PDA

View Full Version : hunting in the dark?

JeepJK
12-31-2011, 08:46 AM
I was just wondering if the sunrise and sunset rules apply to animals like coyotes and rabbits like they do for big game animals?

KBF
12-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes they apply.

deanmc
12-31-2011, 08:52 AM
They apply to the discharge of any firearm. Even if you are punching paper I believe.

JeepJK
12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
What is "punching paper"?
Does it apply to bow also?

deanmc
12-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Shooting targets. I thought I had a link to that in my favorites. I cant find it, second guessing myself now.

NewAlbertan
12-31-2011, 09:01 AM
30 mins after sundown IIRC.
(punching paper = target practice)

just not safe if you can't see...:scared:

deanmc
12-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Discharge of firearm at night
53 Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a
person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in
section 28.
1996 c33 s39

Found it. Section 53 of the wildlife act
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/W10.pdf

I am not a bowhunter and have little to no knowledge in that area.

NewAlbertan
12-31-2011, 09:12 AM
(thanks Dean...)

specifically:

Hunting in a dangerous manner
27(1) A person shall not hunt
(a) in a manner that endangers other persons, or
(b) without due regard for the safety of other persons.
(2) Without limiting section 28, a person shall be regarded as
having hunted in contravention of subsection (1)(a) or (b) if, while
the person was hunting,
(a) the person was in physical possession of a firearm, and
(b) the conditions of light prevailing at that time were such
that visibility was less than the shorter of
(i) the potential range of fire of the firearm, or
RSA 2000
Section 28 Chapter W-10
WILDLIFE ACT

(ii) 1/2 mile,
unless the person proves that the hunting did not endanger any
other person or that the person did not act without due regard for
the safety of other persons, as the case may be.
1984 cW-9.1 s29
Hunting at night
28 A person shall not hunt wildlife, except by trapping, during
the period commencing at 1/2 hour after sunset and ending at 1/2
hour before sunrise the following day.

JeepJK
12-31-2011, 09:34 AM
so what it all comes down to is that i cant try shoot bunnies with my bow in the evenings

Lefty-Canuck
12-31-2011, 09:39 AM
so what it all comes down to is that i cant try shoot bunnies with my bow in the evenings

You can but you just can't hunt them outside of legal hours. You cannot "jacklight" anything here. Evening (within a half hour after sundown) is fine, night is not.

LC

duffy4
12-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Some years back there was a resolution at the AF&GA conference to allow landowners to discharge a firearm during the prohibited times when shooting at a fox by the hen house or a coyote in the yard or that sort of thing.

I don't recall what became of it.

When I was in Australia I went "night hunting" rabbits with a couple of mates. It was awfully difficult to get used to doing something that was illegal back home. but I shot a dozen bunnies in the spotlight and we cleaned them all and put them on ice in coolers.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/2au-rabbits.jpg

I haven't tried in back in Alberta though.

walking buffalo
12-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Some years back there was a resolution at the AF&GA conference to allow landowners to discharge a firearm during the prohibited times when shooting at a fox by the hen house or a coyote in the yard or that sort of thing.

Alberta has legislation that disallows ANYONE, including Treaty members, from hunting at night.

Allowing hunting of wildlife outside of present legal hours would open the door to Treaty night hunting.

catnthehat
12-31-2011, 11:07 AM
30 mins after sundown IIRC.
(punching paper = target practice)

just not safe if you can't see...:scared:
Only if you are not on a certified range.
Many ranges have night shooting available - our biathlon range is lit up, and out trap and skeet range will be in the future.
Cat

lannie
12-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Only if you are not on a certified range.
Many ranges have night shooting available - our biathlon range is lit up, and out trap and skeet range will be in the future.
Cat

Our trap club has night shooting and its a lot of fun. Clays are white top instead of orange. You can shoot trap later in the fall when we lose all the daylight and it is fun ! Need good lights for it and teaches people not to aim their shotgun too.

duffy4
12-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Alberta has legislation that disallows ANYONE, including Treaty members, from hunting at night.

Allowing hunting of wildlife outside of present legal hours would open the door to Treaty night hunting.

"hunting wildlife" was the point of a lot of debate as I recall. If I am shooting at a coyote in the farm yard that has been pestering my livestock and pets, am I "hunting" or shooting a pest.

I don't see how it would be in any way connected to Indians hunting at night.

hunt any wildlife or discharge a firearm between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise. (See sunrise/sunset table)

I wonder why the province includes the "discharge of firearms" as they claim that firearms legislation is Federal when anyone asks that handguns be removed from the list of prohibited items.

walking buffalo
12-31-2011, 11:41 AM
"hunting wildlife" was the point of a lot of debate as I recall. If I am shooting at a coyote in the farm yard that has been pestering my livestock and pets, am I "hunting" or shooting a pest.

Coyotes are Wildlife.

I'm not surprised.

Lefty-Canuck
12-31-2011, 11:43 AM

If the deer come in and eat bales in the yard are they considered "pests"? :) I think that is the point WB is making.

As we know how people read and interpret the rules can vary.....take the same statement from the regs and depending on what someone wants to read into it you can get many different answers....the "direct communication" discussion comes to mind....

LC

duffy4
12-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Coyotes are Wildlife.

I'm not surprised.

Sorry I thought it was clear enough but...

In the debate I referred to the discussion was "is there a difference (or should there be) between "hunting" and shooting a pest."

As in, a landowner can get a "damage permit" to shoot geese in his grain before the regular season (shooting a pest) but they are not allowed to set out decoys and use calls (hunting)

elkhunter11
12-31-2011, 12:16 PM
In the debate I referred to the discussion was "is there a difference (or should there be) between "hunting" and shooting a pest."

It really doesn't matter whether you are hunting or shooting a pest, if you are using a firearm,the legislation covers both.

or discharge a firearm between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise

Lefty-Canuck
12-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Define "pest"....is it a coyote in the yard at night?....is it a deer eating bales in the yard?.....is it a moose calf eating apple trees?.....all of the above or none?

Who decides the definition? I don't think SRD has ever said its ok to shoot a "pest" at night......unless maybe a human life was in danger.

The rules are clear and laid out right now with little "gray area" best way to set the "rules".

LC

Donkey Oatey
12-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Define "pest"....is it a coyote in the yard at night?....is it a deer eating bales in the yard?.....is it a moose calf eating apple trees?.....all of the above or none?

Who decides the definition? I don't think SRD has ever said its ok to shoot a "pest" at night......unless maybe a human life was in danger.

The rules are clear and laid out right now with little "gray area" best way to set the "rules".

LC

Actually coyotes are considered a nuisance under the Ag Pests Act. Wildlife Act covers issues in regards to wildlife and hunting. What Duffy is pointing out is killing a pest (or nuisance) does not constitute hunting under the Wildlife Act therefore would not fall under the hunt at night.

Lefty-Canuck
12-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Actually coyotes are considered a nuisance under the Ag Pests Act. Wildlife Act covers issues in regards to wildlife and hunting. What Duffy is pointing out is killing a pest (or nuisance) does not constitute hunting under the Wildlife Act therefore would not fall under the hunt at night.

Thank you good to know thats why I was asking. Who decides if a coyote is taken under 1 act or the other....or both?

What if the coyote was shot at night over a bait pile under a yard light?....is that hunting? or pest control.

LC

Donkey Oatey
12-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Thank you good to know thats why I was asking. Who decides if a coyote is taken under 1 act or the other....or both?

LC

Not sure. I would also consider if shooting at night would fall under federal jurisdiction as careless use of a firearm?

I guess all in all if you do not have livestock or other items to protect and are baiting coyotes in its prolly hunting.

JeepJK
12-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I got the answers I was looking for when I started this thread, thank you all very much. But got me thinking of more. Back to the target shooting topic, it seems like alot of you are refering to firearms, is it unlawful for me to go out after dark and practice target shooting with my bow?

elkhunter11
12-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Wildlife Act covers issues in regards to wildlife and hunting. What Duffy is pointing out is killing a pest (or nuisance) does not constitute hunting under the Wildlife Act therefore would not fall under the hunt at night.

You are still ignoring the "or discharge a firearm between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise". The Wildlife act specifically lists the only exception as being a lawfully established and legally operated shooting range. Unless you are shooting that pest at the shooting range described, and that shooting range allows the shooting of animals, you are still in violation of the Wildlife Act.

gunslinger
12-31-2011, 12:44 PM

When I was in Australia I went "night hunting" rabbits with a couple of mates. It was awfully difficult to get used to doing something that was illegal back home. but I shot a dozen bunnies in the spotlight and we cleaned them all and put them on ice in coolers.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/2au-rabbits.jpg

I haven't tried in back in Alberta though.

You bet duffy that was some of the most fun ive experienced, It was actually fairly hard to get onto at first finding them in the spotlight, becasue a guy isnt used to it. The feral cats were the hardest to find and hunt, extremely fast and very smart.
The night eel hunting was extremely quick and exciting, they are so strong and powerful once you forked em you had to get down on your knees and get em up on the bank, oh man you want to see pucker factor.

Night hunting is a great way to spend a few hours after big game hunting in countries that allow it.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/gunsligner/IMG_1666.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/gunsligner/IMG_1648.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/gunsligner/IMG_1676.jpg

Salavee
12-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Jeep... Your Bow isn't classified as a firearm

Lefty-Canuck
12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
I got the answers I was looking for when I started this thread, thank you all very much. But got me thinking of more. Back to the target shooting topic, it seems like alot of you are refering to firearms, is it unlawful for me to go out after dark and practice target shooting with my bow?

a bow is not a "firearm" as it does not send a projectile out faster than 500fps.....you would have to see if the rules state "firearm" or "weapon"......a bow is considered a "weapon" as is a firearm.

LC

HunterDave
12-31-2011, 01:18 PM

I don't think that it would matter what the regulation was if there was a fox in the hen house. I'm just sayin'.:scared0018:

uglyelk
12-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Interesting thread. PC terminology has made it's way into the regs and they are now confusing as a result.

There was a time when the critters we hunted and ate were called game. The bunny huggers started calling everything wildlife because they couldn't cope with the idea bambi on a plate.

When I was a kid growing up the majority of things were classified by were they stood in the food chain. Domestic animals were raised to eat and refered to as livestock, they were someones property. Game was wild critters we hunted to eat or for sport. Varmits were undesirable species we removed from our land.

I think the hunting regulations still refer to game when they use the new age term wildlife.

If you are dispatching varmits on your land your engaged in eradicating pests and not hunting. Since many pests are nocturnal you may have to fling some lead in the dark. is it legal? Should be!

You can't shoot anyones livestock day or night.:sHa_shakeshout:

You can only hunt game during legal hours as spelled in the regs.

If deer or moose are eating your crops they are still game and are governed by the hunting regs they are not varmits/pests. I believe property owners can apply to Fish and Wildlife for reimbursment for crop damage?

So if you legaly can't shoot varmits on your land at night is fish and wildlife going to pay for your chickens and eggs every time a fox gets in the hen house?

Coyotes in calving season....I'd say shoot them pests day or night!

Porcupines in the tack shed?

Think people have right to protect they property against varmits day or night.

Donkey Oatey
12-31-2011, 02:03 PM
You are still ignoring the "or discharge a firearm between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise". The Wildlife act specifically lists the only exception as being a lawfully established and legally operated shooting range. Unless you are shooting that pest at the shooting range described, and that shooting range allows the shooting of animals, you are still in violation of the Wildlife Act.

Sorry not ignoring it. Now what does the Wildlife Act actually say?

Hunting at night
28 A person shall not hunt wildlife, except by trapping, during
the period commencing at 1/2 hour after sunset and ending at 1/2
hour before sunrise the following day.
Then it says.
Discharge of firearm at night
53 Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a
person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in
section 28.

Now that I have looked at the Ag Pests Act it mentions that you have to follow the Wildlife Act and even if you have a form 7 you can't be in contravention of the Wildlife Act. So shooting after dark is illegal.

huntinstuff
12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Ok, just to play the bad guy, I submit this directly from the Alberta Regulations:

Other Animals
Porcupine, rabbit, hare, skunk, raccoon and woodchuck may be hunted, but not trapped**, without a licence throughout the province, at all times of the year.

At all times of the year..........hmmmmm

Bow is not a firearm............hmmmmmm

someone please straighten me out

walking buffalo
12-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Ok, just to play the bad guy, I submit this directly from the Alberta Regulations:

Other Animals
Porcupine, rabbit, hare, skunk, raccoon and woodchuck may be hunted, but not trapped**, without a licence throughout the province, at all times of the year.

At all times of the year..........hmmmmm

Bow is not a firearm............hmmmmmm

someone please straighten me out

Interesting. I like it!

But this does not make you a bad guy, it just adds to your beer credit.... :happy0180:

Who is gonna test the water? :innocent:

Speckle55
12-31-2011, 04:46 PM
do a Ralph Klien Shoot Shovel and Shut-up..

I am pretty sure in Fed Court it has been won native,s can use head lights if safe..

i have shot at night too at range

Snowdog
12-29-2012, 04:15 AM
As an Australian living here in AB, i must ask the question..........how can it be safe to not only discharge a firearm at night and an animal but also do it from a moving vehicle in Australia (with our strict gun control and all) but not in Canada?

just sayin'

Snowdog
12-29-2012, 04:18 AM
I know here in Strathcona county the county can issue permits to negate the "183m" rule for dwellings, mostly for farmers who back into treehuggers on acerages, anyone ever hear of a issued permit for night shooting (other than the racoon thing)?

danger7
12-29-2012, 08:43 AM
It's not legal and probably shouldn't be as for identifying your target can be difficult enough during daylight hours let along night time and even with a light you still have limited range of sight so to me not a good plan. I know most guys are talking in your yard at coyotes but how do you know one of your livestock isn't bedded down in the distance or something. Night hunting or shooting outside the range makes it difficult to properly identify what is in the background of the shot vs daylight. Just my two cents

dugh
12-29-2012, 09:43 AM
2012 regs. page 18 #11 it is illegal to hunt wildlife or discharge a firearm

Speckle55
12-29-2012, 11:32 AM

This is the answer to Provincial Law and hunting at night for treaty members as most hunted at night when they were signed

fyi

David:)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2006/12/21/hunt-supremecourt.html