PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in a tent on a lake in 60+km/h winds...

Geezle
12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Feels like sitting on the edge of disaster!:shark:

lifesaflyin
12-31-2011, 01:33 PM
if your in a properly staked down ice cube you have nothing to fear, had mine in 80 km hour winds and the top only popped down the the real big gusts.:)

Rumtan
12-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Speaking of being staked down.....who sells just the ice-scews that ive seen some tents use?

Geezle
12-31-2011, 01:49 PM
if your in a properly staked down ice cube you have nothing to fear, had mine in 80 km hour winds and the top only popped down the the real big gusts.:)

True enough...I've done 90km/h winds in this thing, but when the tent is creaking and changing shapes it still feels like it's gonna fly away or implode or something!

Speaking of being staked down.....who sells just the ice-scews that ive seen some tents use?

TFH, WSS, CT, probably Cabelas as well.

calgarygringo
12-31-2011, 01:50 PM
For us southerners that is just another day on the ice. Stake it down good and just let it blow.

TROLLER
12-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Googel up the ice angel then go to Princess auto pick up what you need for like 10 bucks each, make a few and you are tied down like you won't believe and the easiest to remove. No screws just need an auger.

Scott N
12-31-2011, 02:14 PM

I saw some yesterday at Canadian Tire.

Rumtan
12-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I googled ice angel pegs and saw the ones you reccomend but they seem rather more elaborate than the ones that just screw in the ice. I went on cabelas web site and couldnt find them. Either im calling them a wrong name or they are under some other section of the stores?

Willowtrail
12-31-2011, 02:45 PM
I googled ice angel pegs and saw the ones you reccomend but they seem rather more elaborate than the ones that just screw in the ice. I went on cabelas web site and couldnt find them. Either im calling them a wrong name or they are under some other section of the stores?

I got a bunch of angels I ordered last year, they work like a damn and I live just up the road from you if your interested. I'm right by the Kinsman

Rumtan
12-31-2011, 03:32 PM
How much are they in relation to just the Canadian Tire screws?

TROLLER
12-31-2011, 04:01 PM
First off take a good look at them then go buy what you need at Pricess auto and make your own.

You don't need to carry a cordless drill, you already have the auger so you just drill a hole about 1 ft. drop the saw blade down hook up to your tent and done. To remove simnply just take the tension off and out she comes.

SNAPFisher
12-31-2011, 04:03 PM
For us southerners that is just another day on the ice. Stake it down good and just let it blow.

LOL! This be true. Still, it is creepy in the tent.

zepf
12-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I made some extra anchors from some spare lag bolts .Iwelded a bolt across the top so they look like a T.To make a pilot hole I use the tip of a chainsaw bar cut into the ice.To secure the tent I use ATV tie downs....gale force winds west of stony plain today.I had to put rocks in my pockets to get around...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
12-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks for taking our wind geezle, I was on 2 lakes today and could have gotten away with no anchors at all, kind of crazy for a change after the last winds we've had.

degasvegas
12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
I bought and used my Eskimo Quickfish 3 a couple times this year. But on boxing day at Pigeon lake I found the gusting winds to be almost impossible to put the tent up.

Any pointers to putting up pop up tents solo in winds exceeding 30k/hr? I'm afraid to go out on windy days anymore lest my tent be used as a very expensive kite.

~Dan

Smasher
12-31-2011, 07:08 PM
The big question Geezle is: Did you catch any fish to make the experience worthwhile?

mayuan
12-31-2011, 07:54 PM
I bought and used my Eskimo Quickfish 3 a couple times this year. But on boxing day at Pigeon lake I found the gusting winds to be almost impossible to put the tent up.

Any pointers to putting up pop up tents solo in winds exceeding 30k/hr? I'm afraid to go out on windy days anymore lest my tent be used as a very expensive kite.

~Dan

I open the tent and lay it flat with me on top. Anchor the tent on all four corners then pop it up. Anchor the walls facing the wind first. Watch for the roof poping down..... I was smacked in the head last week and it hurst like h3ll.

WayneChristie
12-31-2011, 07:54 PM

~Dan

I put one peg in and then attach one of my outside straps to it so it doesnt blow away while I set it up and put the rest in. same for taking it down, always leave one in until its down. getting lots of wind practice this winter for sure!

Oh, and one tip, even if its dead calm, always put one peg in, almost lost my tent last winter when a gust came out of nowhere, good thing my lady was in the tent and managed to hold it down. windy days I use all 8 anchors.

calgarygringo
12-31-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't know officially what it was yesterday but myself, Wayne and Jack&7 were out and i am guessing it must have been pretty calm only the 50-60 range and we are all pegged in and doesn't look too bad as far as blowing. We were also out on Wednesday in about the same and had no issues. Good pegging is the key and if too much don't risk your tent just pack it up and leave. We were in a sheltered spot on Wednesday and still probably were in the 50km range but just down the bay we probably would have blown to Calgary. Just use good anchors and judgement and you will be fine.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/Fishing/P1000957.jpg

fish gunner
12-31-2011, 10:45 PM
my first attempt at putting up a pop up on gull blowing 50 +should have made the blooper reel .2 of us took 30 min I now know start at a corner with out the door pin down on the up wind side. leave the zippers open and velcroed (is that a word) now pin the sides across the wind and stand it up ,this is the tricky part then peg ur guy strings . pop up the roof and ur set I try to use the doors on the side that way the wind cant blow the heat out I also pilot my pins with a smaller drill bit makes life a little easter now the big question is a wind blown tent salvage lol

Geezle
01-01-2012, 12:11 AM
The big question Geezle is: Did you catch any fish to make the experience worthwhile?

What are you talking about? The experience is always worthwhile :cool:

That being said, overall it was a pretty quiet day, right until the end, then I started seeing quite a few pike on the cam and managed to bring a couple up.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/ParklandCounty-20111231-00230.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/ParklandCounty-20111231-00233.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/ParklandCounty-20111231-00231.jpg