PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the salt in less than a month-WOOHOO

Ken07AOVette
01-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I have been reading up, trying to decide if I should try and find a 3-4 piece rod that I can jam into a suit case for our trip to Oahu. I am going to be there for 14 days, so I am going to be making the most of it, shore fishing, fresh water fishing in the stocked and surplus ponds, and of course off shore.

Anyone got any stories about fishing Oahu?

honker_clonker
01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
I fished it from shore on a few different occasions. Never caught anything big but I have caught many different species. Goat fish, trevally, trumpet fish, lizard fish, lady fish and a myraid of reef fish. "Whipping" as the locals call it is what I have experience in. Basically a carolina rig with a 1" to 3" curly tail grub, paddletail, or other plastic. Popular colors are root beer, firecracker (clear with red, blue and silver flakes), and TRANSLUCENT GREY with black flecks. Adorn these bodies on a #2-6 hook and your in business. I liked 3/4 to 1 oz egg sinkers for the extra casting distance they afforded.

I would cast these as far as I could, let it hit the bottom and do a varied speed jerky retrieve. The key is to point your rod tip at the ground and keep the lure near the bottom. This yielded best results for me. I did this off of waikiki beach and caught 6 different species. Bring some TINY hooks to put bread balls on to catch the little reef fish. That is a fun way to pass time.

1/2 to 1 oz kastmasters in gold, blue and silver, and silver are also good choices. Trevally (under 10 pounds called Papio and over 10 called Ulua) can be found but are pretty uncommon in the touristy areas. Retrieve fast at the surface to provoke them to bite.

If you go on youtube and search mark white a series of head cam videos will come up. He is a lure maker on the island and the videos show the technique used on the island.

Long casts and fast retrieves are the most important thing. I packed as much 15 pound braid on my 4000 as I could, even little fish have shoulders down there. Hope this helps.

Ken07AOVette
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I fished it from shore on a few different occasions. Never caught anything big but I have caught many different species. Goat fish, trevally, trumpet fish, lizard fish, lady fish and a myraid of reef fish. "Whipping" as the locals call it is what I have experience in. Basically a carolina rig with a 1" to 3" curly tail grub, paddletail, or other plastic. Popular colors are root beer, firecracker (clear with red, blue and silver flakes), and TRANSLUCENT GREY with black flecks. Adorn these bodies on a #2-6 hook and your in business. I liked 3/4 to 1 oz egg sinkers for the extra casting distance they afforded.

I would cast these as far as I could, let it hit the bottom and do a varied speed jerky retrieve. The key is to point your rod tip at the ground and keep the lure near the bottom. This yielded best results for me. I did this off of waikiki beach and caught 6 different species. Bring some TINY hooks to put bread balls on to catch the little reef fish. That is a fun way to pass time.

1/2 to 1 oz kastmasters in gold, blue and silver, and silver are also good choices. Trevally (under 10 pounds called Papio and over 10 called Ulua) can be found but are pretty uncommon in the touristy areas. Retrieve fast at the surface to provoke them to bite.

If you go on youtube and search mark white a series of head cam videos will come up. He is a lure maker on the island and the videos show the technique used on the island.

Long casts and fast retrieves are the most important thing. I packed as much 15 pound braid on my 4000 as I could, even little fish have shoulders down there. Hope this helps.

RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS!

Thank you very much!!

WayneChristie
01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
wish I had been on the forum before I went to Oahu in 2000. only did one fishing charter, with no luck. I could have fished off the beach and had fun, even with all those darn distracting bikinis around! next time I go I will be shore fishing for sure. did some snorkeling and saw a huge variety. Ken you should check out Haunama ??? Bay for snorkling while you are there, its amazing. Water wasnt all that warm though.

honker_clonker
01-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I forgot to mention the equipment I like to use. For a rod I have a Shimano Exage travel rod. Its a medium action 8' 5 piece rod. If you can find a multi sectional one I would highly recommend it. WSS has a great selection of travel rods.

The reel is a 4000 size stradic FI. I can bomb casts it and it has a smooth drag for long runs. 2 spools, 1 with 15 lb braid and 1 with 20. 1oz egg sinker + rod + reel = 100 yard casts. You might not need the 4000 size but the increased spool diameter means faster retrieves. KEY.

I use 8-14 pound fluoro leader whipping the carolina rig with a good swivel. I leave the hook point protruding since there are not many weeds. 36" to 40" will suffice. If your going after papio (ulua are rare) use 20-25 pound since they tend to hang around rocky haunts.

All the tackle I usually bring fits in a 4"x6" double sided tackle box. You dont need a lot of tackle to have fun.

If you want to soak bait you can tie your egg sinker terminally and make a dropper loop and put a hook on it. This can work with shrimp or sand worms.

When I was there last you only needed a license to fish fresh water so go and enjoy.

Ken07AOVette
01-03-2012, 09:39 PM
wish I had been on the forum before I went to Oahu in 2000. only did one fishing charter, with no luck. I could have fished off the beach and had fun, even with all those darn distracting bikinis around! next time I go I will be shore fishing for sure. did some snorkeling and saw a huge variety. Ken you should check out Haunama ??? Bay for snorkling while you are there, its amazing. Water wasnt all that warm though.

We did Hanauma in March, it was awesome. Water was like bath water.

I forgot to mention the equipment I like to use. For a rod I have a Shimano Exage travel rod. Its a medium action 8' 5 piece rod. If you can find a multi sectional one I would highly recommend it. WSS has a great selection of travel rods.

The reel is a 4000 size stradic FI. I can bomb casts it and it has a smooth drag for long runs. 2 spools, 1 with 15 lb braid and 1 with 20. 1oz egg sinker + rod + reel = 100 yard casts. You might not need the 4000 size but the increased spool diameter means faster retrieves. KEY.

I use 8-14 pound fluoro leader whipping the carolina rig with a good swivel. I leave the hook point protruding since there are not many weeds. 36" to 40" will suffice. If your going after papio (ulua are rare) use 20-25 pound since they tend to hang around rocky haunts.

All the tackle I usually bring fits in a 4"x6" double sided tackle box. You dont need a lot of tackle to have fun.

If you want to soak bait you can tie your egg sinker terminally and make a dropper loop and put a hook on it. This can work with shrimp or sand worms.

When I was there last you only needed a license to fish fresh water so go and enjoy.

Should I buy here, or like everything else USA<CANADA should I buy at Wal-mart or a tackle shop there?

honker_clonker
01-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Depends what your looking for. A walmart combo will tackle most fish you come across but there will always be one that gets away. You can buy all the lures and everything down there and go which is what I did the first time. I gave the rod and tackle to a kid on the beach before we left and he seemed pretty happy. You dont need to bring anything by any means but I have confidence in my setup and that works for me. There are a couple tackle stores in waikiki but they are a good hike from the touristy spots. Worth a trip though for the knowledge these people have.

Mike_W
01-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Fished it once offshore around the end of Jan. I later learned that the fishing is absolutely horrible towards the end of Jan to about mid to late Feb. After that the fishing literally goes from dead to red hot.

Mike_W
01-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Ken my above post was complete bs :lol: well not totally I did fish it offshore it was a quick group corporate thing we boated a couple Mahi Mahi.
Have fun bud and enjoy the weather and fishing!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Why not just get a good rod and a bazooka tube and take it with ya . Or Buy a rod there and leave it behind on the beach for the next person to use . Either or is what Id do .

FishingMOM
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulated_areas_oahu.html

Ken07AOVette
01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
7 days to go, anyone else going to be fishing the deep blue water?

Got the rod, new reel, 125 yards of 12lb braided, 250 yards of 30 lb braided on the spare spool, 6 titanium leaders, now seeing if any hooks I have will work there.
I think my 4pc rod is way too small for shore casting, should work for dock. I will likely buy a 9' at one of the stores and donate it when I leave.
:sHa_shakeshout:

BeeGuy
01-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Man, I am soooo jealous.

You're gonna have a blast.

Teamprotz
01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Its WA-HOO isn't it !:sHa_sarcasticlol: have fun !

Ken07AOVette
01-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Man, I am soooo jealous.

You're gonna have a blast.

Then git your butt out there.....hey....

AO MEET N GREET OAHU FEB 2 :) Should I start a thread? :thinking-006:

Its WA-HOO isn't it !:sHa_sarcasticlol: have fun !

I sure hope so, thanks!

BeeGuy
01-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Then git your butt out there.....hey....

AO MEET N GREET OAHU FEB 2 :) Should I start a thread? :thinking-006:

I sure hope so, thanks!

Start a thread? Only if it's about smelts!

What kind of reel are you running? I've been picking up some bigger level-winds anticipating some ocean shore fishing one of these...years.

Ken07AOVette
01-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Start a thread? Only if it's about smelts!

What kind of reel are you running? I've been picking up some bigger level-winds anticipating some ocean shore fishing one of these...years.

Hee hee.... I started a new February meet n greet thread :sHa_shakeshout:

I'm just using a 3500 series daiwa spin, but have a big bait caster I could take too....