PDA

View Full Version : Old Hunting Magazines

Springer
12-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Curious how many others have lots of Old Hunting magazines kicking around ??
I have a few stacks and occasionally trade back in forth with my Brothers.
Myself i have reread old stories ,especially if say i am planning to go on a Sheep , Goat or Elk hunt , then i do a little more research and it helps kill the time as i countdown to opening day for the Hunt.
I have the old Alberta Outdoorsmen in the larger non glossy format still that i occasionally read , or use some of the recipes from the last page in A.O.

Bick Buck and Bugle i dont part with..

catnthehat
12-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a a few from the '20's .....
Cat

buckbrushoutdoors
12-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I have a a few from the '20's .....
Cat

Jeeze how old are you? :sHa_shakeshout:

catnthehat
12-31-2011, 04:59 PM

Uh, I didn't buy them at the corner news stand!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

billie
12-31-2011, 05:18 PM
I have a whole box (2'x2'x3') of 90's vintage mags that are destined for the recycle when I clean out a closet (no rush:sHa_sarcasticlol:) but easily accessed. If someone in Calgary wants them, let me know. I'd be happy to pass them on to someone.

Happy New Year everyone, goodnight.

bubba300
12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
I have lots of Outdoor Life mags from 60's and 70's,lots of good old advertisements and interesting reading.

GunnerySgtJackson
12-31-2011, 05:42 PM
I was gifted a subscription to "Fur, Fish and Game" as a kid. I still have old copies in the basement and continue to pick up a copy from the local mag store, then pass them on to my brother in law who also read them as a kid. I still believe those magazines and hunting, fishing and trapping kept me out of trouble that other kids were getting into growing up.

Springer
12-31-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a whole box (2'x2'x3') of 90's vintage mags that are destined for the recycle when I clean out a closet (no rush:sHa_sarcasticlol:) but easily accessed. If someone in Calgary wants them, let me know. I'd be happy to pass them on to someone.

Happy New Year everyone, goodnight.

Thats kind of where i was going with this ...Instead of chucking them. there should be a swap with guys who have these old mags and trade them or give them to others that live close to you..

Bushrat
12-31-2011, 09:21 PM
I have many hundreds of them, maybe into the thousands mostly Outdoor Life, Field&Stream, Sports afield, fur fish&game, Rod&Gun in Canada, Alaska Sportsman and many others from the 1930's up to now. Have a full year bound set of Outdoor Life from 1918 and a full year bound set of Outers Recreation from 1919. They did a lot of stories in series and you would read 6 or 7 pages of fine print of the story one month only to be continued for the next few months. Like reading a book by the time you finished. Really intersting story in 1919 Outers Recreation about sheep hunting the headwaters of the Brazeau on into what is now Jasper park called "And the Ladies went Hunting". Yup they had women hunters back then and they were successful, I think the hunting party took 8 rams.

Springer
12-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Thats pretty cool Bushrat. those old stories rank right along with the old timer stories that have been on here lately. Its amazing all the changes that have happened since the print of those old mags.
Definitely collectors to keep around the Man Cave !!

hornhead
12-31-2011, 10:16 PM

i am not sure the printing press was around when Cat started out.

"THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE !!!" :sHa_shakeshout:

moosefever
01-01-2012, 12:34 AM
I have about 6 to 8 file boxes with Alberta Outdoorsmen, Bigbuck (maybe a few Saskatchewan Bigbuck), Outdoorlife, Field and Streem, Bugle, NorthAmerican Whitetail, Outdoor Edge, Western Sportsman, Outdoor Canada just to name a few. I think most start in the mid 70's.

TheRealMcCoy
01-01-2012, 07:06 AM
To my knowledge I don't think it is sold in Canada. I have written a few true hunting stories for the publisher of this magazine over the years. It is put out four times a year by Buckmasters out of Montgomery, Alabama. It is a real good magazin as it tell stories by ordinary hunters just like me.
I have a few copies of my own kicking around. A guy can order back issues if
wanted. I am starting to write a book on Hunting Bighorn as I have had 40 years of it. The big"WHERE". I am going to devulge the where in detail some honey holes that do produce rams year after year.
How many people would spend $15 bucks on a magazine if they thought they
could find out the `Where factor`
I`ll have fun doing it I am sure. Some events are really funny.

Happy New Year and Good Hunting in 2012

Pioneer2
01-01-2012, 07:20 AM
I have several hundred from the Jurassic period on............Harold

Dacotensis
01-01-2012, 11:13 AM
I have a few of these "game Trails" mags. Look to be Alberta based.
1947-48.
What are they worth?