PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with Motorized Canoes

canishunter22-250
01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I've been thinking about getting a 16 or 17 foot square-stern, freighter-type canoe for hunting northern rivers. I'd like to put an 6 or 8 horse kicker on it so I can get a decent head of steam when going upstream.
Has anyone ever hunted out of one of these? If so, how much of a load can you carry ? How practical and safe would this be for navigating smaller rivers? I'd like to get into places that jetboats can't.

sheephunter
01-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I've been thinking about getting a 16 or 17 foot square-stern, freighter-type canoe for hunting northern rivers. I'd like to put an 6 or 8 horse kicker on it so I can get a decent head of steam when going upstream.
Has anyone ever hunted out of one of these? If so, how much of a load can you carry ? How practical and safe would this be for navigating smaller rivers? I'd like to get into places that jetboats can't.

My Grumman can take close to 1,000 pounds. I've hunted a fair bit with it. You still run into problems in shallow water with a prop motor though. I've got oars on mine rather than paddles. They work good in shallow water when the motor isn't an option.

canishunter22-250
01-03-2012, 06:24 PM
My Grumman can take close to 1,000 pounds. I've hunted a fair bit with it. You still run into problems in shallow water with a prop motor though. I've got oars on mine rather than paddles. They work good in shallow water when the motor isn't an option.

What size of motor do you have for it?

catnthehat
01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
I hunted and guided for years out of freighters , and liked them, with anywhere for a 9.9 to a 40 HP, depending on the canoe.

You can track a 16 or 18' canoe over some real shallow water, moreso than even a light jet boat.
Cat

sheephunter
01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
What size of motor do you have for it?

I've just got an old 4.5HP on mine. If I hunted more with it I'd likely go slightly bigger but I used to do a lot of portaging with this set up and the smaller motor is ideal.

Mxyzptik
01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
We once hauled two bull moose quartered with the racks in a 17 ft. Springbok. We didn't have much freeboard but we made it.

Canoe hunting is fantastic !