PDA

View Full Version : Baitcaster Backlashes

dodger
12-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Just throwing this out there for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc&feature=related

Dodger.

horsetrader
12-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Just throwing this out there for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc&feature=related

Dodger.

Have used that system many times last couple years have never had to cut backlash out works awesome

andreis45
12-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Amazing! Will make use of that in spring.:scared0018:

Deb
12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Great video, Dodger - now, can you please post the link that shows me how to prevent backlashes from happening at all?!

I'll never forget fishing with Claude. You remember him, don't you? He was at my house for the get-together. He insisted I try his Shimano Calais and new fishing rod. He takes off in his boat, we take off in ours. Find a spot, try the reel - sweet, like I've been baitcasting for years. Second cast as smooth as the first. Ha. Little did I know I was being set up by the baitcasting sprites.

Third cast ended up with the mother of all birds' nests, as big as a small dog .. and guess who's headed our way? I turn away from Claude's (fast) approaching boat and scramble to get the nest out (wish I'd known about the thumb trick then!). I'm certain that, if he's got this fancy schmancy Calais, then the red line he fishes with must be uber-expensive, too. I must have stripped a third of the line off the reel before I got the knots out. Oh I was embarrassed. But he was a real gentleman and said not to worry. I wanted to make good on the line, since I "knew" it had to be pricey and I "broke" it ... turns out it was good ol' Cajun Red :)

Don't know how this turned into a long story, but here we are, at the end of it.

Have a great New Year,
Deb

WayneChristie
12-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks dodger, wish Id seen that before I cut a bunch of good powerpro off my big reel!

azn_rice_man
12-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Great video, Dodger - now, can you please post the link that shows me how to prevent backlashes from happening at all?!
Deb

Here's one that was pretty informative...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-uSrX-DsY&feature=related
:sHa_shakeshout:

Eddy62
12-31-2011, 06:43 AM
thats incredible..i bought a bait caster this week and decided to try it out down my hallway and did i ever have a birds nest so out came my olfa knife lol what a mess its a good thing i put on cheap mono while i am learning to master this reel.

was going to load it with my spool off suffix 832 braid boy am i glad i did not do that.

txs dodger thats a great video and i no it with help me out alot as im not finished learning yet haha............................later:)

lone wolf
12-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Good video tip !!

Worst I ever had was when I was river fishing and neglected to notice the small bush behind me when I was trying to crank a heavy spoon across to the far bank. The treble caught a branch, my thumb was nowhere near the spool and the resulting birds nest was absolutely incredible. Nothing was going to save the first 40 yards of line.

dodger
12-31-2011, 11:48 AM

I'll never forget fishing with Claude. You remember him, don't you? He was at my house for the get-together. He insisted I try his Shimano Calais and new fishing rod. He takes off in his boat, we take off in ours. Find a spot, try the reel - sweet, like I've been baitcasting for years. Second cast as smooth as the first. Ha. Little did I know I was being set up by the baitcasting sprites.

Third cast ended up with the mother of all birds' nests, as big as a small dog .. and guess who's headed our way? I turn away from Claude's (fast) approaching boat and scramble to get the nest out (wish I'd known about the thumb trick then!). I'm certain that, if he's got this fancy schmancy Calais, then the red line he fishes with must be uber-expensive, too. I must have stripped a third of the line off the reel before I got the knots out. Oh I was embarrassed. But he was a real gentleman and said not to worry. I wanted to make good on the line, since I "knew" it had to be pricey and I "broke" it ... turns out it was good ol' Cajun Red :)

Don't know how this turned into a long story, but here we are, at the end of it.

Have a great New Year,
Deb

Hello Deb.
Wishing you and your hubby the best in the New Year !!

Who can forget Claude, I realy enjoyed fishing with him. I sent him an email awhile back and we tried to meet up for a day of Pike fishing but his health was off a bit. He was one guy who did not spare a dime on his fishing gear :)

I think I still have his email address, I should fire off an email and see how he is doing.

Wishing you the best.

Dodger.