PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Beavermines?

Beekahs
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
A couple friends and myself are planning to take our teenage boys ice fishing in March (hopefully there will be ice!). Problem is, only one of us has ever ice fished before. We are going to borrow a gas auger and we have some short trout rods and we think this should be okay for our first trip. One friend went fishing many, many years ago at Beavermines with his dad and said he remembers it as a successful trip. It also helps that we have free accommodations in the area.

Does anyone have any information on the lake? Is it still productive? Any tips on tackle?

Many of these boys are already good anglers as we have taken them out during the summer on many occasions but we are looking to keep these experiences going it the winter.

whitetail Junkie
01-04-2012, 01:50 PM
A couple friends and myself are planning to take our teenage boys ice fishing in March (hopefully there will be ice!). Problem is, only one of us has ever ice fished before. We are going to borrow a gas auger and we have some short trout rods and we think this should be okay for our first trip. One friend went fishing many, many years ago at Beavermines with his dad and said he remembers it as a successful trip. It also helps that we have free accommodations in the area.

Does anyone have any information on the lake? Is it still productive? Any tips on tackle?

Many of these boys are already good anglers as we have taken them out during the summer on many occasions but we are looking to keep these experiences going it the winter.

its been about 8 years ago since I fished it,but we used tiny single hooks like a #12 size tipped with Maggots,single split shot for weight,and a bobber.set hook depth about 12" off of the bottom,we fished 8-10' of water.walked from the dam\parking lot area south about 500-600 yards fished the west side of the lake about 20' from shoreline.i beleive there was a huge fallen tree\stump running from the lake edge into the water.Fishing was great there,awesome memories with my uncle who passed away 5 years ago.

on another note I heard it winter killed there a year or two ago,so im not sure whats the latest! if you dont have luck there try the south side of Beavuis lake,lots of trout there.I think they even have the odd brown trout too!

glen1971
01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I heard the Beaver Mines is having some success so far this winter, with some good sized rainbows.. They have restocked it last summer..

I'm not sure how much ice is on it, as it has been rather warm so far this winter..

tara_13
01-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I heard all good things on Ice fishing on Beaver mines... I didnt have the best of luck in the summer, while I camped there, this past summer.

The campground is also open during winter fishing.

I want to try that lake too !
Good luck :)