PDA

View Full Version : A tip for the zippers on your tent

Kokanee9
12-31-2011, 06:51 PM
The zippers on almost anything, always work harder when the weather gets cold. Even though I wouldn't call this a cold winter yet, I would advise anyone with a tent or flipover, to lubricate the zippers on them.

Eskimo recomends a silicone spray or something called zipper brand lubricant, and then to wipe off the excess. Don't bother with either of those.

Instead get a cheap candle from wherever and rub it along both sides of the zipper. The wax will coat the teeth of the zipper when operated a few times and you will notice a difference immediately. I also use this for all my winter and work jackets. 1 small candle will last for several seasons.

Just try it once and if you are the sort of person that takes care of your stuff, you won't even bother trying anything else.

Smasher
12-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Good to know.Thanks for the tip.

npauls
12-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Thats a good tip.

I will have to try it out on the new fatfish.

WayneChristie
12-31-2011, 07:52 PM
thanks for the tip, I knew about this but forgot all about it. will be candling my zipper tomorrow.

bunnyhunter
12-31-2011, 08:15 PM
would wd-40 work??

Rumtan
12-31-2011, 09:09 PM
A bar of soap works as well, makes all the difference when out in the cold.

Daceminnow
12-31-2011, 09:24 PM
make sense. wax. i have a few spare tubes of bow wax laying around i'll give it a try as well. also have a new tackle bag with some heavier zippers that are sticky. that might help. worth a shot. good tip Koke. thanks.

Dace

Kokanee9
12-31-2011, 10:42 PM
thanks for the tip, I knew about this but forgot all about it. will be candling my zipper tomorrow.

I know that your injecting some humour into this, but be careful when you do your zipper, Wayne.

Some people are just more prone to accidents. Could be painful out there on the ice.

Kokanee9
12-31-2011, 10:48 PM
make sense. wax. i have a few spare tubes of bow wax laying around i'll give it a try as well. also have a new tackle bag with some heavier zippers that are sticky. that might help. worth a shot. good tip Koke. thanks.

Dace

No doubt in my mind that those sticky ones will slide a lot easier after the wax. If you can get some between the teeth, it works that much better.

Have used this on metal and plastic zippers and it works just as well on both.

Willowtrail
12-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Great tip kokanee.

One more to add when running heaters I like to close my doors with the zippers at the top of the door. I find the bottom of the tent gets frosty when the temp drops and the zipper has frozen closed on me once with the condensation.

Geezle
01-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Same advice I got for the zippers on my Jeep's soft top...they recommend either paraffin wax or bar soap.

The soap is the most readily available, and I like it because it makes my Jeep smell like Irish Spring :D Never even thought about using it on my tent zipper...good tip :)

Dacotensis
01-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I still have about 50 cans of Pam.
Zippers are one thing I will spray with the stuff.
Often my coveralls are in moist conditions and zippers get a little stubborn.
Out comes Pam to fix the day.

Heavy K
01-01-2012, 12:29 PM
would wd-40 work??

Probably not. Though it would certainly loosen the zipper initially, WD-40 is a solvent. You would eventually end up with degradation to any nylon components, ie the zipper itself that you applied it to and the surrounding tent materials. These boys are talking about lubricating the zippers. I'd stick to the paraffin for the sake of your tent.

hk

Kim473
01-02-2012, 02:58 AM

That just does'nt sound right. LOL

lone wolf
01-02-2012, 08:49 AM
I know that your injecting some humour into this, but be careful when you do your zipper, Wayne.

Some people are just more prone to accidents. Could be painful out there on the ice.

............ and for goodness sake, remember not to use a lit candle this time ......... :scared0018:

lone wolf
01-02-2012, 08:50 AM
A bar of soap works as well, makes all the difference when out in the cold.

Also works really well on the runners on wooden drawers as well.

Jack&7
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
will be candling my zipper tomorrow.

Is this another one of those things you never want to hear while ice fishing?