PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the perch?

flumpkin
01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Hello all, happy new year!!!!! i am just wondering if any of you would tell me where are all the perch are... never caught any perch in alberta...there some tasty fish i hear ... so where are they? and what do you catch them on???

fishdude17
01-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Usually find them in the water, and hooks seem to work very well :sHa_sarcasticlol:

338Bluff
01-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Go to a sporting goods store and buy Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide. Read. Buy Gas. Go Fishing.:)

When you find the perch please post so the rest of us can save the gas money.:scared0018:

Please include gps coordinates to your spot, exact time of bite, color of hook, and bait.:fighting0030:

Sorry for being sarcastic. In the event you were serious I will throw you a bone. Go to Gull, Pine, or Burntstick Lake. Cut hole in 6 to 20 feet of water. Put a maggot on a small yellow hook and catch a perch. Sorry I got nothing closer to Calgary to share. Maybe someone else can help you on the local part.

Trolls just seem so proper on a fishing forum.....

BeeGuy
01-02-2012, 11:33 PM
perch! Link (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/search.php)

Willowtrail
01-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Wow, nice posts guys.

If you were up north I could help you out with about half a dozen good lakes but around Calgary I can't help.

Weed through the stupid posts, someone will give you good advice on a lake.

If you head up this way drop me a pm and I can hook you up.

338Bluff
01-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Wow, nice posts guys.

If you were up north I could help you out with about half a dozen good lakes but around Calgary I can't help.

Weed through the stupid posts, someone will give you good advice on a lake.

If you head up this way drop me a pm and I can hook you up.

Read the second half of my post and you would see I did. Grow a sense of humor.

If the OP want's a serious answer he should try to be a little less flippant with the original request, but maybe that is his 'style'.

Seriously, if you want to catch perch start with the fishing guide and ask around at the tackle shops. Someone will likely steer you to a lake where you will catch some perch. Asking complete strangers on the internet is not a productive way to get the inside track on a real good lake. If you can't trust a fisherman who can you trust?:)

Strike up conversation with other guys on the ice. Ask if they are catching. Some are close mouthed but I have yet to meet a group of fisherman that couldn't resist bragging just a little. Often you will find out about other lakes nearby that will also produce.

As to what catches...

Maggots are usually the best bait, but most perch fisherman will take along some small minnows, mealworms or leeches. Sometimes perch eyes saved and salted from last weeks catch will also work.

Green, white, yellow, and chartreuse are usually the best colors to start with. Stock up on spoons, jigs, and other lures up to and inch long. Have some minuscule stuff as well just in case the fish are stubborn.

The most important tip is have at least one rod set up with 2 lb test line and a spring bobber. Ice fishing with slip bobbers or the old red bubbles just won't cut it if you are serious.

Where to fish.....

Look for conglomerations of holes on a new lake. Serious perch fisherman literally turn the lake surface to swiss cheese (structure is everything). Look for holes that seem to have more foot traffic around them than the other 20 and concentrate on the those. Drill at least 6 holes and move from one to the other until you find fish. I like to start right on the bottom and move up to 4-6 inches off. If this doesn't work start increasing the height your fishing at by a foot at a time. No bites. Change holes.

If there are no other holes look at the hydrographic maps and try flats adjacent to drop offs, weed lines, shallow bays, etc. Don't be afraid to try extremes. I have caught perch in 1 FOW.

You will find perch at all depths. My favorite right now is about 8-12 feet for the better fish. Not all lakes are the same though. Sometimes they will be in over 25 feet of water.

That better?????:fighting0030:

Shmag
01-03-2012, 02:29 AM
I heard they are pounding the jumbo's at Lake X...:thinking-017:...just saying

Hunter Trav
01-03-2012, 09:16 AM
I heard they are pounding the jumbo's at Lake X...:thinking-017:...just saying

Your wrong...Its lake Y...

stinkynuts
01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
The Fishing Discussion is good for all things but guys telling you where they are fishing and if they are catching If you where up around Edmonton I would help you out for sure but as you are in the south I have no clue where . you might want to stop at your local bait and tackel shop I know the guys in edmonton will piont a guy in a good direction if you ask

phillcollins
01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I heard from another post they all congregate in Hasse Slough:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Monster Pike Man
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Lol