PDA

View Full Version : Phyllis Lake

gr8tbigkid
01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we are going there in am what do use for bait??:argue2: or tips? :sign0176:i have never caught anything that big new to the whole ice fishing things dnt want to know yur exact spots just mabye some ideas ?:shark: how to catch one? been to pcr and chain alot of fun been to spray got skunked watched guys tent blow dwn the lake .... :thinking-006:so any info would be awsome thnx jamie :scared0018:

gr8tbigkid
01-01-2012, 08:55 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:And you know if you dnt want to post it on here for all to see you could PM as well lmfao......:argue2::thinking-006:

lovefishin
01-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Pyhllis is great. I have never had a problem with using maggots in the winter here or worms in the summer. I find if you can get a spot right by where the path comes down from the side of the hill you are set. And if you have the tiny perch move in to your hole/area thats it the trout have moved away from you.

GillieSuit
01-02-2012, 08:07 AM
You were asking in another thread where else we put big fish. The answer is Twin Lakes west of Rocky (160 80 in the spring 80 in the fall), Open Creek Reservoir near Rimbey (100 in the spring), Dickson Trout Pond (800-1000 several stockings per year). Shunda or Fish Lake (160, 80 in the spring 80 in the fall). East Pit Lake and West Pit Lake (40 total, 20 in each).

These are retired brood fish from our rainbow trout rearing program. Just so you are aware these rainbows are 4 years old. Meaning they have been in a hatchery for 4 years to get to the size that they are. So they are unique in the fish stocking world. It takes a long time and alot of man hours to raise a fish this big. So enjoy them for what they are. They taste better in the smoker in my opinion because they are a little on the fatty side. Anyway have fun out there and if you are ever coming through caroline on a saturday afternoon between 1:00pm and 4:15pm drop by the Raven Brood Trout Station for a tour. The Station is south of town off of TWP RD 360.

Regards,

Dust1n
01-02-2012, 10:09 AM
give trapshooter a PM he knows how to catch them broods.

duffy4
01-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Speaking of retired brood fish. I think it is odd that often the "Big Rainbow" prize given out each year by Alberta Outdoorsmen goes to a retired brood trout dumped into one of the above lakes.

Seems kind of like a "game farm fish" to me.

It is pretty exciting to hook into one of these big fish and land it. I always just release them. But other than that I don't think Phyllis is a really great fishery.

Perch are too small and other than the brood fish, the trout are all pretty small and skinny.

trapshooter
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
give trapshooter a PM he knows how to catch them broods.

Catching them broods in the winter is tuff but can be done LOL. Fish straight opff from the dock and right as far out as you can (if that made any sense) You will catch fish almost anywhere in that lake. Just use dew worms on jigs.

Don Andersen
01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Speaking of retired brood fish. I think it is odd that often the "Big Rainbow" prize given out each year by Alberta Outdoorsmen goes to a retired brood trout dumped into one of the above lakes.

Seems kind of like a "game farm fish" to me.

It is pretty exciting to hook into one of these big fish and land it. I always just release them. But other than that I don't think Phyllis is a really great fishery.

Perch are too small and other than the brood fish, the trout are all pretty small and skinny.

Robin,

Of the last 6 or so years, only two of them had rainbow trout "lake raised". The rest were dog food raised.
Disgusting situation.

Don

gr8tbigkid
01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
thnx for info was awsome day and would be grt place to take kids be great day there there were loads kids there skinny little trout and tiny little perch thnx for info.....:sHa_shakeshout: