PDA

View Full Version : Winter Trout Fly Swap

Daceminnow
01-05-2012, 12:31 PM
hello all,

we've done these before on OA and i'm wanting to start and look after one this winter. i'm thinking a dozen members and trout flys as the theme. if i can fill the dozen spots within a week or so say Jan 15th., i would want all flys mailed out by the participants one month later by Feb 15th. you tie 12 flys and send them to me along with a self addressed and stamped envelope and i mail you back 12 different flys tied by our talented members. i don't tie but Dace JR. has offered to tie up one of his creations for the swap. you've seen many of his ties pictured hanging out of fishes yaps this past year on the fishing forum pages. if interested, please put your OA handle and the fly name you wish to tie and we'll see if there's enough interest to do this.

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD

npauls
01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
hello all,

we've done these before on OA and i'm wanting to start and look after one this winter. i'm thinking a dozen members and trout flys as the theme. if i can fill the dozen spots within a week or so say Jan 15th., i would want all flys mailed out by the participants one month later by Feb 15th. you tie 12 flys and send them to me along with a self addressed and stamped envelope and i mail you back 12 different flys tied by our talented members. i don't tie but Dace JR. has offered to tie up one of his creations for the swap. you've seen many of his ties pictured hanging out of fishes yaps this past year on the fishing forum pages. if interested, please put your OA handle and the fly name you wish to tie and we'll see if there's enough interest to do this.

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
2. npauls- BH pheasant tail or BH Evil Weevil in one of the colors I tie.

does this work Dace? I am not the best at tying but I will do my best to make these ones look good.

Dust1n
01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
Pm me your address Dace

SalmoTrutta
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
great Idea, but deadline wouldn't fit my schedule right now, I'd be all over it in the spring though.

Daceminnow
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
hello all,

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - white BH bunny leech
3. FH7 - catonic leech

does this work Dace? I am not the best at tying but I will do my best to make these ones look good.

sound great nate. i'd like to see your weevil.

Pm me your address Dace

no problem. you best start tying. you missed the deadline on the last one.

Thanks guys,

Dace

npauls
01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
sound great nate. i'd like to see your weevil.

Thanks guys,

Dace

I will do my best to tie the weevils then. I don't know if I have the same color dubbing as the original ones but I tied them in black, beige, grey, brown, and green last time and they have hooked some fish. I think I made the bodies to bulky last time so I will thin them up a bit this time.

tacklerunner
01-05-2012, 03:01 PM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
Pm me your address Dace

Just to confirm FH7, Dace's deadline is actually Feb 15, 2012

wbaj
01-05-2012, 06:51 PM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
4.wbaj - Stimulator
Pm me your address DaceWorks great in the fall

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
not sure how to get involved in this fly trade could pull off sum floro fins quick time. mickey fin variant .bulls and brookies love it in runnoff conditions.

npauls
01-05-2012, 07:42 PM
not sure how to get involved in this fly trade could pull off sum floro fins quick time. mickey fin variant .bulls and brookies love it in runnoff conditions.

Just quote the last list and add your name to it. Make sure to have a dozen tied up and sent to Dace's address with a return address so he can send you one of every other fly that is tied.

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
cheers should I tie them in the same color combo and where do I get address

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Just to confirm FH7, Dace's deadline is actually Feb 15, 2012

1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
4.fish gunner- floro fin,mickey fin variant
Pm me your address Dace

address also please

npauls
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Ya tie them all the same so that everyone that gets one can test the same fly.

Pm Dace for his mailing address.

I really hope my flies look and fish good for everyone that gets one.

GaryF
01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5. GaryF - crystal caddis

fish gunner
01-05-2012, 08:11 PM

lol only the fish really get to judge thank you for you help

Bigtoad
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman

Cheers.

icefever
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by GaryF
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
Enjoyed the last flys I got, look forward to seeing some more new ones

wbaj
01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
Enjoyed the last flys I got, look forward to seeing some more new onesI'll try this again

uplander
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
9.uplander-cutthroat candy
Enjoyed the last flys I got, look forward to seeing some more new ones

Daceminnow
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
hello all,

thanks,

Dace

1.Dace JR - white BH bunny leech
2.npauls- BH Evil Weevil
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7.icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator

looking good so far guys. a real nice assortment. i've received a few PM's asking for my address. lets let the last 3 spots fill up and i'll send it out to all participants at once.

thanks again,

Dace

fish gunner
01-06-2012, 12:53 AM

1/4 of the way done flys look sweet ,one more nites tying and then off to paint .been a while since I had an excuse to hide in ma man cave. kind of stoked to see what I get to try new, this coming spring mite have to learn to nymph lol.

npauls
01-06-2012, 01:01 AM
1/4 of the way done flys look sweet ,one more nites tying and then off to paint .been a while since I had an excuse to hide in ma man cave. kind of stoked to see what I get to try new, this coming spring mite have to learn to nymph lol.

I will help you out with nymphing if you can take me out for some top water lessons. I am terrible at dry fly fishing and usually resort back to nymphing pretty quick.

There is a river down this way I could show you and see if you can get into a few nice bows.

trapshooter
01-06-2012, 01:08 AM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
10.Trapshooter - Ant Pattern

Hopefully this will work!

fish gunner
01-06-2012, 01:20 AM
I will help you out with nymphing if you can take me out for some top water lessons. I am terrible at dry fly fishing and usually resort back to nymphing pretty quick.

There is a river down this way I could show you and see if you can get into a few nice bows.

ah yes the dry. I find the way you read the water is the real trick. then you can work out where one has to stand to get the drift you need. then the hard part puting the fly in that spot this is crucial. now timing the drift to pass over as the fish should be coming. back up . and last but not least the part nymph folk struggle with ,waiting just a little bit to let the fish take the fly. most nymph fisher persons strike like lightning at the rise,pulling the fly away from the fish.

Kingfisher
01-06-2012, 02:32 AM
1. Dace JR - Fly TBD
3.FH7 - catonic leech
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7. icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
11. Kingfisher - Prince Nymph

Holy smokes I barely made it in. I have been working on a "Special" version of the prince nymph. I think you will all like it. Don't know if it will catch fish yet as I haven't tried it. But I wouldn't tie it up if I didn't think it would work. I am going to call it my "Spot on Prince". You folks in the swap will be the very first to get this fly.

ONLY 1 MORE SPOT TO GO. Who will be the lucky last person?

Rob

fish gunner
01-06-2012, 02:54 AM
spot on, in under the wire. full list in less than a day that is fast. who and what will make the the last spot, drum roll please . lol. wish this was like a once a month or two kinda deal, hmmm already thinking of what to tie if I get this chance again.

tallieho
01-06-2012, 07:29 AM
hi all; if still in time night fighter lake fly

Daceminnow
01-06-2012, 07:57 AM
hello all,

thanks,

Dace

1. Dace JR - BH white bunny leech
2. npauls- BH Evil Weevil
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7.icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
12.Tallieho - night fighter

Tallieho grabs the last slot with the "night fighter". cool. well that filled up real quick, thanks to all the participants. with the great response to this swap maybe another member should look at firing another up. i will PM my addy out to all this evening. remember to include with your dozen flys a self addressed and stamped envelope so i can return to you, your new bugs. i will mail all envelopes out once the last batch of flys has reached my door. feel free to post a pic of one of your flys once completed in this thread.

thanks again to all the participating members, i look forward to seeing everyones creations in the next couple weeks. time to hit the vices.

3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7.icefever - zonker
8.wbaj- stimulator
9.uplander- cutthroat candy

Dace

fish gunner
01-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I am awe struck at the response to this swap well done mr minnow. feel like a kid in a candy store. I rarely if ever sit and tie a dozen of any one fly. it is a real test of my fly reproduction. I normally tie my flys one off and then get board and switch patterns. trying to reproduce 12 identical flys is a challenge, I am enjoying .not sure how to post pics from my phone or off my face book page help please.

Kingfisher
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Fishgunner send me a pic to my email. I will PM you with the details. Then I will post a picture for you.

Rob

fish gunner
01-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Fishgunner send me a pic to my email. I will PM you with the details. Then I will post a picture for you.

Rob

hey derr-rah no comp savy no go on e mail so trted g mail to the same roll of the dice

biggamehunter
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Any spots left for me?

Kingfisher
01-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Looks like we just got filled up BGH. But keep checking. I am sure there will be another one soon.

Here is a picture of Fish Gunners - floro fin,mickey fin variant
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=45177&stc=1&d=1325885308

Daceminnow
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Here is a picture of Fish Gunners - floro fin,mickey fin variant
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=45177&stc=1&d=1325885308

nice Gunner. good looking streamers. again guys feel free to post your creations once you've got one spun up on this thread.

Dace

Daceminnow
01-06-2012, 09:59 PM
my mailing address has be PM'ed to all participants. as mentioned have your flys mailed so they arrive no later than Feb. 15th. if for some reason i missed messaging someone please let me know. the following is the final list of members and the flys they are tying. thanks once more to all members, your flys will be out to you as soon as i receive everyones.

3.FH7 - Catonic leech
4.fish gunner- Floro fin,mickey fin variant
5.GaryF - Crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - Foam boatman
7.icefever - Zonker
8.wbaj- Stimulator
9.uplander- Cutthroat Candy
11. Kingfisher - Spot On Prince
12.Tallieho - Night Fighter

Dace

tallieho
01-07-2012, 03:16 PM
a couple of things that are imo the very best about fly swaps No1 the flys..No2 the fly tyers recipe/material list..ie is that peacock herl or ice dub??..please include the recipe thanks

Daceminnow
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
a couple of things that are imo the very best about fly swaps No1 the flys..No2 the fly tyers recipe/material list..ie is that peacock herl or ice dub??..please include the recipe thanks

good idea tallie man. thanks. if it's not too late please include your recipes with your flys. if no one objects i'll throw them up on here along with a pic of your creations before i mail them all out.

Dace

fish gunner
01-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I was going add a method for tuning a streamer all so old time troller style

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 03:14 PM
done one dozen! at paint hope to make morning mail. sending kingfisher pic to post or a least going to try to send

icefever
01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Here's a couple pictures of the zonkers, completed them today will send out in a couple of days. Don't have the best camera for taking close up picture but will give you an idea

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/icefever1/P1080477.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/icefever1/P1080478.jpg

Materials
Size 4 Mustad 9671
Olive and White 6/0 thread
Lead wire
White antron dubbing
Pearl mylar piping
Olive Zonker strip
Olive Grizzly Hackle

npauls
01-08-2012, 04:16 PM
I will try to tie up a few of mine tonight and take a picture.

My tying area has been disturbed and the tv taken away so the little guy can watch movies in his room.

So the only time I can tie is when everyone else is sleeping and not disturbing me in the living room. I have to set up and take down my gear every time I want to tie. Soon enough I will get my man cave back to how it should be and get a digital cable box. I can't sit down and tie without some background noise like sports highlights or a hockey game.

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
kik a&# fly, true giant killer. not sure if pic went thru .cant wait, wont know where to use it decisions decisions.come on men. present arms

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 04:42 PM
I will try to tie up a few of mine tonight and take a picture.

My tying area has been disturbed and the tv taken away so the little guy can watch movies in his room.

So the only time I can tie is when everyone else is sleeping and not disturbing me in the living room. I have to set up and take down my gear every time I want to tie. Soon enough I will get my man cave back to how it should be and get a digital cable box. I can't sit down and tie without some background noise like sports highlights or a hockey game.

feel for you man, back in the day had same issue .got the kid playing with hooks by 2 and not getting hurt they learn fast. now my girl 14.shows up the boys, we fish with. on occasion popping off fish like her old man.and canucks game on the clock radio. now I have man caveorama just huntn and fishing gear, even have a worm farm beside my bench , leather recliner clock radio tie at will

Daceminnow
01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Here's a couple pictures of the zonkers, completed them today will send out in a couple of days. Don't have the best camera for taking close up picture but will give you an idea

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/icefever1/P1080477.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/icefever1/P1080478.jpg

Materials
Size 4 Mustad 9671
Lead wire
White antron dubbing
Pearl mylar piping
Olive Zonker strip
Olive Grizzly Hackle

looks awesome Ice. thanks for posting the pics and the recipe. follow this mans lead everyone.

Dace

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
mustad 9671 #2
uni #33 red wire started 1/8 "back form hook eye tied along shank even with barb.

tinsel gudebrod silver holographic electra braid tied with 3/8" tag then over laping turns to 1/8" from hook eye
wire is now counter wound to 1/8 " of hook eye
wing tied in a mickey finn style. useing two small pinches white bucktail selected high on the tail
unstacked no more that 1/4" longer than hook bend to prevent wing twist. now repeat useing color of choice in this case floro pink small pinches aid in control of head build up.now top useing white buck tail again small pinches high on tail. now add a few thread wraps as needed to build smooth uniform head .cement let dry cement to stop paint run in threads
paint yellow craft 20502. to form eye finish pupil with marker pen cement twice let dry.
pick out tinsel tail. good to go. not sure if pic will go thru sorry if not.

tallieho
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM
sorry no picture...a real pain to try & uplload to this site..
So the fly is a Nightfigter: Hook wet fly#8-14 my tie for swap is #12 3906b
Tail Black calf tail or blk bear very sparse
body peacock herl 3/4 pcs.wrap around tieing thread reinforces it.
Blk.wet fly hackle [webby]1 11/2 turns behind the eye.
Now you can put a bead on the hook prior to tying it.Sliver.makes a good backswimmer imitaer.copper just helps it sink,but the best imo is a red sliver lined #8 glass bead.I fish in lakes,trolled or cast .small represent a small blk.nymph ,larger sz. a leech..tight lines &sinking corkies

fish gunner
01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
ok pic sent to kingfisher in hope he gets and posts. hope he does not mind. missed mail this morn in middle of nowhere building another broke tony soparano house. I wish people could figure out a house no matter how big is not worth millions if its made out of 2×6 lol keeps me bizzy got to work

Daceminnow
01-10-2012, 05:33 PM
tallieho's "Nightfigter"

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/DOCUME1BrianLOCALS1Temp2012-01-1001-04-31_0001.jpg

So the fly is a Nightfigter:
Hook wet fly#8-14 my tie for swap is #12 3906b
Now you can put a bead on the hook prior to tying it.Sliver.makes a good backswimmer imitaer.copper just helps it sink,but the best imo is a red sliver lined #8 glass bead.I fish in lakes,trolled or cast .small represent a small blk.nymph ,larger sz. a leech..tight lines &sinking corkies

fish gunner
01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
floro fin in the post cant wait oh will have to spring is 4 months away d'oh:thinking-006:

Daceminnow
01-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Dace JR's Bunny Leech

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3306.jpg

Mustad #8 79580 2XH/5XL streamer
Red 6/0 thread
Small silver cone head
White thincut rabbit zonker strips
White crosscut rabbit strips

Daceminnow
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
i received a message today from one of the participants. the flys he mailed out were returned to him. after going into the post office to inquire and mail out again, it was deemed the envelope had insufficient postage. i just thought i'd post this info in hopes this doesn't happen to someone else. maybe if you're unsure your postage will cover your envelope, it might be a good idea to mail out from a postal outlet. again, i look forward to seeing your packages.

Dace

fish gunner
01-11-2012, 08:09 PM
went to post office got weighted. paid for fancy envelope. us brits love the post

icefever
01-11-2012, 09:31 PM
sent my package out today

fish gunner
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
sent my package out today

keep your package we want flys lol

npauls
01-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Fly Tying The Evil Weevil Nymph Pattern

Hook:Mustad size 12 Nymph
Bead:1/8″ Gold
Thread:8/0 brown or olive
Tail:pheasant tail fibers
Rib:Med. copper wire
Back:Thin Skin or piece of a plastic bag
Abdomen:Arizona Dubbing, peacock color
Legs:Brown goose biots
Thorax:Arizona Dubbing, peacock color

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7563/flytyingandicefishing00.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/flytyingandicefishing00.jpg/)

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5116/flytyingandicefishing01.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/flytyingandicefishing01.jpg/)

What do you guys think of this? If you want something different I can tie something else. I am terrible at taking pics of flies so I hope it gives you an idea of what it is.

Kingfisher
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
mustad 9671 #2
uni #33 red wire started 1/8 "back form hook eye tied along shank even with barb.

tinsel gudebrod silver holographic electra braid tied with 3/8" tag then over laping turns to 1/8" from hook eye
wing tied in a mickey finn style. useing two small pinches white bucktail selected high on the tail
unstacked no more that 1/4" longer than hook bend to prevent wing twist. now repeat useing color of choice in this case floro pink small pinches aid in control of head build up.now top useing white buck tail again small pinches high on tail. now add a few thread wraps as needed to build smooth uniform head .cement let dry cement to stop paint run in threads
paint yellow craft 20502. to form eye finish pupil with marker pen cement twice let dry.
pick out tinsel tail. good to go. not sure if pic will go thru sorry if not.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=45534&stc=1&d=1326351920

Here is Fishgunner's final product. I tried to shrink it down to a reasonable size. We will see how this comes out.

Sorry I didn't do it sooner FG. The site was down all day yesterday.

Rob

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 12:21 AM
no worrys just happy it go there. got to work on my pic skills. walked 3 miles in tuesdays blizzard to make the post office!!

Kingfisher
01-12-2012, 12:28 AM
fish gunner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no worrys just happy it go there. got to work on my pic skills. walked 3 miles in tuesdays blizzard to make the post office!!

That sounds like something my old man used to say about going to school. :sHa_shakeshout:

Now I have to take some pictures of my flies and post mine also. I am tying some of my competition flies at the same time. Also got another order for a couple dozen chronomids yesterday. So the vice will be warmed up and humming for a few days. In between it all I had time to head over to the Calgary Hook and Hackle Club tonight for the first meeting of the new year.

Rob

npauls
01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Well I have 6 of mine done so far and ran out of olive thread so I will be heading down to wholesale tomorrow to pick up some more tying supplies and hopefully some arrows for my bow since I have some wholesale cards to use up.

Should have these sent out on Friday or Monday. Now that I have these figured out and looking better then the first batch I think I am going to tie up a dozen for my own fly box and go test them on the oldman and crow in the near future.

wbaj
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n509/wbaj/0ff04621.jpg

Here is a sample of the stimulators I love to use in the fall. I dress them heavy so I can attach a small nymph to the stimy hook bend. The heavy dressing keeps the fly afloat, which allows me to double purpose it, one as an attractor, one as a strike indicator. When grasshoppers are on the menu it can be a fantastic setup.
I have 7 done, package should be in the mail by Monday morning.
Cheers

Daceminnow
01-12-2012, 10:03 PM
fish gunner and uplander your flys arrived today. they look awesome.

nate and wbaj your ties are looking really good. finish them up a go see the people at the post office.

thanks guys.

Dace

npauls
01-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Went and picked up all the stuff I needed to finish the flies so I am hoping to have them done tonight if everything goes good.

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 10:11 PM
sweet I was a little worried. have not tied for others since moving from bc had a small following in the nelson area and tied hundreds of large main lake streamers. hope every one enjoys the floro finn. I hope you find them to be of a high standard

Daceminnow
01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
sweet I was a little worried. have not tied for others since moving from bc had a small following in the nelson area and tied hundreds of large main lake streamers. hope every one enjoys the floro finn. I hope you find them to be of a high standard

gunner, they look great. your picture does not do them justice. i will be sharing pics of all the flys here from everyone before i send them all back out.

Dace

Daceminnow
01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
icefever your flys were delivered by the postman today. good looking zonkers. i know of a lake or two in k country that they'll work very well in. i'm patiently awaiting the other packages. thanks.

Dace

Daceminnow
01-13-2012, 09:32 PM
As of Jan 13th.

1. Dace JR - BH white bunny leech - delivered
3.FH7 - catonic leech
4.fish gunner- floro fin,mickey fin variant - delivered
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
7.icefever - zonker - delivered
8.wbaj- stimulator
9.uplander- cutthroat candy - delivered

fish gunner
01-13-2012, 10:10 PM
come on lads whip those heads. pick that dubbing .lets have em

npauls
01-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Mine are now ready to go. Should be mailed out Monday morning.

I had them done last night but was really sick all of last night and most of today so I didn't get a chance to get them out. I actually think I had food poisoning for the first time in a long time.

GaryF
01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Flies are done, will be in the mail today. Someone will have to take a decent pic of them, my camera bites.

Daceminnow
01-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Flies are done, will be in the mail today. Someone will have to take a decent pic of them, my camera bites.

sounds great Gary. i'll post a pic of your creation up, no problem.

Dace

Daceminnow
01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Chubbdarter's "Disco Hopper"

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3330.jpg

i met up with chubb this morning. being the generous soul he is, he wanted to contribute to the swap. everyone will be receiving one of his "Disco Hoppers" as a bonus fly when i mail your packages out. he apologies that he didn't have enough of the same color laying around, but i can personally assure you that they'll all catch fish. thanks again for your generosity Bud.

Dace

Dust1n
01-14-2012, 09:44 PM
My flies will be in the mail tommorow morning.

wbaj
01-15-2012, 02:39 PM
As of Jan 13th.

3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
8.wbaj- stimulator

Packaged and posted. Should be there this week!

trapshooter
01-16-2012, 06:08 PM
just sent now!

npauls
01-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Mine went into the mail today.

fish gunner
01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
at a bhoys.-25 good tying weather if nothing else and its good for the ice i guess.
come on the rest of ya half hitching scallywags. present arms!!

Daceminnow
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Talliho your flys arrived today. looking good.

As of Jan 17th.

3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
8.wbaj- stimulator
12.Tallieho - night fighter - delivered

thanks guys

Dace

Bigtoad
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Just put the final coat on the backswimmers last night and have them all ready to go. Should be in the mail later today or tomorrow.

Cheers.

Daceminnow
01-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Trapshooter & Kingfisher your creative works arrived today. thanks.

i await five more envelopes. from what i read on this thread they should all be on their way. a nice variety package of bugs will be out to you all soon.

As of Jan 18th.

3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
8.wbaj- stimulator
10.Trapshooter - ant pattern - delivered
11. Kingfisher - Spot On Prince - delivered
12.Tallieho - Night Fighter - delivered

thanks again,

Dace

Daceminnow
01-19-2012, 10:10 PM
wbaj your stimmys arrived today. very sweet.

As of Jan 19th.

3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis
6.bigtoad - foam boatman
8.wbaj- stimulator - delivered
11. Kingfisher - Spot On Prince - delivered

thanks,

Dace

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 10:51 PM
in canada post we trust, wohoo cant wait

npauls
01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
I really hope mine show up soon. I thought they would have arrived today. Hopefully they are there by tomorrow or I may have to tie up another dozen and send them out.

GaryF
01-20-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm suprised mine haven't gotten there either.

Kingfisher
01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Mine are all done. But not delivered yet. So not sure why mine are marked delivered on the list. Maybe they have mine marked as yours Gary F or N Pauls.

I hope everyone put their board name along with their flies. Makes things much easier for the host to sort them out.

I will take pictures of mine tonight and send them out asap.

Rob

Daceminnow
01-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I really hope mine show up soon. I thought they would have arrived today. Hopefully they are there by tomorrow or I may have to tie up another dozen and send them out.

nate your flys were delivered today

I'm suprised mine haven't gotten there either.

gary your flys have been here for a couple days. i had mixed you up with kingfisher.

Mine are all done. But not delivered yet. So not sure why mine are marked delivered on the list. Maybe they have mine marked as yours Gary F or N Pauls.
Rob

my mistake boys. apologies to all. i will fix up the delivered list to read properly. looking forward to the last few packages.

Dace

Daceminnow
01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
As of Jan 20th.

2. npauls- BH Evil Weevil - delivered
3.FH7 - catonic leech
5.GaryF - crystal caddis - delivered
6.bigtoad - foam boatman

Dace

npauls
01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Oh ok thanks for the update Dace.

I was going to tie another dozen this weekend and send them out on Monday.

GaryF
01-21-2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the update Dace.

Daceminnow
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
FH7 and Bigtoad your packages arrived today. bugs look awesome. we now await the King and his Princes.

Dace

Daceminnow
01-23-2012, 09:40 PM
As of Jan 23rd.

3.FH7 - catonic leech - delivered
6.bigtoad - foam boatman - delivered

Dace

Daceminnow
02-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Just a quick update for all the participants as it's been a little while. i have been in touch with kingfisher and his flys have been mailed. as soon as they arrive i will do my best to sort and mail out to all as soon as possible. thanks again for participating.

Dace

As of Jan 23rd.

Dace

tallieho
02-01-2012, 09:32 AM
thanks for the info..

biggamehunter
02-02-2012, 05:41 PM
:(

fish gunner
02-02-2012, 06:33 PM
thankx for the up date DM.might have to find some open water, to try the new creations.

npauls
02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
thankx for the up date DM.might have to find some open water, to try the new creations.

Plenty of open water on the bow and down south on the crow and oldman. I am hoping I can get out soon with the fly gear.

Maybe try for next week if the weather is nice.

fish gunner
02-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Plenty of open water on the bow and down south on the crow and oldman. I am hoping I can get out soon with the fly gear.

Maybe try for next week if the weather is nice.

cheers for the info,hope to make the bottom of dickson dam before the end of the of the month if the warm weather holds.see if we can fit in a bow trip as well.:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
02-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Lots of open water on the NSR ......lol

Kingfisher
02-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Hey just wondering if my flies arrived yet? I don't see them marked off as delivered. I gave them to my wife to drop off in the mail box the other day.

I was just thinking of something. I never did get a chance to take a picture of them. Oh well. I could tie another few and still take a picture.

Rob

Daceminnow
02-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Hey just wondering if my flies arrived yet? I don't see them marked off as delivered. I gave them to my wife to drop off in the mail box the other day.

I was just thinking of something. I never did get a chance to take a picture of them. Oh well. I could tie another few and still take a picture.

Rob

nope. honestly i expected your bugs last week too. stopped every night on my way home to check. nothing yet. should be first of the week, or we may have to send out a search party. don't worry about not getting some pics, i'll look after that.

Dace

Kingfisher
02-05-2012, 11:29 PM
My wife said she did send them. I included a recipe for them in the envelope.

I would hope they arrive tomorrow. If not by Wednesday then let me know. I will start tying another bunch tonight just incase. If they don't arrive then I will personally come and deliver the new ones myself Wednesday evening. If they do arrive then I will have another dozen for my personal box. So it's a win, win situation all round.

Rob

Daceminnow
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
kingfishers envelope arrived today. all flys have now been delivered to me. give me a day or two to sort and package. i'll get everyone bugs back into the mailmans hand just as soon as i can.

All have arrived.

11. Kingfisher - Spot On Prince -delivered

thanks,

Dace

fish gunner
02-06-2012, 10:34 PM
wahoo ,thank you for your time dace.I appreciate your passion for our quite pastime.cheers big guy.

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:32 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3471.jpg

Hook: Mustad C49S size 10-14
Bead: Black to match hook size
Body: Olive Ostrich Herl
Rib: Small Pearl Mylar
Thorax: Black Peacock Ice Dub
Hot Spot: Fl. Orange Uni 8/0

I use the Fl. Orange thread to tie the entire fly. You can use an underbody of lead, which these flies I tied have to help get it down in deeper water. Any smaller than size 14 and you need to go to a dubbed body as the ostrich herl gets too long and makes the fly look weird.

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3467.jpg

Hook-Tiemco 2457 Size 12
Thread-Fire Orange UTC 70
Head-1/8 Gold Bead
Tail-Dark Olive Goose Biots
Rib-Fine Gold Wire
Body-Peacock Herl Dyed Red
Wing-White Goose Biots
Spot on back and front of fly fire orange thread

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3463.jpg

Hook wet fly#8-14 my tie for swap is #12 3906b

Now you can put a bead on the hook prior to tying it.Sliver.makes a good backswimmer imitaer.copper just helps it sink,but the best imo is a red sliver lined #8 glass bead.I fish in lakes,trolled or cast .small represent a small blk.nymph ,larger sz. a leech..tight lines &sinking corkies.

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3455.jpg

Hook: Mustad size #12 nymph
Thread: brown 6/0 uni
Underbody: pearl uni-mylar
Overbody: 2mm tan foam
Legs: brown stretch floss
Underbody Coating: Loon UV wader repair
Outer Coating: clear Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, nail polish

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:49 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3451.jpg

black thread.
green strung marabou.
size 12 hook.

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3445.jpg

Body - Black thread and dubbing.
Wings - Grizzley Hackle

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:54 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3441.jpg

Hook:Mustad size 12 Nymph
Bead:1/8″ Gold
Thread:8/0 brown or olive
Tail pheasant tail fibers
Rib:Med. copper wire
Back:Thin Skin or piece of a plastic bag
Abdomen:Arizona Dubbing, peacock color
Legs:Brown goose biots
Thorax:Arizona Dubbing, peacock color

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3431.jpg

Hook: Tiemco 200R Size 10
Tail: Yearling Elk hair stacked and tied in short, about the same length as the hook gap.
Rib: Furnace or brown hackle, dress this heavy if used as a strike indicator for second fly, less for just fished on it's own.
Body: 4 strands of peacock herl, twisted and wrapped as a rope.
Overwing: Yearling elk hair stacked and tied in even with the tail tips
Thorax: Olive Hare's Ear dubbin, over wrapped with grizzly hackle.
Head: Red tying thread.

Most often I will start fishing this fly with a GRHE or prince nymph tied onto the bend. If I find they are more interested in the Stimmy, I just cut it off and fish it alone, if not I will fish both. On good days both can produce.

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3346-1.jpg

mustad 9671 #2

pick out tinsel tail.

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3335-1.jpg

hook: diachi standard nymph size 12
bead: 1/8 gold bead
thread: tan 6/0 unithread
tail pheasant tail tips
wire:French 5gr. small gold wire
body:caddis green diamond dub
Wing cassing: flashback strip
thorax: purple diamond dub
neck:beige goose biots

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 09:07 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3331-1.jpg

Size 4 Mustad 9671
Lead wire
White antron dubbing
Pearl mylar piping
Olive Zonker strip
Olive Grizzly Hackle

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 09:10 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3306-1.jpg

Mustad #8 79580 2XH/5XL streamer
Red 6/0 thread
Small silver cone head
White thincut rabbit zonker strips
White crosscut rabbit strips

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_3330-1.jpg

Hook-Sizes 4-12
Yellow/Orange/Black Thread
Yellow/Orange/Black Foam
Yellow/Orange/Black Legs
Crystal Mylar Tubing

Daceminnow
02-07-2012, 09:22 PM
that all of them. some pretty sweet looking ties i must say. everyones packages will be sorted and mailed out before the end of the week. promise. thanks again for participating.

Dace

fish gunner
02-07-2012, 10:42 PM
yabadabadoo, fly's for me fly's for you.great looking fly's all.great pic's dace.cant wait to hit the the water, lookout my finned nemisi

horsetrader
02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't flyfish and I don't tie flys but I will tell you those are some awesome looking flys nice job guys

Kingfisher
02-07-2012, 11:16 PM
I can tell you guys that I have participated and run very many swaps over the years. From the looks of those pictures this is going to be the very best swap I have ever joined in with. What a great diversity of flies.

Great job everyone. Can't wait to see all those flies close up.

Rob

GaryF
02-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Awsome ties everyone! Thanks for getting this together Dace.

Daceminnow
02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
all packages have been mailed out. canada post is now in possession of everyones bugs. lets hope they all arrive without incident. please let me know once your envelopes have been safely delivered. thanks.

Dace

Daceminnow
02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
also. thank-you to all the participants that sent extra flys along. until i sorted and packaged last night, i didn't realise there was extras. thank-you very much.

Dace

wbaj
02-09-2012, 08:09 PM
also. thank-you to all the participants that sent extra flys along. until i sorted and packaged last night, i didn't realise there was extras. thank-you very much.

Dace

Hey Dace thanks for arranging this swap. Much appreciated.

tallieho
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
hi all;this was a present surprise[ rec'vd flies this am]..some very good tyers on this swap..thanks to all & especially Derrick tight lines & sinking corkies

Saltmania
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for posting pictures and fabrication details. Really cool!

npauls
02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
received mine in the mail today.

Thanks a ton Dace for arranging this swap and everyone who was involved for tying up some beauties.

I can't wait to get out with the fly gear and try them all out.

Thanks to ChubbDarter for the donation of his foam flies. They look like they will bring a few really good fish to the surface this summer.

Dust1n
02-13-2012, 03:42 PM
i got mine today and theyre awesome. Thanks to everyone on the swap

Kingfisher
02-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Got mine today. Thanks to all who participated.

Thanks to DM and DM Jr. for hosting it.

Rob

uplander
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
got my package today!

thanks to everyone who pitched in and thanks to Dace for hosting.

Bigtoad
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Got mine yesterday in the mail. Some real beauties there.

As a note on my foam backswimmer, I like to fish mine on a floating line and hit pockets of open water in the lilypads or weeds. Let it just sit there for a bit after you cast and then give it a few twitches so it dives under the water and makes a nice wake. Stop and then it should float back up to the surface. Let it sit there again for a few seconds before stripping it again. Then just lather, rinse, repeat. Casting into the circles of a rise is also really effective. I've had some great days on Beaver in the fall with this pattern and watching them come up and hit it is a lot of fun.

Some guys like to use them on sinking line and let the line bow in the water and then begin stripping it in with pauses. I'm sure this would work really well also but I like the sight fishing aspect too much and catch enough fish with dry line, that I never really end up trying this method.

Anyway. Thanks again to all participants, can't wait to use some of these once there is open water again. Might be sooner than later with this warm weather.

Cheers.

Daceminnow
02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
right on guys. glad the postman has pulled through. great batch of flys, no doubt. hope the rest of the participants envelopes land soon. who's hosting the next one?

Dace

GaryF
02-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Flies arrived today! Really nice ties by everyone. Thanks Chub for tossing in your dancer, looking forward to trying it and all the others out!!

icefever
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Got mine in the mail today, nice to see all the variety. I like to try and tie some duplicates, nothing worse than having a great fly that works and only having one. Thanks Dace for getting this done in a timely matter

fish gunner
02-14-2012, 07:23 PM
right on guys. glad the postman has pulled through. great batch of flys, no doubt. hope the rest of the participants envelopes land soon. who's hosting the next one?

Dace

got me beauties in the post just now.wow guys, great job.thank you to every one involved ,hope you like your finns. make sure you take a moment to tune them to run nice.pm if you have not tuned a streamer in the past.cant wait for a warm spell to get them wet.tight lines ,cheers to all. :sHa_shakeshout:

Daceminnow
02-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Trapshooter,

have you received your bugs? you're the only participant i haven't heard anything back from. thanks,

Dace

Daceminnow
01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
anyone interested in hosting a winter fly swap this year? seems there's some interest on the board again from member's wanting to participate. step right up.

mods, should this thread be moved to the fly fishing discussion? thanks.

Dace

kinwahkly
01-01-2013, 09:33 PM
In in, I would like to try that.

mattpreat
01-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Id definitely be in on this to, would be a fun thing to try out as i just got into making my own flys :D

Toirtis
01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm in.

Flieguy
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Might be willing to

Bhflyfisher
01-03-2013, 09:13 PM
im in, is there going to be a certain topic?

Off in the Bushes
01-03-2013, 09:36 PM
I have interest in this also, my skills are limited, my ambition makes up for it.:)

slivers86
01-03-2013, 11:35 PM
I have interest in this also, my skills are limited, my ambition makes up for it.:)

Me too. I'm in. It will be something simple as I'm just learning though. Or I can wait and get better for next year!

Bigtoad
01-04-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm in. I'd suggest a topic like:
- fun with foam

or

- your absolute best pattern of all time.

or

- just for lakes (or just for rivers)

Cheers.

cmcclung
01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Ya sounds good. I'm in!

newflyfisherman
01-04-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm in. I like dace's idea for the trout flies. Or the all time best tie as well.

uplander
01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
The last one was awesome I got a bunch of super sweet flies! I'd love to be in the next one.

Bhflyfisher
01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
I will Host. I will start a new thread.

Daceminnow
01-04-2013, 04:34 PM
I will Host. I will start a new thread.

thanks for stepping up as host Jeremie. will watch for the new thread.

Dace