PDA

View Full Version : First time Coyote calling.....I'm hooked now!

ceedub
01-01-2012, 05:02 PM
I've been toying with the idea of buying an electronic caller but wasn't sure if calling coyotes was gonna be my thing. Through a couple of pm's some members here suggested just using a mouth call and see what happens. I had a call downstairs in a drawer on my reloading bench that my wife had thrown in my Christmas stocking a few years ago, a Knight & Hale dying Rodent so I took it out of the package, give it a few blows and decided to give it a whirl. After some thought, I elected to give the new Savage Axis in 204 Ruger a try rather than my pet 17 Fireball.

I headed out on foot from the house into my neighbors pasture, sat down on the bank of the creek where I had a good line of site and give a series of the most convincing calls I could (considering I had never done it before). About a minute later I had magpies flying all around me, and before you knew it a coyote appeared like a ghost in the short silverwillows about 125 yards to my right. I could only see a portion of his back so I waited for a better shot but he soon got my wind and took off running hard through the tangled creek bottom.

I moved to a different spot just a 150 yards away where any approaching yote was unlikely to catch my wind, and sat down and gave a series of calls. Magpies again, then some movement in the creek bottom, here comes 2 yotes from the west and I can see a distant third one on the bank about 100 yards behind that pair! I waited until one stopped to check things out, put the crosshairs on him and squeezed. He was about 180 yards out and he did the circle dance before folding up. I could have taken a hail mary at his partner but I elected to pass. All I could think of was, why haven't I tried this before? I was about 1/2 mile from the house so I walked back for the quad.

Here's a couple of pics of my afternoon adventure and my first called in coyote, a good sized male.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/ceedub/Coyote%202012/027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/ceedub/Coyote%202012/030.jpg

wwbirds
01-01-2012, 05:09 PM
before you put them on the rear rack and drive 1/2 mile home invest in some RAID and heavy duty construction grade garbage bags with twist ties.
Fleas can and will jump from the coyote to the rider on the quad.
Not nearly as bad as the guy who shot a fox and threw it in the back of his Suburban to take home.
how do we spell crawling with fleas??
have fun

catnthehat
01-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Congratulations!
Fun, isn't it?!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

catnthehat
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
before you put them on the rear rack and drive 1/2 mile home invest in some RAID and heavy duty construction grade garbage bags with twist ties.
Fleas can and will jump from the coyote to the rider on the quad.
Not nearly as bad as the guy who shot a fox and threw it in the back of his Suburban to take home.
how do we spell crawling with fleas??
have fun

Yup, always have bags and RAID handy, for sure!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Learned that at a VERY early age with squirrels!:thinking-006:
Cat

just_dave
01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Well done. Nice rifle!

Kitscoty Bear Slayer(KBS)
01-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Nice,always enjoy seeing a dead coyote!
Fun calling them in isn't it?
Just wait till you get one right in your lap

gunslinger
01-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Nice,always enjoy seeing a dead coyote!
Fun calling them in isn't it?
Just wait till you get one right in your lap

Or a great big wolf coming loping in,

Kitscoty Bear Slayer(KBS)
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Or a great big wolf coming loping in,

yep x2 or more like a million that is also on my hit list:)

stinkynuts
01-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Good work just leave a few for me Lamont county can challengeing to get them sometimes so iam glad your first time out was good . we wehnt out friday and got busted once just north of town and connected on one at my buddys farm ne of Bruderheim. I find Lamont can be hard to get them cuse they are so smart as all the farmers I know will shoot at them everychane they get .

shad199
01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice looking coyote, tried this morning on some lakes with an e-caller but not luck.

JTRED
01-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I've just started to get interested in predator hunting also. For me it just started as just another excuse to ramble around the bush and check out what the deer, elk, turkeys etc. are up to. I've got a small hand held e-caller and two mouth blown calls. The dying rabbit/rodent was easy to get onto but I can't get any sort of realistic sound out of my howler. I'll keep at it. Hope you get a few more this year.

Jameson340
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Great job man, I cant seem to get enough of coyote hunting either, been pretty lucky the last 2 times iv been out, going out west to try for some wolves tomorrow, i hope i have some good pictures for you tomorrow!!
Myself and crownb stalked this first coyote and i made a 312 yard shot on him, hit him good. The second one i called in this evening, came across a 500 yard feild for a 100 yard shot, it was awesome.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/benjames7/404174_10150543884200540_704865539_11079176_111095 0083_n.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/benjames7/401644_10150550118195540_704865539_11109611_168618 2437_n.jpg

chain2
01-02-2012, 12:09 AM
its very good fun, magpies come in common, and so do members of the weasle clan. But call it a superstition of mine but when any wood pecker comes in and starts tappin around the surrounding trees. a coyote always shows up. Don't understand it...but it happens...anyone else or is it just me?? :thinking-006:chain

Jameson340
01-02-2012, 12:11 AM
its very good fun, magpies come in common, and so do members of the weasle clan. But call it a superstition of mine but when any wood pecker comes in and starts tappin around the surrounding trees. a coyote always shows up. Don't understand it...but it happens...anyone else or is it just me?? :thinking-006:chain

hmm thats weird, i always see woodpeckers while im deer hunting in my tree stands tapping on trees, they have never brought in any coyotes that iv noticed.