PDA

View Full Version : whitefish fishing

walleyescout
01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
wanting to know the best tackle, techniques and bait to catch them whites any help would be greatly appreciated

burbotman14
01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Best tackle is a light action rod or marmish rod so you can feel the light bites. Wetaskawin specials, along with red, yellow, or copper wire worms will work. It is best to use 4 pound test as it takes a decent amount of finesse tactics and gear to get a whitefish to bite, but on occasion or at the right time of year they are fairly aggressive. With wetaskawins jig the lure on and off bottom about 8-12 inches and occasionally raise it up higher and let it flutter to the bottom. When you see a white approaching your lure it is good to keep it still or twitch it very slightly, as I find lots of action makes them veer off. Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.

WayneChristie
01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
30 pound plus bow, barbed arrow and strong line. cant beat it :bad_boys_20:
and welcome to the forum

Dust1n
01-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Tackle includes
bells in gold, silver and yellow
wireworms in yellow,orange red and copper
silver and gold spoons
flies, boatmans scuds cronimids

when you see a whitefish comming move your bait up above its head and shake it when it darts to come and grab it set the hook. if you see the whitefish dart away after your move your hook you did it correctly
bells you just bounce off the bottom and flies fish the water collom there found in.
Some people like the finnesse tactics and they work too with the marmish style rods.

ML rods are my favorite rods to fish them with bells
and UL for everything else.
2-6lb line is best IMO with PLine being the brand i like to use.

biggamehunter
01-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Gold bells!
Ill comment how to uuse them later on when im at home.

walleyescout
01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
thanks hopefully your advice will help me

fishunter77
01-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Welcome!! Every lake is different for whites. A "special" lure will be good at Sylvan, but will not work at Gull. You have to try different hooks and different methods. Whites are funny. You can sometimes attract 30 to a lure, but none will bite. Change colors and you don't see any, then all of a sudden one comes out of nowhere and misses your lure.

I agree the lighter the line the better. I use a Marmish rod as well with 4lb test. Have a good selection of wireworms, wetaskiwin specials and kastmasters work at some lakes. Good luck!

Speckle55
01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
:fishing:Wire worms here and russian hooks tipped or not tipped with 1 or more maggots45085

todays catch Wire Worm brass no bait 3ft to 5ft of water jigging to look like a backswimmer/boatman swimming ..saw 15 and 2 pike one break off

yellow brass red pink orange silver some colors that work.. its sometimes this motion in the ocean how you wiggle it or your presentaion if it looks like food then they will eat it .. do just like fly fishing match the hatch check stomach

Food for Thought
David

fish gunner
01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
pesky white fish cannot catch the no way no how got bells got 6colors of wire worms tiny jiging raps they all work on tv a buddy and his dad slay 10- 20' away but none for me

Speckle55
01-04-2012, 11:14 PM
pesky white fish cannot catch the no way no how got bells got 6colors of wire worms tiny jiging raps they all work on tv a buddy and his dad slay 10- 20' away but none for me

practice patience and persistance

redmega
01-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Could somebody tell me what a wetaskawin special is please:1041:

Speckle55
01-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Could somebody tell me what a wetaskawin special is please:1041:
vertical small spoon with 4 hook trebble on sides may be 3 to like a Bell hook

ssyd
01-05-2012, 06:44 AM
vertical small spoon with 4 hook trebble on sides may be 3 to like a Bell hook

A gold spoon with two double hooks that sit above and over top of the spoon. It would be illegal to have a quad hook ;)

redmega
01-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Cool, thanks guys