PDA

View Full Version : A question about hunting on trap line

Hun-Ter
01-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Today I was out to hunt yotes on crown land. This was my first time in that area. When I was walking out to my truck in a different route than I entered, I noticed an old "Trapline" sign nailed to a tree.
I know that someone can hunt for big game on a trap line, but is it true on fur bearing animals also? Today I was hunting there without knowing that it was a trap line.
I don't want to interfere with anyone livelihood, I just want to hunt. Since I don't have access to private land I stuck on CL.

Ryry4
01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
If you have permission from the trapper and have a note you are good to go from what I've been told.

fatboyz
01-01-2012, 09:25 PM
You don't need his permission to legally hunt coyotes. His licence is to trap fur, it doesn't give him any additional rights regarding animals that others are legally allowed to harvest. This goes for wolves too.

Hun-Ter
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Thank you for your response.
That's what I wanted to know.

jim summit
01-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Not sure but I believe I read something in the regs about hunting coyotes on crown land. It's allowed in the green zone only, check with your F&W to be sure.

antlercarver
01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Almost all crown land is someones trapline.

fatboyz
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Jim, Green Zone and white zone are still crown land, and are subject to the rules in the hunting regs. The only exception with crown land are grazing leases,you just need to get permission from the lease holder, and then the regs still apply.

pickrel pat
01-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Almost all crown land is someones trapline.

not up north.

catnthehat
01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
not up north.

In my neck of the woods ALL the Crown land that is allocated as registered trapline lease except for where the oil sands leases have their plants!
Cat

leo
01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I assumed wrongly about this topic last year. I was corrected by Cat and a few others who pointed out that anyone with a valid hunting license was able to hunt coyote or wolf on any crown land in Alberta, traplines do not matter in this instance.

KegRiver
01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
It's a bit confusing. To put it in layman's terms,

You can hunt but not trap Coyote on any land to which you have right of access, in the southern half of the Province, year round.

In the northern half of the province, ( The Green Zone ) you may only hunt Coyote on crown land from October 1 to February 29. And on private land to which you have right of access, your round.

At least that's the way I read it. Here it is.

Coyote – A Resident may, without a licence and on land to which he or she
has the right of access, hunt (but not trap) coyote at all times of the year
throughout the province, except as follows:
1) on public lands in the Green Area, only from October 1, 2011 to
February 29, 2012

The green area is defined as,

– forest lands not available for
agricultural development other than grazing.
In general, the Green Area is public land
outside the parkland and prairie regions or
roughly in the northern half of the province
and within a strip running along the Rocky
Mountains and foothills.

Turney
01-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Keg
You have the right Quote on the regulations but it says you have the right to hunt except on on public lands in the green area.
So that means you can not hunt on green area public lands unless you are a grazing lease holder or trapper.
I've checked with our local F&W officer and it is confussing.

sheephunter
01-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Keg
You have the right Quote on the regulations but it says you have the right to hunt except on on public lands in the green area.
So that means you can not hunt on green area public lands unless you are a grazing lease holder or trapper.
I've checked with our local F&W officer and it is confussing.

Actually keg has it right. You can hunt coyotes in the green zone but unlike private land, there is a season (October 1, 2011 to February 29, 2012). The except applies to "all times of the year" not hunting.

It is worded poorly.