an animal was 740yds with my Leupold 1000. Given the conditions on that day, that seemed to be as far as it would quickly grab a distance. I was shooting freehand without a rest while standing.

I couldn't personally imagine shooting an animal at barely half that distance. As cool as a 1000 or a 1500 plus yard range finder would be, maybe the more experienced guys can shed some light on its practical hunting applications.

Jeff:)

tkhiebs
12-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Just got the swaro laser guides for Xmas love them. Save up for a pair of those you won't be disappointed.

catnthehat
12-31-2011, 11:27 PM
I think the biggest difference you will see on the less expensive range finders is when you are trying to range soft targets in failing light, then the extra money spent comes into play.
Cat

Speckle55
12-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Speck,

What is the furthest range you've had on an animal with the Leupold. I was just looking at the specs on the net here and it looks promising, but as Cat said he has a friend with one that doesn't do so well.

Joni did a Bull elk this year at 850 yards but i think some times yuu have to move to the side of animal to get reading .. my partner took a mulie at 422 last year with my 7mm mag with BDC on it and this year i range a deer to at 640 and last year we range mulies at 560 at Coal Valley Mine birms from 40 south.. useing range finder with a BDC is deadly:fighting0007: with the right conditions.its like shooting gophers at long range:bad_boys_20:!!

David