PDA

View Full Version : Hide Salt...Where to find some?

bigguns
12-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Aside from UFA, where would be the next best place to find Salt for hides. I've been told to get Non-Iodized salt, but most grocery places only have Iodized. Is it crucial to have Non-Iodized salt for salting hides?

Douglas N
12-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Use coarse salt, aka pickling salt. It's available at any grocery store.

Pathfinder76
12-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Pickling salt at the grocery store is non iodized I believe.

Pathfinder76
12-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Ooops, beaten to the draw.

bigguns
01-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Some say not to use coarse salt though...I'm guessing pickling salt will still get the job done though eh? Thanks for the replies.

mightybuck
01-01-2012, 03:47 AM
Wal mart had that salt on sale large bags 1.00 a piece a while ago...good deal

Arn?Narn.
01-01-2012, 06:59 AM
We always used pickling salt, coarse salt, fishermans salt,....however you wish to name it and find it,....does a great job.

209x50
01-01-2012, 07:07 AM
I've always been told fine salt. It is all I've ever used.

Advantage Taxidermy
01-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Fine salt whole sale club on 99th street 7.00 a bag

Springer
01-01-2012, 07:48 AM
The feed mills will have them. I think its about 20 kgs. When i buy a bag i store it in a 5 gallon bucket to keep moisture out ,with a couple gunny sacks to use for storing the rolled up hide in.
Thats the easy part...It's getting something worthy of mounting that i have the problem with....

flyguyd
01-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Fine salt is by far better, but coarse will be better than nothing

alpineguy
01-01-2012, 08:33 AM
The feed mills will have them. I think its about 20 kgs. When i buy a bag i store it in a 5 gallon bucket to keep moisture out ,with a couple gunny sacks to use for storing the rolled up hide in.
Thats the easy part...It's getting something worthy of mounting that i have the problem with....

This is where I get mine. Just ask for plain salt, no iodine or trace minerals.

Springer
01-01-2012, 08:34 AM
This is where I get mine. Just ask for plain salt, no iodine or trace minerals.

Yes and its only like 6 bucks a bag for this fine salt.

wwbirds
01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I have also been told it attacts water vapor so have been using powdered borax for a several years. think a big bag was $40. at Taxidermy supply and hides are then cured not just stored awaiting further treatment. If you are fleshing down to bare skin this is a better method than salting.

sheephunter
01-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I've always been told fine salt. It is all I've ever used.

x2 I find it rubs better into the cracks and crevasess better than the coarse salt and it seems to go a lot further.

chain2
01-01-2012, 11:27 AM
been using fine salt for years, iodized or non. Ufa yesterday 7 bucks 20kg loose fine white salt...The salt sets the hair into the follicle and draws moisture from the hide and prevents Bactria growth. Which stresses the importance of getting all fat and tissues off prior to applying it. Hair will slip if salt is not contacting skin. You didnt comment on what critter your salting and it should be noted that some areas need multiple fresh salting and degreasing too. [White >coleman< gas and a cloth] Get a big salt bag and use a couple 1/2" layers, its cheap. Bears beaver belly fat or even glands around eyes need degrease prior to salt thou. IMO Borax would b more suited to thin hides and bird skins...I hth chain

HunterDave
01-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Halford's Hides used to sell hide salt and it was cheap like borscht. :)

Arn?Narn.
01-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Fine salt is great for getting in the nooks and crannys...
Coarse salt, soon after it starts to draw, will fill the nooks and crannies in short order...

We have never had issue with coarse salt, and we used it because we always had so much of it on had, (at least a tonne)

I did my last bear hide with 2 kg's of coarse salt...
I worked it in and after the first day, worked it again...
Did a great job as usual., though I usually use much more salt
Did a few rabbits with fine salt (as I could get enough out of the salt jar in the kitchen ...lol) and it was equally as good.

If you are packing it, fine salt would be a good option and readily available...

bigguns
01-01-2012, 03:24 PM
been using fine salt for years, iodized or non. Ufa yesterday 7 bucks 20kg loose fine white salt...The salt sets the hair into the follicle and draws moisture from the hide and prevents Bactria growth. Which stresses the importance of getting all fat and tissues off prior to applying it. Hair will slip if salt is not contacting skin. You didnt comment on what critter your salting and it should be noted that some areas need multiple fresh salting and degreasing too. [White >coleman< gas and a cloth] Get a big salt bag and use a couple 1/2" layers, its cheap. Bears beaver belly fat or even glands around eyes need degrease prior to salt thou. IMO Borax would b more suited to thin hides and bird skins...I hth chain

Thanks for the info, really haven't ever salted my own hides, but wouldn't mind giving it a try on what ever critter falls next, most likely coyote or wolf if I'm lucky enough. But for sure next fall for a hike in trip I will want to be packing some salt.

TBark
01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes, fine salt and it's cheap,
And like springer said, the 20 kg bags fit perfectly in 5 gal pails to protect them and keep them dry, within the bags. We keep a few of these at camp, some have been in the pails for 2 - 3 yrs now, still dry & loose.

TBark

packhuntr
01-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I have also always used the fine salt. I have those big bags as well I brought in through Nutters in town. I just store them on a shelf in the shop in original plastic bags they are keeping good. Must have 6 or 7 still. Something to be said for buying lifetime supply of the stuff you use frequently and in large quantity..:scared0015: LOL I was looking smart back when I was baiting bear every spring

walking buffalo
01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Salt used for hides can be re-used.

I put the wet salt in a large wide container, drain off the liquid, then mix it every couple of days as the top layers dry. When it is completely dry, it is good to use again.