PDA

View Full Version : Help with ice auger

ssyd
01-04-2012, 12:29 PM
My buddy bought a used auger (I think it was a jiffy but not sure) off of Kijiji but he can't start it. He figures it's not getting gas to the carbeurator. He took it to Lawnmower Doctor I think it was and they wanted $150 to fix it so he'd like to do it cheaper.

Any ideas as to how to fix it? Is he going to need parts or can we just pull it apart and clean something out?

pechetr
01-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Pull the air filter, check it for cleanliness, Pull the spark plug and rest it against the engine. try to start and look to see if the plug is creating a spark. If not, the is is a bad plug, bad plug wire or a coil issue. If you have spark and the airfilter is removed then you know you have air and spark. Problem then is fuel delivery or mixture. Check the fuel line to see if it is plugged, then spray carb cleaner into the carb through the "choke" hole in the air filter area. let it soak for awhile. Should loosen up any clogged or varnished areas. put it all back together and try to start. If that fails....you may need a carb kit or...a new auger.

SwampShark
01-04-2012, 01:26 PM
... or new gas.

Could it be that simple?

SwampShark
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
There is a screw to adjust the carb in Model 30 jiffys. If hes got that set all the way loose or all the way tight it could be the problem. If this gets it started he will then have to play with the adjustment while it is running to get the idle/throttle speed right.

ssyd
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
... or new gas.

Could it be that simple?

If it was that simple we'd have gotten it running. The guy who sold it to him had stored it dry.

Thanks for the info guys I'll let you know what works.

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 07:42 PM
a good old fashioned carb tear down and clean is called for .is the pilug wet when checked after a few pulls or maybe an cracked carb base gasket if stored over long. in the calgary area Q tools do a mean jiffy service 70$ a few years ago hope this helps the spark plug posting is most probable

horsetrader
01-05-2012, 08:46 PM
If it was that simple we'd have gotten it running. The guy who sold it to him had stored it dry.

Thanks for the info guys I'll let you know what works.

Not knowing what year or what model it is I'm not sure but some jiffys had diaphragms in the carbs not floats. If it was stored dry for a while the diaphragm could have dried out and cracked I would check that. But checking the plug for wetness as gunner says is a good idea it will show if there is any gas getting through at all.

FishingFrenzy
01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Here's what you should do:

Pull off the recoil

Take out the spark plug

Take off any other parts

Put them in a garbage can.

Then go buy an Eskimo onsale at Canadian Tire. :sHa_shakeshout:

Jokes aside, all the other guys have given good advice. IMO make sure your using premium fuel with a good quality 2 stroke oil and a shot of Stabil, should make that baby purr when you get it running.

fishdude17
01-05-2012, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=FishingFrenzy;1241920]Here's what you should do:

Pull off the recoil

Take out the spark plug

Take off any other parts

Then, throw the brand new Eskimo in the trash :sHa_sarcasticlol: and get yourself a Strikemaster

fish gunner
01-06-2012, 12:17 AM

Pull off the recoil

Take out the spark plug

Take off any other parts

Then, throw the brand new Eskimo in the trash :sHa_sarcasticlol: and get yourself a Strikemaster

now after all this malarky put the eskimo and the strike master on kajiji sell them, buy sum beer, open one, drink . now go back to the garbage dig out the jiffy , say your sorry. now give her a new plug she will like that. tickle her carb a little this may take a bit of time. fill her up with her beverage of choice, a drop of mix will help. now push the soft spot on the side a couple a three times. pull her cord not too hard and listen to her purr! drink rest of beer u have made a friend for life now to prevent this next yr drain at last ice. run till she spluters (her way of saying bye till next winter).store in dry place and you are set the way of the powered auger. tight lines

Bryce
01-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Not trying to be a dick, but should've seen if it started before he bought it.

Kim473
01-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Pull the fuel line off the carb and see if fuel is at least going to the carb from the tank. Could be as simple as fuel line pluged or is filter in the tank pluged. if fuel getting to carb, check sparkplug for fire and wetness. If thats ok then you have narrowed it down a little as to the problem. Iether fuel to carb a no go, or fuel from carb a no go, or plug no good. If thats all good then you have a bigger problem and best let the pros fix from there, or sell and buy an eskimo.

fish gunner
01-06-2012, 07:01 AM

Pull off the recoil

Take out the spark plug

Take off any other parts

Not trying to be a dick, but should've seen if it started before he bought it.

well you see I do this all the time 300$ 98 blaser ,bad high tension lead.500$ johnson 20 horse, fuel diaphragm in backwards . perfect jiffy 30 200$ bad spark plug. I however have some mechanical tickets and have done time working in a power sports shop,and have made the odd mistake giving me the experience and patience to fix most things with a piston. it would not appear our friend is so lucky.

ssyd
01-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Not knowing what year or what model it is I'm not sure but some jiffys had diaphragms in the carbs not floats. If it was stored dry for a while the diaphragm could have dried out and cracked I would check that. But checking the plug for wetness as gunner says is a good idea it will show if there is any gas getting through at all.
This is what worked. My buddy replaced the diaphragm and we punched holes effortlessly all day long :) Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Lawnmower Doctor! $10 fix.

horsetrader
01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
This is what worked. My buddy replaced the diaphragm and we punched holes effortlessly all day long :) Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Lawnmower Doctor! $10 fix.

Glad to hear it.....It's nice when the fishermen wins once in a while.

fish gunner
01-07-2012, 11:30 PM
well done lads !! little bit of common. wee bitor effort presto jiffyorama.

thefloormat
01-08-2012, 02:46 AM
Now mix a jug of fuel with opti 2 oil that contains fuel stabilizer, so the carb doesn't ever have issues again. Been running the stuff 2 years now in all my small engines and haven't had a complaint yet!

It's nice to not have friends coming to me every couple years so I can rebuild their carbs, I've just pointed them all in this direction and wala.

TROLLER
01-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Had a simialar problem with mine, I was so "P" off I was gonna turff it when the neighbor came over took off the air filter, and bam. Just that simple.

Might be all you need.