PDA

View Full Version : Flats fishing in Cancun

mtngoat
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Going to cancun in about 5 weeks and will be going flats fishing. Just wanted to know if anyone could give some suggestions on guides in the area they have used. Any info on good flys to use for that area as well would be great.

HunterDave
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm going on 12 Jan and I will be doing a day of fishing as well. I'm going to check out Captain Rick in Puerto Aventuras just south of Cancun. I've never chartered him but several people on AO have recommended him. Let me know what info you want and I'll try to find the time to track it down for you.

http://www.captricksfishing.com/index.php

DuckBrat
01-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm going on 12 Jan and I will be doing a day of fishing as well. I'm going to check out Captain Rick in Puerto Aventuras just south of Cancun. I've never chartered him but several people on AO have recommended him. Let me know what info you want and I'll try to find the time to track it down for you.

http://www.captricksfishing.com/index.php

Cpt. Rick is mainly deep sea trolling and reef fishing.

If your looking for flats fishing (Permit, Bonefish, Tarpon, Snook) try Ascencion Bay Bonefish club (ABBC), Pesca Maya, and Casa Blanca. 3 hours drive south of Cancun. Be sure to keep your guides motivated and well aware of what you want out of your day. If not you may experience a lot of downtime during your trip. Rent a car cheap, drive to Tulum and go south onto the peninsula towards Punta Allan. All of the above outfits are located on the drive to Punta Allan. Do not be afraid to explore the beaches along the peninsula with your flyrod. Bonefish skim the incoming waves looking for washed up crab. Heck I was even catching them out front of the resort.

steveo955
01-04-2012, 02:46 PM
caccunbonefish.com and cancunflyfishing.net i believe they both fish isla blanca

mtngoat
01-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to try ascension bay. It is a little closer to our resort. One thing I have learned fishing in Mexico is to make sure that your guide can speak good English. Not being able to communicate can be very frustrating.

Kingfisher
01-05-2012, 01:11 AM
I haven't fished right up by Cancun itself. But I have fished farther south down in Cozumel and way farther south in Grand Cayman. Here are some of my favorite flies that I use for bone fish.

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/The-Fishn-Nuts-Flies/Salt_Water_Flies_013.jpg

The most productive of all the flies there is the top right one. It is an easy one to tie. The hook is a size 8 or 10 salmon or bone fish hook. I can get you the exact number of the hook if you like. The body of the fly is just squirel hair in the middle. Then grizzly hackle tips, one tied on each side. The head I use is usually a silver or gold bead chain. I have tried a 5/32 lead head. But I find the lead tends to splash the water and scare away the bone fish if I am casting in their pathway. I will use the bead chain ones in any water less than a foot and a half. Anything deeper than that I usually use the 5/32 lead eye one's.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Rob

DuckBrat
01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Great Flies!

Also try tying with the plastic bead eyes for super clear and shallow water. Low splash for extra-wary fish. Remember to use a strip set on the take as a regular hook set wont plant the hook firmly.