PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer VS Coyote

sunsetrider2011
01-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Every morning I do my rounds to the water holes to open ice for the cattle and i have this one spot that is fairly populated with Coyotes and have taken quite a few in said area ,,usually at a dead run already. anyways this morning was no different in my routine, just as i was rounding the bush i see this coyote at a dead run for the bush on the next quarter, just as i slow up and get ready to bail out of the truck,, i catch sight of this herd of mule deer come flying out of the bush and and put the run on this coyote there were 5 deer and 1 coyote and one point they had the coyote in the center and were going to town with hooves and hair flying then this coyote gets out from between them and he books it with his tail tucked between his legs running full out and these deer hot on his tail striking every chance they get,. I watched this go on for over a half mile. I pretty nere ****e my drawers when i saw this all going on, and nere laughed my fool head off.
So maybe the deer are fighting back. Deer 1 coyote 0. Anyone else have this experience?

IR_mike
01-02-2012, 01:17 PM
I seen a wt doe ears back with a look of determination chase a coyote across a 30 meter pipeline ROW a few falls ago while hunting.

I did not get to see the outcome.

petew
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I watched a cow elk chase a coyote fron bush burn pile to pile for 20 minutes . The coyote finaly escaped. She would circle 1 way then the other after him as he tried to get away. It was a great sight to see.
Pete

Redfrog
01-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Many times when I use a fawn distress to call coyotes, I'll get coyotes and deer responding. The deer sure do put the run to the coyotes.:)

sunsetrider2011
01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Many times when I use a fawn distress to call coyotes, I'll get coyotes and deer responding. The deer sure do put the run to the coyotes.:)

Ive had that happen as well when calling , but just found it odd that out of the blue it would happen at random. but maybe the protection insticts still carry through the year even with out the fawns at side or nursing

greylynx
01-02-2012, 04:16 PM
[ So maybe the deer are fighting back. Deer 1 coyote 0. Anyone else have this experience?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this.

I think a lot of us have seen those "doe parties" of mulies set out against some mangy coyote.

I usually have a bunch of Mulie girls laying low behind the house all winter.

I shoot clay birds out the back door all winter and the girls don't seem to mind it.

Barbwire
01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Its funny cause I have pictures of a whitetail chasing a coyote on a trail cam from a couple years ago:)

Before
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/mcrae_1234/trip069.jpg

After
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/mcrae_1234/trip070-1.jpg

Barbwire

sunsetrider2011
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Thats a very kewl pic of the buck chasing the coyote. funny how nature picks its battles

Lefty-Canuck
01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
A buddy of mine told me a funny story..... while out coyote hunting he shot this coyote at about 80 yards, he stands up to go collect it and this mule doe runs out from no where and starts stomping the he...double hockey sticks out of this already dead coyote....he said it was like an exclaimation point the doe was delivering!

LC

sunsetrider2011
01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
A buddy of mine told me a funny story..... while out coyote hunting he shot this coyote at about 80 yards, he stands up to go collect it and this mule doe runs out from no where and starts stomping the he...double hockey sticks out of this already dead coyote....he said it was like an exclaimation point the doe was delivering!

LC

Now that, i wouldnt be able to contain my self, that would be funny to see and would be very hard not to laugh out loud