PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in cold lake area for Ice fishing Saturday?

pikehunter1989
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
I think I might be heading that way for the weekend and I'm free to go out on Saturday.
I don't know the area at all but if anyone wants some company on the ice shoot me a MSG. I have all gear needed. I'm open to fishing for just about anything and anywhere within a hr and a half.

pikehunter1989
01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Not looking for a honey hole but from checking google I came up with a list of lakes that or may not even hold fish. Any help is greatly appreciated and I'm always open to some company on the ice

Ethel lake
Crane lake
Harold lake
Edward lake
Hilde lake
Maloney lake (are there any roads that go in there?)
Angling lake
Fishing lake
Rieta lake
Frog lake
Charlotte lake
Muriel lake
Sinking lake

These are the lakes I found in the area within about 1 1/2 hours. Any advice would be great. Like said I have no clue what kind of fish are in these lakes. I mostly fish for pike but some decent perch would be fun. Just looking at some decent fishing. Don't need to catch monsters all day but also not really interested in catching 30 1 1/2lb pike.

Thanks in advance for any help. If I have listed someone's "secret" lake feel free to message me if you want. I won't go blabbing my mouth about it on here or anything and I mostly just C&R

fishunter77
01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Muriel lake use to have great Whitefish 20 years ago. Unfortunately the lake level has gone down like many AB lakes. I am pretty sure there are no fish left in it.

I am not familiar with any of the other lakes you have mentioned. I hope someone else can help you.

-JR-
01-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Last I heard ,Cold lake is still not frozzen , all open water.

simmered
01-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I was just there over the new year visiting the inlaws. I was able to get out one day. I ended up going out to Little Bear Lake. Its about 20 minutes from Cold Lake, stocked with rainbows, and was pretty decent fishing for the time I spent there. Ice was about 20-24" on every hole I drilled.
http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu245/simmered1/f58448fa.jpg

pikehunter1989
01-05-2012, 10:30 PM
So I'm kind of thinking either little bear lake or crane lake. Possibly little bear first thing Saturday morning and than crane after. From looking on Ifish Alberta sounds like crane lake has some decent pike. Any info for Ice on crane lake?

ivegonefishing
01-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Cold Lake is Open water still, not sure if I would try the smaller bays yet. Crane Lake is a good option guessing ice is around 18" (haven't been there this year). But Tucker is 18" and have seen trucks on there (I use a snowmobile and sled) fishing has been fair to good out there, it is just NW of Crane L. Angling L- very slow. Wouldn't try Muriel. Remember to exercise caution with the warm weather and ice conditions. These lakes are for pike mostly. Good luck!

pikehunter1989
01-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Cold Lake is Open water still, not sure if I would try the smaller bays yet. Crane Lake is a good option guessing ice is around 18" (haven't been there this year). But Tucker is 18" and have seen trucks on there (I use a snowmobile and sled) fishing has been fair to good out there, it is just NW of Crane L. Angling L- very slow. Wouldn't try Muriel. Remember to exercise caution with the warm weather and ice conditions. These lakes are for pike mostly. Good luck!

Yeah I'm trying to decide between crane and tucker. Crane looks like a guy would have a decent chance at somthing just walking out. I have a truck but I hear that there's some bad springs on alot of the lakes out that way.. How far does a guy need to go on tucker to get a chance at decent fishing? Any areas a guy should know about as far as springs, thin ice, ect.. On either of these lakes?

ivegonefishing
01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
If you come around to North side of the lake I will be there Sat morning 10 am. There is a lane from the main road down to the edge of Tucker and it is a 300 yd drive across lake. If you are not comfortable with taking your truck out come and get me I will be there with a snowmobile and sled and I'll help you get your gear on the ice. Paul