PDA

View Full Version : catch and release pike-please read

bunnyhunter
01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
hate to be the devils advocate-but the old fashioned grabbing a pike , or other fish by the gills and hauling it up vertically for a photo gives it less chance for survival.
nothing wrong with a horizontal photo-especially you folk who fish wabamun, or other lakes with c & R.

Never lift a Muskie or Northern Pike vertically by its jaw. This has the potential of causing severe injury to the fishes internal organs. When lifting for a photo, always do so horizontally using your other hand to support it under its belly. Remember to limit the time the fish is out of the water so have the camera and tape measure readily available.

http://www.ontarioanglerawards.com/MuskieTips.cfm

please give the breeders a chance.

Monster Pike Man
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
If those pike can survive through one of the worst chemical spills to hit an alberta lake in i dunno how long, they can survive for a quick picture. U are right in what u say though.... But there are so many people that really dont know any better. Maybe this will smarten a few people out.... But pike are really tough

fish gunner
01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
tough as nails is old essox. if I may add ,this at time of yr even taking a picture can be a judgment call . a friend and I released a smoking walleye ,with out a picture after it rolled in the snow hoping to protect it eyes

Woolly Bugger
01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Most people don't know how to properly handle a fish that is to be released. One should never put their hands or fingers in the gill plates (let alone lift the fish this way) of any fished that is to be released. Funny, the so called "professionals" you see on television are amongst the worst when it comes to handling fish prior to release.

WayneChristie
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Im just curious how those who ice fish for big pike, most with 8 inch holes from what Ive seen, get their fish through the ice? do you reach down and grab them by the tail? squeeze your fingers in their eye sockets? Put your willy down the hole for them to bite on? please enlighten m:thinking-006:e, Im new to this.

Dust1n
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I donno if you could hold back a 20lb pike sheer power just by carrying it by its belly. i guess if he decides to jump he will be back into the lake

FishingFrenzy
01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
tough as nails is old essox. if I may add ,this at time of yr even taking a picture can be a judgment call . a friend and I released a smoking walleye ,with out a picture after it rolled in the snow hoping to protect it eyes

What was it smoking? Apparently marijuana is a rising trend among fish...

fish gunner
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM

lol hemp is used in europe as what we call chum works like a hot dam! not sure how they roll with their little fins though

armymike24
01-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I've also heard that putting sharp hooks tied to a line under water and tricking fish to bite on them can also harm fish and lessen their chance of survival.

The references on this are numerous. Google "Does catch and release fishing harm fish?" and you'll see what I mean.

fish gunner
01-03-2012, 08:48 PM
I've also heard that putting sharp hooks tied to a line under water and tricking fish to bite on them can also harm fish and lessen their chance of survival.

The references on this are numerous. Google "Does catch and release fishing harm fish?" and you'll see what I mean.

if one wishes it ends there survival and starts their journey as a fryed food mmmm. fish flesh in butter

SNAPFisher
01-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Man, the sarcasm on the replies is thick...and awesome!! Way to go guys :sHa_shakeshout:

ESOXangler
01-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Thats terrible seen as though its a gateway drug!!!

In all seriousness the mans right, we should never lift by their jaw alone. Obvieously there are situations where you have to grab there momentarily but should return to a more neutral grip immediately.

SalmoTrutta
01-03-2012, 10:31 PM
its not good to handle or even touch any fish on any part of the head really, they have many nerves and sensors in there, they are especially easy to see on pike, they are all over their face. Ive been told you can handle pike by the "neck", w/o hurting them, the two little grooves just in back of their head behind their gills, Ive tried it, it works great but do not use it unless there is no other option. C&R mortality rates are high enough, even if you handle them perfectly.

bunnyhunter
01-03-2012, 10:33 PM
:angry3: and so this is why I usually dont bother giving advice. whatever.
go and use barbed hooks, put em on a stringer-then let the little ones go-they're tough! :sign0176:

I give up. well enjoy your fishing. I tried.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTx2qzrUcXVz2Uq8kuKZAVNMImnHn08u EAfR3lvQx4Wv3q0TlLc

SalmoTrutta
01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
:angry3: and so this is why I usually dont bother giving advice. whatever.
go and use barbed hooks, put em on a stringer-then let the little ones go-they're tough! :sign0176:

I give up. well enjoy your fishing. I tried.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTx2qzrUcXVz2Uq8kuKZAVNMImnHn08u EAfR3lvQx4Wv3q0TlLc

you cant take it personally, there are 25,000 people on here, half of them with nothing to contribute but sarcasm and ignorance. weed through the BS and take it for what its worth. I for one appreciate the effort put forth.

armymike24
01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
you cant take it personally, there are 25,000 people on here, half of them with nothing to contribute but sarcasm and ignorance. weed through the BS and take it for what its worth. I for one appreciate the effort put forth.

I also appreciate the effort put forth. I didn't realize people on here had such thin skin. No problem, I'll drop the sarcasm (for now) before anyone starts to cry....might be too late.

Bunnyhunter makes a good point. Something to think about at least. I looked up a few things and it seems there are a variety of opinions on this matter.

His source, Ontario Angler Awards, seems credible. Those of you who have fished Ontario, specifically Northern Ontario, know that it outclasses Alberta in every aspect.

Take care folks.

fish gunner
01-03-2012, 11:37 PM
I am bewildered by how up tight a large portion of the subscribers seem to be on this form, I give my 2 cents (lets be truthful thats all we are all sharing) and they dont care, they worry more about my speln than the issue, if I was worrying abought my grammer I would go back to school sorry im side lined. banter getting a hard time ,commradery give each other a shove in the ribs and b/s over fishing that's y im here share ur info give ur facts be passonate but lighten the #&@* up use hemp If u have to thank you for your time

BeeGuy
01-03-2012, 11:41 PM
thats a nice 7-can pike

haven't seen a 7 canner in a long time

SalmoTrutta
01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
thats a nice 7-can pike

haven't seen a 7 canner in a long time

LMAO!!!

I'd say 6 1/2 canner tops!!! no way that a 7 canner

Jiffy10
01-04-2012, 07:52 AM
I guess " Less is more " in this case.

I try to reach over the edge of the boat with my Pliers and release
the hook without touching the fish. Most of the Pike I catch are small
and its fairly easy to do this. I have picked up about 6 or so last
summer under the lip and held it undeneath for a quick Pic. Not sure of
the long term effect but they seem to be active little snot rockets when
they get back in the water.

Same goes for ice fishing. Head up in the hole .... twist the hook
and away it goes....

dragon
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
This is why I DELIBERATELY let them go when they get to the bottom of the hole! It's planned!

mooseknuckle
01-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Im just curious how those who ice fish for big pike, most with 8 inch holes from what Ive seen, get their fish through the ice? do you reach down and grab them by the tail? squeeze your fingers in their eye sockets? Put your willy down the hole for them to bite on? please enlighten m:thinking-006:e, Im new to this.

I'm with Wayne on this one, give me an alternative to yanking a 20lb pike out of a hole in the ice? I'm all ears.

I do believe that less time out of the water is best, however if I catch a trophy pike sorry but you can be dam sure I'm getting a pic or 2!!

BeeGuy
01-04-2012, 10:14 AM

In Finland, catching a kymppihauki, a pike weighing at least 10 kilograms (22 lb), is considered the qualification as a master fisherman.

brohymn2
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I also appreciate the effort put forth. I didn't realize people on here had such thin skin. No problem, I'll drop the sarcasm (for now) before anyone starts to cry....might be too late.

Bunnyhunter makes a good point. Something to think about at least. I looked up a few things and it seems there are a variety of opinions on this matter.

His source, Ontario Angler Awards, seems credible. Those of you who have fished Ontario, specifically Northern Ontario, know that it outclasses Alberta in every aspect.

Take care folks.

Funny how a guy from Toronto thinks he's from north western Ontario:sHa_sarcasticlol:

horsetrader
01-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Funny how a guy from Toronto thinks he's from north western Ontario:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Where did he say he's from north western ontario or I'm missing Something

brohymn2
01-04-2012, 11:39 AM
inside joke, hes a little touchy about being from toronto

anthony5
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Awful hard to kill a Northern Pike even if you want to unless it has been filleted or frozen for 2 days and even then there is no guarantee. Fished Northern On tario for 18 years, scared the crap out of some onlookers with supposedly dead pike:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jack&7
01-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I tend to agree with the OP to a point. If you are pulling monster pike out of the water, you gotta think it must be hard on them as you are supporting their entire body weight by their lip.

If you think about it, that scenario is basically equivalent to any of us being hanged by the neck...and we know how that turns out for us. So it can't be good for the pike either. That is why I don't handle any "bigger" pike at all in the summer from the boat. They get the pliers with a quick twist while they are still in the water.

Now when it comes to ice fishing, I am also in agreement with Wayne. How else can you do it? I have seen guys drill 5-6 connected holes in succession only part way through the ice and then go right through for the last one thereby creating a flooded trough to kinda "lay" the big girl into as you start to slide her out of the hole...I guess that's one way. I have never done it myself. I also doubt the big girl would stay still in that trough for very long anyway.

But I don't have a tent big enough to accommodate a trough.

Having said all that, I caught some pike last week and decided immediately that they were keepers and would soon be filling my belly. After immediately bonking them repeatedley on the head for the quick kill and then leaving them on the ice for the next couple of hours, then driving home for 2 hours, then finally getting ready to fillet them....imagine my surprise when one of them started flapping around once they were in the kitchen sink back home?!? I started thinking that fish was from the Terminator movies!

Pike are one damn tough fish...

ESOXangler
01-04-2012, 11:51 PM
inside joke, hes a little touchy about being from toronto

he should be!

bikerman
01-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Take care folks.
What? Ontario is better?Oh now I am so hurt I am starting to weep, please stop hurting our feelings. We're sensitive new-age guys on this forum, don't u know.
We're so sensitive, someone will actually take me seriously.

armymike24
01-05-2012, 04:02 PM

You spelled Timmins wrong, and no I'm not sensitive about it.:argue2:

bikerman
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
You spelled Timmins wrong, and no I'm not sensitive about it.:argue2:

Well I'M sensitive about it! I'm from Timmins, where you can still get a free dozen minnows with a fill up. Ahhhh, live bait.........

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 07:17 PM
this live minnow you speak of what is this?im sure the come in a small plastic dish frozen solid(no live minnow in AB)in

SalmoTrutta
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Well I'M sensitive about it! I'm from Timmins, where you can still get a free dozen minnows with a fill up. Ahhhh, live bait.........

use to love this, been to bait shops in Ontario that were more like pet stores. choose you bait like you choose gold fish, wicked

albertadeer
01-05-2012, 08:59 PM

It does suck when they wrap up, just gotta unwrap em! But after pulling 15+ 15lb+ through 8" and 10" holes you learn how to get em to nose up.

Then one of my new methods is to use a glove im not wearing and tap the tongue. Bingo! pull em out! Im sure we all know what its like when a pike clamps its mouth shut!

Other then that its a gentle gill plate grab and belly her.

Single holes are a lot safer then a bunch of doubles, easy to step fully in a double.

As for safe releases. Do what you can, try not to gill, release quick bla bla bla. Some times they flop and fails happen.

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 10:03 PM
this may sound a bit daft, but place them on their back use a firm grip and they usually stay calm . spreaders work as a last resort

slivers86
01-05-2012, 10:15 PM
The pike are strong, like mike tyson, can take many shots to the head, but will never be the same.