PDA

View Full Version : San Juan Worm

commieboy
12-30-2011, 09:00 PM
So, I've often wondered if simply using a red hook would make for a good San Juan Worm for nymphing. No chenille, no wire wrapping, no bead head. Just a shiny red hook. Any thoughts? Have any of you tried it?

Guitarplayingfish
12-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm sure it would work... maybe not as well as a typical one but the right presentation at the right time and fish will hit anything.

Scott N
12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I think it would need more weight.

Daceminnow
12-30-2011, 09:18 PM
yep for sure. seen it done. if you find a red kahle, they're best. i wrap my own using a kahle with 3 different gauges of wire. all i use for worms when i fish them. i really hate fishing them. good weight though. they do catch fish.

Dace

Daceminnow
12-30-2011, 09:20 PM

just use in conjunction with some heavier bugs or use shot scott.

Dace

commieboy
12-30-2011, 09:28 PM

I tend to use my SJWs as part of a tandem rig, with the weight being on the bottom, and the SJW higher in the water column. When I tie chenille versions, I don't load any weight into them. Just chenille and thread, and sometimes a bit of peacock herl.

Dace, I checked out that hook you mentioned. I'm definitely going to have to get some of those.

Hey Guitarplayingfish do you play electric, acoustic or classical?

Daceminnow
12-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Dace, I checked out that hook you mentioned. I'm definitely going to have to get some of those.

send me your address and i'll mail you a couple samples tied in two different size wire. i don't tie. JR does all the tying, but i can wrap wire like a son of a gun. i just have to use his vise while he's sleeping.

Dace

npauls
12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
The only fish I have ever caught on a SJW was on a bare red hook. I can't seem to get them on SJW's ever.

chubbdarter
12-30-2011, 11:16 PM
TMC200R wrapped with bright red mono makes a great SJW, but the high percentage of getting a tooth less wonder isnt worth the risk

scel
12-30-2011, 11:40 PM
TMC200R wrapped with bright red mono makes a great SJW, but the high percentage of getting a tooth less wonder isnt worth the risk

I am curious why do you seem to dislike whitefish so much?
(btw, I really like that you call them 'toothless wonders', it is rather endearing for a fish that does not have really that many distinct features).

For their size, they put up a pretty good fight. And they are a reasonable consolation prize. While I would rather catch trout than whitefish, I would rather catch whitefish than no fish at all.

Guitarplayingfish
12-31-2011, 12:08 AM
I tend to use my SJWs as part of a tandem rig, with the weight being on the bottom, and the SJW higher in the water column. When I tie chenille versions, I don't load any weight into them. Just chenille and thread, and sometimes a bit of peacock herl.

Hey Guitarplayingfish do you play electric, acoustic or classical?

I play everything... Acoustic is my main,but I play them all... I just sold my classical. I also play drums, bass, harmonica, piano, djemba, accordion... etc. haha. :sHa_shakeshout:

I guess my name should have been The-Musical-Fish

hahaha

commieboy
12-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Toothless wonders! I hooked a couple today and I still can't get the stink off of my hands.

For the last few weeks all I was catching were these things... some BIG ones, too. I almost convinced myself they were just as exciting as trout. Then a couple weeks backs I hooked a small brownie.... The difference was incredible! I almost agree with you chubb. But I'd still rather a whitefish than nothing.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. And Dace, thanks for the offer. I'll send you a pm.

Any other unconventional SJW ideas? I confess, this thread was somewhat inspired by the Wire Worm thread started earlier. I like the look of some of those designs.

commieboy
12-31-2011, 12:14 AM
I play everything... Acoustic is my main,but I play them all... I just sold my classical. I also play drums, bass, harmonica, piano, djemba, accordion... etc. haha. :sHa_shakeshout:

I guess my name should have been The-Musical-Fish

hahaha

Too bad you sold the classical. I play classical and I swear that my favourite treble strings are deep sea fluorocarbon leaders. They sound great and they're damn cheap compared to packaged strings.

Guitarplayingfish
12-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Too bad you sold the classical. I play classical and I swear that my favourite treble strings are deep sea fluorocarbon leaders. They sound great and they're damn cheap compared to packaged strings.

hahahahahaha thats really funny and amazing if it is true.