PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Jan 3rd

SNAPFisher
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Saw a white fairly early on and it tried to take the hook but I set like a moron and off it went. After that, nothing........
This was my 4th trip in a row...no whites on the previous 3. Then the walleye showed up. It was walleye after walleye. Must have landed about 10 of them. Started pulling the hook away as I was interested in whites.

By 10 a.m. it was looking like another white skunking. I began moving around, a lot! Finally decided on a spot on a drop off. By then it was well after 11 a.m. so I held little hope. By the time I was in I don't give a <beep> land, a white showed up. I had plenty of tries for this one as it kept coming back again and again. Finally I hooked up with it and the rod double, no tripled over! A real amazing fight ensued. About 10 minutes of it. I finally tired the bugger out and got it landed. I was surprised I was able to land this one. I swear the rod was close to breaking the entire time. Turned out to be very close to my PB, a 4.8 lber!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/Pigeon0103.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/PigeonLake0103_02.jpg

Yes, I might just be the cheese monster!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/PigeonLake0103_05.jpg

That fish made all 3 trips. That is why I keep going back to Pigeon - monster whites. I've seen ones there this year with another inch across in the back.

Cheers!

BeeGuy
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
wow, nice blimp!

Any idea the length on it?

Maybe just measure the handle on your scoop if you get the chance..

Rockymtnx
01-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Good stuff Snap!

Monster Pike Man
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Right on snap!!!

Jwood 456
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow! That's a hog of a white fish.

Flyfisher87
01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Nice work Snap!!

fishunter77
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Nice White. Thanks for sharing. Seems they are getting harder to catch at Pigeon.

arnie_ab1
01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
is it safe to eat the fish from Pigeon lake since last summer there was an algae warning in the lake?

SNAPFisher
01-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Fishhunter, I am finding it tougher for sure this year. However, I've now caught a 4.2, 4.6 and 4.8 this year. So the size keeps me coming back. I see it more as a challenge that I will have to search more and find them. Part of me is looking forward to that.

is it safe to eat the fish from Pigeon lake since last summer there was an algae warning in the lake?

Hope this doesn't blow out of proportion, but, I find questions like yours and how you have posed to be so....ignorant. Maybe that is truly how it is being asked that you just plain do not know. So not ignorant in a bad way.

Well, I would be lying to say that I know exactly how algae blooms effect fish. But you do have the internet at your fingertips...after all you posted on it :)
So, everything I've read is that it effects shellfish. Even that effect is temporary. We are talking fish here though. The only effect that I have heard and read on fish is that it kills them outright. Since it is winter now and all the agae is dead and gone, I'm fine with eating it. If i keel over this week because of it then you can learn from my mistake and point your finger at me and laugh.

Hope I answered your question :snapoutofit:

300savage
01-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Fishhunter, I am finding it tougher for sure this year. However, I've now caught a 4.2, 4.6 and 4.8 this year. So the size keeps me coming back. I see it more as a challenge that I will have to search more and find them. Part of me is looking forward to that.

Hope this doesn't blow out of proportion, but, I find questions like yours and how you have posed to be so....ignorant. Maybe that is truly how it is being asked that you just plain do not know. So not ignorant in a bad way.

Well, I would be lying to say that I know exactly how algae blooms effect fish. But you do have the internet at your fingertips...after all you posted on it :)
So, everything I've read is that it effects shellfish. Even that effect is temporary. We are talking fish here though. The only effect that I have heard and read on fish is that it kills them outright. Since it is winter now and all the agae is dead and gone, I'm fine with eating it. If i keel over this week because of it then you can learn from my mistake and point your finger at me and laugh.

Hope I answered your question :snapoutofit:

Wow, that was a little harsh. I wondered the same thing but also about the news of the other issue of the fecal coliform, that was in the news this summer around Ma-Me-O

SNAPFisher
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Wow, that was a little harsh. I wondered the same thing but also about the news of the other issue of the fecal coliform, that was in the news this summer around Ma-Me-O

To some, maybe. But a dumb question deserves to be answered as any question. Yours is no better. Sorry just being honest as the previous question and yours now really leave a guy with no place to go.

I guess I would ask back to you, do you eat fish out of Alberta lakes? If so, what lakes? And, do you feel they are somehow "better quality" than a lake like Pigeon?

I'm not being sensitive becuase I've kept and ate fish from Pigeon. I do not put much stock into the reports your talking about. In fact, didn't know about the Ma-Me-O one.

338Bluff
01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
We have had issues with BG algae and fecal matter for years. For the most part the fish are pretty safe. The BG algae blooms have been a common thing on some lakes for decades. At this point (January) I would say that there is no issue eating those fish.

Maybe don't drink the water.......

300savage
01-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Now that was an informative answer. All that was asked is wether or not the fish was safe to eat, Some folks, Me included was not sure if the meat would be adversely affected by the "crap" it lives in. It was an honest question. How many time have you heard advisories about mercury in certain lakes and to avoid consuming fish from those lakes. Do you heed those advisories or throw caution to the wind?

338Bluff
01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Now that was an informative answer. All that was asked is wether or not the fish was safe to eat, Some folks, Me included was not sure if the meat would be adversely affected by the "crap" it lives in. It was an honest question. How many time have you heard advisories about mercury in certain lakes and to avoid consuming fish from those lakes. Do you heed those advisories or throw caution to the wind?

Eat one meal a week according to the advisory. Best part is you don't have to share with the wife.

I would not hesitate to eat a fish out of Pigeon at this point. Maybe steer clear in the summer at the peak of a bloom.

Don't take my word for it. I would call SRD and ask if you want further reassurance (or dissuasion). I personally will not bother and continue to eat fish.

I will pose the question....what about the Farm Raised Salmon that are reportedly raised in their own crap (and fresh at your local Sobey's). Ever been to a pig barn, feed lot (in spring), or a big poultry barn??

Just saying.....

338Bluff
01-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Cool handle btw. 300 Savage is a classic. Best buck to date was with an ancient M99 I rescued from the back room of a gun shop. It was a steal and turned out to be a gem for the price.

happyfeet
01-03-2012, 11:19 PM
The lack of decent fishing is what happens when you (mis)manage a lake exclusively for walleye "sport fishing?" at the expense of all other species. I don't advocate poaching or breaking the law, but there needs to be some balance for the stupidity of the SRD and their insistence that every lake that can support it needs to be managed solely for the purpose of creating a massive walleye population that never grows because the lake is starving *cough* Lesser Slave is a great example. Pigeon was always traditionally a whitefish lake, that will soon end, people can go out there and catch and release little walleye all day long, what fun.

burbotman14
01-04-2012, 02:41 AM
That is a great looking whitefish. Those nice whites are also the reason I keep going back to the lake for a good challenge. It's a great feeling to ice one of those after a great battle and after all the time and effort put in to hooking one of those whites up.

It is amazing how a thread about a fishing report has turned in to something totally different. Algae blooms usually only occur when water temps surpass 70 degrees farenheit. The fish sometimes die because when the the algae dies and begins decomposing it quickly uses up oxygen, decreasing oxygen levels in the water.

An algae bloom is not something that has long term affects on the fish. I do not know about specific water quality, but pigeon has very clean, clear looking water in the winter.

Alberta Bigbore
01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Congrats on the oinker

Daceminnow
01-04-2012, 08:18 AM
nice looking stinky fish. eat all the fish you want out of an BG algae lake, but as mentioned don't drink the water and keep your best buddy Fido away from it as well. asking your dog nicely not to have a drink from the lake on a hot summer day may not work. then again it depends on your hound, some are real good listeners. it's not worth it. bad, bad stuff.

Dace

Hunter Trav
01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
The lack of decent fishing is what happens when you (mis)manage a lake exclusively for walleye "sport fishing?" at the expense of all other species. I don't advocate poaching or breaking the law, but there needs to be some balance for the stupidity of the SRD and their insistence that every lake that can support it needs to be managed solely for the purpose of creating a massive walleye population that never grows because the lake is starving *cough* Lesser Slave is a great example. Pigeon was always traditionally a whitefish lake, that will soon end, people can go out there and catch and release little walleye all day long, what fun.

I doubt the whites are going anywhere anytime soon. And from what I've heard the walleye keep looking better and are getting bigger every year. That to me looks like things are balancing themselves out...

dragon
01-04-2012, 09:36 AM
nice looking stinky fish. eat all the fish you want out of an BG algae lake, but as mentioned don't drink the water and keep your best buddy Fido away from it as well. asking your dog nicely not to have a drink from the lake on a hot summer day may not work. then again it depends on your hound, some are real good listeners. it's not worth it. bad, bad stuff.

Dace

Well said. As a land owner on the Lake we take part in regular water shed meetings to discuss water use and conditions etc. Blue green algae does not affect the fish directly. The fish die after the bloom has subsided as the decaying matter starves the lake of oxygen. It can also increase the water temeprature as the sunlight heats up the particles of algae in the water.

As for the fecal matter at ma-me-o. The problem was found a few years back and now is monitored regularly. It is believed that many alberta lakes have similiar issues however are not found as we don't have the resources to monitor every lake.

mooseknuckle
01-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Very nice white. Congrats!

SNAPFisher
01-04-2012, 07:59 PM
That is a great looking whitefish. Those nice whites are also the reason I keep going back to the lake for a good challenge. It's a great feeling to ice one of those after a great battle and after all the time and effort put in to hooking one of those whites up.

It is amazing how a thread about a fishing report has turned in to something totally different. Algae blooms usually only occur when water temps surpass 70 degrees farenheit. The fish sometimes die because when the the algae dies and begins decomposing it quickly uses up oxygen, decreasing oxygen levels in the water.

An algae bloom is not something that has long term affects on the fish. I do not know about specific water quality, but pigeon has very clean, clear looking water in the winter.

Thanks burbotman for the comments and to others as it relates to actual fishing. I was thinking the same thing as you about the challenge of the fish. Cheers to you!

Bear Ballz
01-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Spent all day on pigeon today and didnt see one white, landed 5 Wally, 2 jacks and a ling. We spent all day around the grandview area. 16" of ice

buckmaster
01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Spent all day on pigeon today and didnt see one white, landed 5 Wally, 2 jacks and a ling. We spent all day around the grandview area. 16" of ice

That sucks ! I am gonna be out there tomorrow morning at the p.p..

lifesaflyin
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
i dont usually keep what i catch but this year I have eaten 5 whites out of there. the blue green dont worry me.:sign0068:

BGSH
01-04-2012, 10:54 PM
What a huge whitefish, nice fish.

Speckle55
01-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Grats Snapfisher nice Jumbo

David

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 12:09 AM
last year myself and a half dozen friends caught probably 50 or so walleye and released all but 2 friends had tags for. we all mowed them down with no ill affect. cant catch white fish for love nor money healthy lookn whitey there snapfisher

The Anvil
01-05-2012, 12:17 AM
That is a very nice whitey indeed...

Great catch and wicked pic!

Cheers!

buckmaster
01-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Was out at the p.p. today and it was very dead. We didnt even see anything swim by at all. I measured the ice at 18''

Alberta Bigbore
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Was out at the p.p. today and it was very dead. We didnt even see anything swim by at all. I measured the ice at 18''

did you wear your feathers?

Wheelfisher
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM

I could not agree more! I have fished Pigeon since I was a kid, and since walleye were introduced, the lake in my opinion, is on the brink of disaster!

Pigeon Lake use to be a mecca for pristine lake whitefish; you use to see dozens in an average icefishing trip - now you're lucky if you SEE a dozen! And the size - does anyone know what it means when whitefish reach upwards of 4 pounds? Look no further than Hanmore Lake - it use to have huge whites, but with all the predators eating the immature whites, the big ones were eventually fished out (or died out naturally).

They need to do something urgently to knock down the walleye population in Pigeon Lake. One of the first signs of trouble I saw, was the disappearance of white suckers, now the whites and perch. Soon the walleye and pike will have nothing else to eat, any you'll be stuck with a lake full of 12" walleye.

fish99
01-06-2012, 12:41 PM
10 days after the first hard frost the fish will have no muddy or alae taste,banff used to dump its toilets right in to the bow river people still eat fish, down steam. does any one know if there will be net fishing this year at pigeon lake.

stgwynn74
01-06-2012, 05:19 PM
yes there will be net fishing this year ! twice if the quotas arnt met the first time .

SNAPFisher
01-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I could not agree more! I have fished Pigeon since I was a kid, and since walleye were introduced, the lake in my opinion, is on the brink of disaster!

Pigeon Lake use to be a mecca for pristine lake whitefish; you use to see dozens in an average icefishing trip - now you're lucky if you SEE a dozen! And the size - does anyone know what it means when whitefish reach upwards of 4 pounds? Look no further than Hanmore Lake - it use to have huge whites, but with all the predators eating the immature whites, the big ones were eventually fished out (or died out naturally).

They need to do something urgently to knock down the walleye population in Pigeon Lake. One of the first signs of trouble I saw, was the disappearance of white suckers, now the whites and perch. Soon the walleye and pike will have nothing else to eat, any you'll be stuck with a lake full of 12" walleye.

Sorry but both you and Happyfeet have to pull your head out of your, you know what, and get out there and fish this lake. In my opinion and experience from fishing it on a regular basis, the condition of the fish was much worse 3 years ago. I`m speaking mostly of walleye. They ARE being managed through the tag system and it is starting to show. The walleye have thinned out and most are getting fatter and healthier. I hope this trend continues. The whites, I`ve seen some smaller ones this year too. I`ve seen some decent and differing sizes of pike. With the 100cm limit now I expect the days of bigger pike will return. Can`t say this lake not being managed. It is being managed. Now if only they could do something about the algae and waste, we could then have a complete success story.

#4fisherman
01-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Nice catch SNAPFisher.

Our family has fished Pigeon for over 40 years. Like all lakes, the fish population goes in cycles, as does our luck in catching the fish we individually like to target, but one of the trends we've talked about is the noticable reduction in whitefish since the walleyes came in.

Granted, I'm no marine biologist, nor a CO, but 40+ years of experience on a given lake does count for something.

Could the reduction be caused by more and more anglers out on the lake, increased development around it, biological factors, and/or netting? I don't think anyone knows definitetively -- and if someone did, they could make a LOT of money. Just sayin'...... :)

SNAPFisher
01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Nice catch SNAPFisher.

Our family has fished Pigeon for over 40 years. Like all lakes, the fish population goes in cycles, as does our luck in catching the fish we individually like to target, but one of the trends we've talked about is the noticable reduction in whitefish since the walleyes came in.

Granted, I'm no marine biologist, nor a CO, but 40+ years of experience on a given lake does count for something.

Could the reduction be caused by more and more anglers out on the lake, increased development around it, biological factors, and/or netting? I don't think anyone knows definitetively -- and if someone did, they could make a LOT of money. Just sayin'...... :)

I appreciate the post. I'm not saying that it is as good as the "good ole days". I'm saying that the tags are starting to turn things around. If you don't believe me get out there and see how the quality of walleye have changed. If you do not agree with this tell me why? I'm seeing it first hand. Kind of hard to dispute that.

As for the whites, I've only had success the past 3 years so I don't know much about the past when I hear there were more and smaller fish available. I have always found it tough work to get whites there. I don't have any other experiences. However, that 4.8 lber was the only one landed in 4 trips and it still has me thinking that I want to go back...that was one heck of a fight.

So beyond whites, do you now agree that a) the tag system, b) the reduction of burbot to 1 and non after Feb 1 and c) pike now 1 over 100 cm are not steps to managing a fishery? I'm going to be very interested in seeing how it changes over the next several years.

As for for anyone posting back about water quality, shoreline development, weed destruction...yes we all get that it is more than just fish limits and methods. It is a whole package. At least there are things being done, as above, and management is taking place...and I'm sure not everyone agrees on the methods.

Hunter Trav
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
I think people just forget that success doesn't happen overnight, and need to be more patient...

#4fisherman
01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
So beyond whites, do you now agree that a) the tag system, b) the reduction of burbot to 1 and non after Feb 1 and c) pike now 1 over 100 cm are not steps to managing a fishery? I'm going to be very interested in seeing how it changes over the next several years.

Yes, I agree that the tags and other measures are beneficial. I also think that this lake has way more fishing activity on it in the last few years, both in the summer and the winter, and that has affected the numbers and sizes of the catch, even factoring in the limits, etc.

But then the same can be said for all the lakes in the Edm. region. The region's population has doubled (or more!) and the corresponding increase in anglers on the same number of lakes = more fish being taken out of the equation. I know all of most of us understand that -- I'm not one stuck in the "good ole days" 'cause that's unreasonable. It just goes to explaining why there's fewer whites out there for guys like us to catch.

I do agree with what others have posted on this forum about walleyes. Sportfishing was fine without this species being a) introduced into many lakes, and b) seemingly being the focus of attention by the province. IMHO.

SNAPFisher
01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Good points man! Thanks for all the info.