PDA

View Full Version : Perch

fishdude17
01-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Anyone heard of perch spawning in December/January? I thought they spawned in the spring, April/May? :confused:

Caught some yesterday, all the ones I kept had eggs in them.

fish farmer
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
the females will have eggs in them from now until they spawn in the spring. All of our big jumbo females we have caught this winter have eggs in them.

chriscosta
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
yeah I like to put the females back if I can help it cause the perch and the pike are full of eggs by now

fish gunner
01-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I believe perch spawn in abt 40 -45o f. water the eggs u see will ripen till then. what is actual happening as with all perch lakes we catch all the prime size fish(almost all females) .so in a short period of time the good spawners r taken and the dna pool is now missing the large fish. sum lakes r large enough to withstand this pressure most in AB do not also if u find these large fish u r on a good winter feeding station and all the localized big spawners will use this to gain spawning weight and so easy to fish out the good dna this is y perch get raped in most of our An lakes oh and they r very yummy

Dust1n
01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
How long does it take for a perch to reach over 12inchs givin the right conditions

fish gunner
01-02-2012, 12:15 PM
How long does it take for a perch to reach over 12inchs givin the right conditions

from what I've read 5yrs+ and that is on the great lakes out here maybe 7 + they do live sumthing like 10 yrs I think they need a high value food source yr round that they dont get in our AB lakes? ? no crayfish ,sunfish and the like im no sceince guy so this is not gospel but I think im close

Kevin_Thunder
01-02-2012, 12:33 PM
I believe perch spawn in abt 40 -45o f. water the eggs u see will ripen till then. what is actual happening as with all perch lakes we catch all the prime size fish(almost all females) .so in a short period of time the good spawners r taken and the dna pool is now missing the large fish. sum lakes r large enough to withstand this pressure most in AB do not also if u find these large fish u r on a good winter feeding station and all the localized big spawners will use this to gain spawning weight and so easy to fish out the good dna this is y perch get raped in most of our An lakes oh and they r very yummy

from what I've read 5yrs+ and that is on the great lakes out here maybe 7 + they do live sumthing like 10 yrs I think they need a high value food source yr round that they dont get in our AB lakes? ? no crayfish ,sunfish and the like im no sceince guy so this is not gospel but I think im close

Thanks for the information, but my eyes almost started to bleed when I read one of your posts. This isn't Twitter, you have more than 140 characters to work with. Could you please use proper punctuation and cut back on the short hand? Thanks! :happy0034:

Last year I read an article that claims that it takes several years for perch to grow to "jumbo" size, so your speculation may be true. I caught a healthy sized perch while fishing for walleye this summer and it was full of eggs as well. So maybe females carry eggs on them year round? I'm not sure to be honest.

fish gunner
01-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the information, but my eyes almost started to bleed when I read one of your posts. This isn't Twitter, you have more than 140 characters to work with. Could you please use proper punctuation and cut back on the short hand? Thanks! :happy0034:

Last year I read an article that claims that it takes several years for perch to grow to "jumbo" size, so your speculation may be true. I caught a healthy sized perch while fishing for walleye this summer and it was full of eggs as well. So maybe females carry eggs on them year round? I'm not sure to be honest.

sorry my comp down useing my phone it corrects nearly every thing I type and the keyboard is made to be used by a child. where abought u fishing out of trying to get a trip togther to find possible canadian record perch I know of a place no one fishes 4 perch but the three I landed were in the 2-3lbs range and broke off one way larger this may seem like b/s but it is a unique water shed out here in the west 6 odd hrs from calgery

fishdude17
01-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I have read that yellow perch take approx 3 years to grow to 6" in size.

whitetail Junkie
01-02-2012, 04:13 PM

Ive just been slamming the perch this winter(Keeping My limit) and ALL of them have been Females! there was eggs in everyone.I feel alittle guilty now after reading your perch posts.Next time i'm out i'll have to Keep a nice big pike to eat instead,plus them SOB's are eating my perch!lol

fish farmer
01-02-2012, 04:33 PM
No matter how fast perch grow, it takes good genetics to grow big perch. Same as any other fish and animal, not every perch is going to become a jumbo.

Paul C
01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
One way of measuring the growth rate of a perch is to remove the cheek and dry it out for a few days. Then hold the piece in front of a bright light and count the lines. Lines that are close together means slow growth and lines that are far apart are faster growth. The total amount of lines is the age of that perch. When cleaning your catch check out growth rate it of those larger perch.
Every lake grows perch at different rates and is a good indication of the health of that body of water.
Happy Perch Fishin :)