PDA

View Full Version : Wolf question

bigmeadow
01-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Has anyone had luck calling a wolf with the fox pro? I was out over the weekend and tried a lone wolf call and had a pack howling back within I'm guessing 800ytds. I kept howling but after 15 minutes they stopped and I never did see anything come in. It did sound like they were getting closer.

Can anyone share any successful strategies they have used?

Thanks

Lone_Wolf
01-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Wolf pair howl has worked for me.

st99
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
jackrabbit in distress with coyote challenge howl has worked for me

according to my personal observation, calling wolves and coyote in the bush takes alot more time than calling them on farm land

albertadeer
01-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Has anyone had luck calling a wolf with the fox pro? I was out over the weekend and tried a lone wolf call and had a pack howling back within I'm guessing 800ytds. I kept howling but after 15 minutes they stopped and I never did see anything come in. It did sound like they were getting closer.

Can anyone share any successful strategies they have used?

Thanks

A scout came in down wind of you. It can take a hour or more for a wolf or wolves to come check you out.

You were very close!

Rocky7
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
So what works, then? Hunt in pairs and put one guy downwind 100 yds or so and quiet?

st99
01-04-2012, 08:14 PM
So what works, then? Hunt in pairs and put one guy downwind 100 yds or so and quiet?

if you hunt by yourself, try to setup where they can't or won't like to come downwind like a steep cliff, non frozen water, a big cut block open to the road, even if you have a buddy looking chances are they will smell you before you ever see them, they can smell farther than you can see

Rocky7
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Hmmm. Yeah, they're smart alright. I've only shot one and that was over the back of an elk cow at 225 yds. Elk came out of the bush running with a wolf right behind her. Bugger saw me instantly, spun and jumped for bush. Didn't make it.

I've seen others, but no shot.

I always wanted to hunt them on purpose. Sounds like you guys know how.

Carry on and I'll read.

jvillads
01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I always wanted to hunt them on purpose. Sounds like you guys know how.

Carry on and I'll read.

x2

twytter
01-04-2012, 08:55 PM
a Knight and Hale jack rabit distress call work for me, had a 8 or 9 pack comin within 3-4 min running towards me,kill 4 i think but didnt go look for the 4th one only had 2 bullets left and was alone and there was more around,but manage to bring 3 with me

buckbrushoutdoors
01-04-2012, 09:01 PM
a Knight and Hale jack rabit distress call work for me, had a 8 or 9 pack comin within 3-4 min running towards me,kill 4 i think but didnt go look for the 4th one only had 2 bullets left and was alone and there was more around,but manage to bring 3 with me

Pics?

yamaha 1
01-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Pics?

x2

Jamie Black R/T
01-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Pics?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=111204

duffy4
01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
I was deer hunting once and saw a pack of wolves pursuing some white-tails in a cut-block.

I dugout my "eastman doe talk" call and let out some fawn distress calls. Two wolves came running to me and I shot them both.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/9-04wolvesgood.jpg

My Savage M99 in .300 sav. is not the most accurate rifle in the world (and some would say is "not interesting") but it holds 6 shots and I used all six to kill them both.

Grizzly Adams
01-05-2012, 05:00 PM
four wolves, four different strategies. Think the most important part is to be in the right place, at the right time. :D

Grizz

Outhuntin
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I used a fawn in distress call for about 10 mins, then put on pup in distress and he came in. Never got a shot, but it worked for me.

cmcclung
01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
duffy4 that is a sweet story story and great pics. would love to call wolves. I've just heard they're really hard to call.

duffy4
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
duffy4 that is a sweet story story and great pics. would love to call wolves. I've just heard they're really hard to call.

Like Grizz said...Think the most important part is to be in the right place, at the right time.

I just happened to find myself within less than 200 yards of a bunch of wolves who were in a hungery mood and looking for venison. An easy situation to call from.

Like any calling of wildlife you can sometimes improve your odds by trying to get into the right place at the right time. And when you get ready to call you can do what you can to make it a good place to see from and get a shot from if something comes in. But otherwise you just have to call and move, call and move, call and move...