PDA

View Full Version : Hiking poles for sheep hunting?

Predator
01-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Any comments on using hiking poles while in the mountains? Quite a few guys have commented they wouldnt be without them, but I never asked what the real benefit was. Just seemed like one more thing to carry.
For the guys that like the poles, any recommendation as to brand and model? Do you use just one or a set?

Skinnydipper
01-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Definitely would not mountain hunt without them. They increase my safety in remote technical areas probably 10 fold. Heavy packs and uneven or slippery terrain are a recipe for injury.
I use a pair of "twist to lock" Leki's but if given a chance to buy new would probably buy a "cam over lock" style instead. The twist ones have never slipped but will sometimes be difficult to adjust when the temperature is cold.

Ryry4
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I've never used them, but have been is some spots where I would have liked to have them. One word of advice is get some that are not reflective. When I was sheep hunting this fall I could see two guys up on the mountain 3 miles away because the sun was reflecting off his poles.

sheephunter
01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I rarely use then going uphill but always going downhill, especially with a big load. I prefer the carbon, cam lock poles. They seem quieter than aluminum poles. I use Black Diamonds. I typically only carry one.

SouthABFlyFisher
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I always use them, especially coming down. It really helps with my bad knees. i have a carbon/titanium twist style pair and always carry both.

Grizzly Adams
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't go to the mountains without one any more. Replaced my hiking staff. :lol: I just use an old ski pole I have. No Brand Name placement here. :lol: Using just one still leaves you a hand free, easier to deal with other things that may come up . As pointed out, going downhill is much easier as well as uneven ground. Things get serious, stash it in the bush.

Grizz

ruger300
01-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I crashed carrying down a backpack of meat when some shale slipped out from under me. Banged my right knee pretty bad, thank god I had a hiking pole to lean on and take some of the weight off that knee. Would definately recommend one.

ruger300

huntin
01-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I Never have used them but when i was guiding I had a hatachet the fit right in my palm with about a 30" handle carried it every where. it was great as a walking stick on uneven ground and great when cutting the ribs off the ram/moose and for cleaning the skull. I left it at sheep camp 2 years ago. Boy i miss the axe.

Springer
01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Definitely would not mountain hunt without them. They increase my safety in remote technical areas probably 10 fold. Heavy packs and uneven or slippery terrain are a recipe for injury.
I use a pair of "twist to lock" Leki's but if given a chance to buy new would probably buy a "cam over lock" style instead. The twist ones have never slipped but will sometimes be difficult to adjust when the temperature is cold.

Ya what Skinnydipper said. I also have the lekis and they have been good to me but my next will be cam locks. I used to think sissies were the ones who used them, not anymore . They are amazing for going across rock slides, crossing streams etc, and going uphill its like grabbing a branch when you have to pull yourself forward.
2 Years ago on a Goat Hunt my hiking pole in my left hand saved my ass when i slid off a rock face and almost went over the edge!! I dug that sucker in just in time and my boot came to stop beside it !!
Ya their worth it and can collapse and be put away on the easy stuff.

Marko
01-02-2012, 05:06 PM
I just picked up 2 Trekkers at cabelas on sat morning. Wouldn't be without them, IMO. Big help crossing streams, slides,etc. twist locks with anti-shock springs built in the handles. $30 a piece. Good call on the reflection! Never even crossed my mind when I bought them. But will be doing something to fix that issue!

BeardedHunter
01-02-2012, 06:18 PM
I borrowed a pair of the cam lock style poles at the end of August early September as I had lent mine to a friend, I found that the camlocks would catch on any long weeds,grass or willows. My twist lock style don't get caught up ever and as for the locking issues, once I get them set I never undo them! As for the spring loaded style as I have both I find them noisy and the non spring loaded poles are quiet and sturdy. Hope this helps-I won't hike without poles!

blackmamba
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I dont leave home with out my poles.. They have saved my arse more than once in the last few years !! Especially on scree slopes just after a rain or light snow .... I also have leiki s twist style ..

mamba

MW1266
01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Used poles for the past 10 years for both hunting and adventure racing. You will find yourself to be a lot more stable and with a heavy pack you will take the load on your arms as well as your legs. I have only twist type poles that adjust, you can then set them longer or shorter depending if you are climbing or going down hill. I find the poles that have a built in shock absorber the best as the absorb the pounding your arms take. I would not recommend. Spending a lot of money on them. The best ones to date for me were bought at cosco for $20 dollars and the have been on several sheep trips for up to 10 days. Train with them befor taking them on a trip.

Rocks
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Won't go up the mountain without them after the first time I used them. I'm currently using the Black Diamond cam locks. Like them better than the old pair of twist lock ones I had.

coldredneck
01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
On my first mountain hunt I didnt think about bringing anything. After two days my knees where shot.
The next year I had a pair along and was amazed at the difference. They really help take some of the stress off your legs and help your balance.
Wouldn't be with out them ever again.

CNR
01-03-2012, 07:42 AM
I have always used hiking poles and love my them(carbon fiber- Goat poles). My brother finally bought a cheap set this year and wasn't happy with them. But did figure they're a good investment compared to nothing.

6tmile
01-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I find that a good dry spruce or pine pole works good, custom fitted to my needs with an axe, they are free and if you break them you can always readily pick up another at the next bush. In an emergency you can use it as fire starter.

depopulator
01-03-2012, 08:41 AM
I would not head into the mountains without a pair. Been using them since 2005. I have used one piece ski poles for years (nice and light), but used a pair of Black diamond Trail trekking poles (non shock) with flick locks this year on a solo sheep hunt. They were amazing, lightweight and worked flawlessly over 8 days, including packing out a 120 lb+ pack for three of those days.

Okotokian
01-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Agree. I also find them invaluable for river crossings as well.

I originally got some Leki twist-locks as well, but found that they slipped a bit, so took them back and got a pair of Black Diamond poles with the snap over locks. They are light and bomb-proof. I opted for the simpler non-shocked version. Just one less thing to go wrong and I don't miss it. Also slightly lighter.

As for carrying them, all my packs are from Osprey and have a nifty little pole holding feature that positions them out of the way under your arm yet with easy access.

Final suggestion: get ones with the angled handles. They are more comfortable on your wrists for heavy use. You will notice that some types also have foam that goes a little further down the shaft. While not vital it's a nice feature for gripping lower when you are going up steep hills and the handle is over your head.

sheephunter
01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
You will notice that some types also have foam that goes a little further down the shaft. While not vital it's a nice feature for gripping lower when you are going up steep hills and the handle is over your head.

x2

whitetailsheds
01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
I rarely use then going uphill but always going downhill, especially with a big load. I typically only carry one.

Ditto.......incredible for taking away some of the impact on the knees, hips, back. Great for bracing/ balancing for an awkward step down....

pottymouth
01-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Ditto.......incredible for taking away some of the impact on the knees, hips, back. Great for bracing/ balancing for an awkward step down....

X2

Just how much they save my knees on a decent, they are worth every penny to me. There also great for balance in those awkward places. Plus they double for poles on my silt tarp.

Frans
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Wouldn't go to the mountains without one any more. Replaced my hiking staff. :lol: I just use an old ski pole I have.
Grizz

Can't believe you ditched the Moses staff! :) I just put some final sanding on my replacement pole, after I broke the tip off my old one.

But yeah, I never leave home without it, if I expect to do any type of steep and/or off-trail travel.

Headdamage
01-03-2012, 12:22 PM
To some extent you can think of it as going from 2x4 to 4x4, I find it makes a big difference on difficult ground and really helps when hauling a load.

moosefever
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Never had a use for them before, then went first time sheep hunting 1 year ago and cheaped out and bought only one. For lack of better word, I would have been screwed without one. I went with Decker who had 2 and now I absolutely know why the need for 2. Uphill, down hill, accross steep shale slopes and just something in general to lean on. I can't even imagine doing a hunt with out them. I had $30 twistlock and shock absorber ones from Canadian Tire. I'm not very experienced in what to but, just NEED them. You will be extremely glad you did.

Kootenai Killer
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
The last three sheep seasons I cheaped out and bought the cheapest hiking poles I could find....... Man was that a mistake,! Each time I came back with broken poles patched together with subalpine fir and duct tape... Got new leiki's for Xmas! They have lifetime warranty, hunting partners have been using those the last three years and they still look new compared to the cheaper one I have used. That's my 2 cents

Stinky Coyote
01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
they turn you from a biped to a quadraped ;)

very handy a lot of the time in the hills, the rest of the critters are on all fours for a reason lol, i don't use em much until the load increases beyond day pack or coming down a long steep one, they totally save the knees, the extra wear and tear goes into your arms instead and thats the point, i don't know what the ratio is but i bet it runs around 40% less beating on the knees when using the poles, maybe higher...just guessing outloud but you get the point

have leki's that served me well, bent one a bit packing out a ewe in one go and stumbled but caught myself resulting in bent pole, and now have been using as my loaners to buddies who haven't gotten any yet, i have the black diamond carbons with the flip locks and love them

i won't go up the hill without them either

alder
01-04-2012, 01:48 PM
does anyone know of a good brand like leki's that have a "v" at the top to use as a shooting stick. I was disappointed in the Primos one I tried.

Stinky Coyote
01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
never seen a quality lightweight hiker with that, most just use their pack to lay over, wouldn't want that on one of mine...minimal is best