PDA

View Full Version : Braver than me

icefever
01-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Seen the picture of the car on the ghost lake that busted throught the pressure ridge on the corner. Almost every year the ridge builds up there some year worst than others. I went fishing at Kananaskis today and on my way back I drove past the Ghost Lake, here was someone out there in a bobcat flattening down part of the pressure ridge so people could drive over it. All I can say is who ever was driving it was braver than me I can't believe the ice was thick enough to hold it. I won't suprise me if we hear about a few drownings this year as people won't stay off the ice with their vechiles

338Bluff
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
It has nothing to do with how thick the ice is (well to a point it does). The car tried to drive over a pressure ridge and from the look of the ice around it a fresh one.

People need to learn to slow down when crossing ice no matter how thick or thin it is. Don't cross pressure ridges if you can avoid it, or at least look for a common crossing where the snow has been packed flat by several vehicles.

Once lake freezes over it actually seems to hold a temperature and continue to freeze so even though it has been mild we continue to build ice. The fact we have no snow has helped. Most lakes now have well over 12" of ice now.

Never assume either that once we have 2 feet of ice that you are good to go everywhere. Ice can actually wear from the bottom where there is current, gas or springs. Seems to be worse when there is lots of snow cover.

Just use your noggin when driving.

Speed is the worst think when driving on ice. I can't believe the morons out there that think they should drive 60 because the ice is thinner??

I saw a guy in a big HD Ford go flying across Little Bear doing mach 10. When they got out to a point where another truck was parked; either they found out that there was only 12" of ice (which is enough) or caught heck for driving like a maniac. They then did a donut and came flying back almost as fast, but hugged the North shore (where the springs reportedly are). Then they parked on shore and walked all the way back across the lake to the point (where the other truck had now departed - likely didn't want the company of said crazies).:sign0161:

If someone reads this and is offended because I'm referring to you. Slow down before you drown yourself or someone else.

pikehunter1989
01-02-2012, 10:38 PM
It has nothing to do with how thick the ice is (well to a point it does). The car tried to drive over a pressure ridge and from the look of the ice around it a fresh one.

People need to learn to slow down when crossing ice no matter how thick or thin it is. Don't cross pressure ridges if you can avoid it, or at least look for a common crossing where the snow has been packed flat by several vehicles.

Once lake freezes over it actually seems to hold a temperature and continue to freeze so even though it has been mild we continue to build ice. The fact we have no snow has helped. Most lakes now have well over 12" of ice now.

Never assume either that once we have 2 feet of ice that you are good to go everywhere. Ice can actually wear from the bottom where there is current, gas or springs. Seems to be worse when there is lots of snow cover.

Just use your noggin when driving.

Speed is the worst think when driving on ice. I can't believe the morons out there that think they should drive 60 because the ice is thinner??

I saw a guy in a big HD Ford go flying across Little Bear doing mach 10. When they got out to a point where another truck was parked; either they found out that there was only 12" of ice (which is enough) or caught heck for driving like a maniac. They then did a donut and came flying back almost as fast, but hugged the North shore (where the springs reportedly are). Then they parked on shore and walked all the way back across the lake to the point (where the other truck had now departed - likely didn't want the company of said crazies).:sign0161:

If someone reads this and is offended because I'm referring to you. Slow down before you drown yourself or someone else.

Last week a guy was on Wabamun and decided drifting and doing donuts on the ice and than flying off the lake doing atleast 50-60 km/hr was a good idea. Those are the kind of idiots that if they go through... I will continue fishing. Oh and the ice was about 13 inches...

slough shark
01-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Me and a buddy were out at sylvan today and there was perhaps a foot of ice, that is generally the point where I start to think about driving on, I usually like a bit more but driving starts to be a little more tempting. I walked out today as I am a little leery about that thickness of ice and at sylvan you often get to deal with people being a bit silly (ripping around creating "wave effect") or parking next to your truck, I normally don't mind the parking beside me thing but on a foot of ice I am a little uncomfortable with it.

Geezle
01-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Last week a guy was on Wabamun and decided drifting and doing donuts on the ice and than flying off the lake doing atleast 50-60 km/hr was a good idea. Those are the kind of idiots that if they go through... I will continue fishing. Oh and the ice was about 13 inches...

I wouldn't continue fishing...I'd go over, make sure everybody is okay, tell them how stupid they are, and then take a couple pics for posterity...then I'd go back to fishing :D

kidd
01-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that someone went through on an "off road vehicle" on Sylvan this past weekend. Treated for hypothermia but didnt die.
kidd

kevinhits
01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
two quads went through parked together on the ice...

338Bluff
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't continue fishing...I'd go over, make sure everybody is okay, tell them how stupid they are, and then take a couple pics for posterity...then I'd go back to fishing :D

Don't forget to.......:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Seriously, I don't know what it is about people the last couple of years. From other posts it looks like everyone has seen every thing from speed demons, skidoos using ice shacks as a slalom course (they did it to me at Coal-If I had opened the door at that moment......POW! Right in the kisser), and wake boats trying to swamp car toppers in the summer.

I think everyone has just lost track of their rural roots and respect for the world in general.

Either I'm just an old fuddy duddy or the world has filled with dorks!

wbaj
01-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Don't forget to.......:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Either I'm just an old fuddy duddy or the world has filled with dorks!

Nope the dork population is way up!

slivers86
01-03-2012, 09:51 PM

If somebody was offended by that, I'd stand right by ya and tell them they are idiots and to scoop out the goldfish brain and insert a new one :)