PDA

View Full Version : Burntstick Lake Wednesday

icefever
01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I am heading up to Burntstick lake on Wednesday and would like to get a few perch. It has been a few years since I fished for them. If I go to the boat lauch at the cabins which direction should I head in to see if I can find them. I use to fish in 5-8' of water does that still work. Any help woudl be appreciated. I have room if anyone would like to go with me. I live in Cochrane. We would have to walk on as I am not keen on driving on this year due to the warm weather. Thanks

harrydude
01-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Good idea in not driving as I heard a truck went through the ice there recently

nicemustang
01-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Our best luck in recent years has been on the west side. So drive around all the way over to the west side launch. Park and walking on will be good from this spot. There is a flat that drops off pretty good to 30' all along that side. You should be in 18-25 FOW. You'll have to drill holes and use a flasher to find fish. then you'll have to see if they are biting...if they aren't keep moving NORTH along that drop until you find a group that bite. Use small spoons or small jigs tipped with maggots or meal worms.

fish gunner
01-02-2012, 08:58 PM
turn right off ramp go half a k work ur way from deep say u should find abt 30'fow move shallow depending on light I find them between 25-20 fow they move slowly shallower as the sun drops roughly toping out at 15' and they stop biting at dark

Daceminnow
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
some pretty recent info in this thread Ice.

Dace

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=116028

icefever
01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys, if there is anyone interested in joining me I've got the auger and sonar just need to do a little lake testing to see if I can find them. The last time I was up there all I caught where pike

nicemustang
01-02-2012, 09:17 PM
If you only caught pike, you weren't deep up and on the drop, you were on the flat.

And I'd love to go, one of my favorite AB places...but just a bit far away now.

portwein
01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Was out there on Saturday 31 right in the front of "Burntstick Lake Resort" boat launch. Found the perch on 7 - 8 meters of water. Had a blast. Stopped to count them on 40.
Have fun!

icefever
01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks that is good to know, I didn't realize that lake was as deep as it is. When I went out off of the boat launch a ways I found 50 ' of water. The pike we where catching where in 20-25'. I went Left of the boat launch, guess I will go right next time and see what I can find

fishdude17
01-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I was there yesterday, couple hundred feet north of the cabin boat launch. Had great day, pulled around 40 out of one hole, the only hole I drilled. Was catching them in 25-30 FOW. Bite totally died off around 1pm or so, they were still down there but not feeding. I already had my limit by then so I called it quits. Ice is only about 8-9" thick, so I definately wouldn't drive on there. Happy fishing!