PDA

View Full Version : any luck at Chickakoo lake???

ZeeFishing
01-03-2012, 09:49 AM
ive been out at Chickakoo lake the last 4 weekends and I havent gotten anything :angry3: Has anyone had any luck out there? I must me doing something wrong any tips would be greatly appreciated

Ryan R
01-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Got skunked myself out there not too long ago. For me it can be pretty hit or miss there.

HunterDave
01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
The last time that I was there I only fished for a couple of hours and I got skunked. An older gentleman came out while I was there and he caught 3 rainbows in a half hour. It's hit and miss or find a sweet spot I guess.

phillcollins
01-03-2012, 01:44 PM
was there before christmas , a few rainbows and 2 brookies :bad_boys_20:

ZeeFishing
01-04-2012, 07:52 AM
yeah hit and miss is what ive gathered from everyone ive talked to out there, ill try that lake one more time and if I get skunked again I give up on it

ZeeFishing
01-04-2012, 07:55 AM
was there before christmas , a few rainbows and 2 brookies :bad_boys_20:

thats great, congratulations; would you be kind enough to provide me with some tips? locations? set up? bait? something plz

pophouseman
01-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Went to chicakoo, limited out in 1.5 hrs on brookies, no rainbows though

tips:

#1 FISH EARLY - we limited out between 930 and 11:00. after 11 we almost got skunked

#2 orange Powerbait or worms work best on Small hook (octopus hook, I use yellow) Small size jig works (buddy was using pink head)

#3 7-10 FOW

When you stand on the boat launch looking out at the lake, off to the right is the "inlet" (for a lack of better term). set up off the point on either side of the inlet in 7-10 FOW (about 25-30ft off shore) and fish early, the earlier the better.

Geezle
01-04-2012, 08:10 AM
That lake got hit pretty hard early on after it iced over...and most people that go to that lake go with the intention of bringing home their limit. There are still fish in there I'm sure, but they're probably getting pretty thinned out.

I'm not as familiar with the lake, but you may want to give Sauer a shot. It's right beside Chickacoo and also gets stocked, but typically doesn't see as much pressure.

ZeeFishing
01-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys, Ill have to pick up some orange power bait. I have a question about what depth to place the hook. When I was out there last time I seen at least 6 good sized brookies all rite under the ice as if they were sliding there head under the ice swimming rite past the holes ignoring the shrimp/worms/power bait we had set out. So is putting the hook rite under the ice a good choice?

pophouseman
01-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys, Ill have to pick up some orange power bait. I have a question about what depth to place the hook. When I was out there last time I seen at least 6 good sized brookies all rite under the ice as if they were sliding there head under the ice swimming rite past the holes ignoring the shrimp/worms/power bait we had set out. So is putting the hook rite under the ice a good choice?

Work the water column below you. I always do alot of jigging, including letting it drop all the way to the bottom and bringing it back up a foot or two and dropping ti again. I find that the bait hitting the bottom attracts them with the sound.

ZeeFishing
01-04-2012, 10:41 AM
ill try that, thanks

BGSH
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
maybe it is starting to winter kill.

Geezle
01-04-2012, 11:39 AM

Not. Even. Close.

If this winter continues to be as mild as it has been, and we don't get a whole pile of snow, there is actually a reasonable chance that it WILL NOT winterkill.

HunterDave
01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Not. Even. Close.

If this winter continues to be as mild as it has been, and we don't get a whole pile of snow, there is actually a reasonable chance that it WILL NOT winterkill.

x2 I was there a couple of weeks ago and the weeds on the bottom were still green. I don't think that it winter killed last year either. There was definitely some winter kill but it didn't kill every fish in the lake. There were just fewer fish and they likely stopped biting. I believe this to be true for several other lakes that were widely believed to have a 100% winter kill as well.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :)

ZeeFishing
01-04-2012, 12:59 PM
shawn why dosnt anyone on this forum believe anything you say :sHa_sarcasticlol:

there is still fish in the lake i seen a bunch im just doing something wrong and/or there not biting

Paul C
01-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey Shawn can you please explain how you come to this conclusion on some of the local trout ponds ?

Kevin_Thunder
01-04-2012, 01:49 PM

With your admitted lack of ice fishing experience, how'd you figure?

The lack of snow cover means that sunlight can still reach the weeds so they can still live and continue to photosynthesize, rather than die, rot and consume oxygen. While parts of Chickakoo are slough-like in depth, this lake does actually have some depth to it, which would help the lake overwinter better. According to Navionics, parts of the lake go down to 35', give or take depending on the water table. Angler's Atlas states that the lake goes down to 30'.

If current winter conditions continue, I find it unlikely that there will be a major winterkill. It may still happen, but I doubt it'll be major. I'll admit, I don't fish the local trout ponds around here nearly enough to be considered an accurate source of information, but logic and common sense combined with some memory fragments from science classes makes my assumption make sense to me.

Willowtrail
01-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey Shawn can you please explain how you come to this conclusion on some of the local trout ponds ?

I would also like to hear a responce to this. How do you think a lake that is 30' deep, (I've seen on my sonar) with no snow on it winterkill so fast when plant life is still thriving?

:party0052::burp:

Thundercatcher
01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I was out there today, and nothing at all. Didn't see anything down the hole with my new one man tent set up

Paul C
01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I would also like to hear a responce to this. How do you think a lake that is 30' deep, (I've seen on my sonar) with no snow on it winterkill so fast when plant life is still thriving?

:party0052::burp:

You forgot to put up the beer icon with your popcorn and burps..:sHa_sarcasticlol: :cheers:

Willowtrail
01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
You forgot to put up the beer icon with your popcorn and burps..:sHa_sarcasticlol: :cheers:

Still taking meds for my knee, can't mix the two.

When are we going to get out and fish together?

HunterDave
01-04-2012, 07:43 PM
I was out there today, and nothing at all. Didn't see anything down the hole with my new one man tent set up

Were you fishing in the area that I told you about Thunder?

When were you out....morning or afternoon?

Thundercatcher
01-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I forgot the area you told me lol? I was fishing the front half of the lake. I got there late, fished form 230- 4pm

Kevin_Thunder
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I forgot the area you told me lol? I was fishing the front half of the lake. I got there late, fished form 230- 4pm

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/41787_214277156210_9019_n.jpg

It may be helpful to remember the advice people do give you when you ask for it.... maybe a little.

Thundercatcher
01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
with so many questions I ask, how can I remember all the answers? lol. Don't think anyone told me a spot, but they told me where to go, lol

Kevin_Thunder
01-04-2012, 09:26 PM
with so many questions I ask, how can I remember all the answers? lol. Don't think anyone told me a spot, but they told me where to go, lol

So you admit you waste our time then? Do yourself a favour, quit while you're still ahead. Oh wait, you're not.

Geezle
01-04-2012, 09:36 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Thundercatcher
01-04-2012, 09:41 PM
its a joke! Sheesh!

ZeeFishing
01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
GOOD STUFF :lol:

CamoDerrick
01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Was at Chickakoo last weekend, slow for everyone on the ice. Nobody had any luck. Tried right at morning light till noon.

ZeeFishing
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
same thing for me 3 weeks ago, no one had any luck. i give up on this lake :budo:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
If you dont try differnt depths and move around your not going to find them , They are still in there .

ZeeFishing
02-03-2012, 08:22 AM
ive moved around a lot and tried a lot of different depths and I found them but they just won’t bite, I could have speared them if that was an option. maybe ill try it again next year but im done with it for this season

CamoDerrick
02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
ive moved around a lot and tried a lot of different depths and I found them but they just won’t bite, I could have speared them if that was an option. maybe ill try it again next year but im done with it for this season
So you were seeing them quite a bit then? At what depth?