PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunting boots what are you using?

bdub
01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Just wondering what sheep and moutain hunters are using. I have been wearing out a new pair of good boots once a year and was wondering if any other members are having the same experience or have been getting really good life out of their boots. The wife thinks they should be lasting longer but I keep telling her thats just how it goes when you do lots of hiking in the mountains. Help me get out of the doghouse!!!!!

sheephunter
01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Typically two years for me. Lowa Tibet GTX

buckbrushoutdoors
01-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Meindels Alaska hikers with IQ fit.

bdub
01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks, I've been wearing Hanwags and I tried getting them resoled but they started coming apart after the first walk. I end up wearing the toe and front of the sole down to nothing on the original sole. Are they a thicker sole or do you expect the same wear in your opinion.

full_throttle
01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Hanwags.

drake
01-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks, I've been wearing Hanwags and I tried getting them resoled but they started coming apart after the first walk. I end up wearing the toe and front of the sole down to nothing on the original sole. Are they a thicker sole or do you expect the same wear in your opinion.

Dont drag your feet....problem solved lol :scared0018:

steve
01-05-2012, 05:11 PM
hanwags

hardy
01-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I use an Asolo brand mountaineering type boot I don't remember the name but it is similar to the higher end model boots they have on their webpage. I have had them for 4 years and they have held up well, very well considering the amount of scree i have descended over the years. They have a hard rubber coating all around the bottom of the boot which I think helps them not to get all torn up. Best of all never had a blister, in fact I never broke them in. I purchased them and the first outing with them I was sheep hunting. Probably the most comfortable boot I have owned!

spurly
01-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Meindel

mtnhunter
01-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Are these as good as the reviews? I've been looking at these for my next pair.

bdub, currently using Asolo Power Matic 200GV. Like them, but definitely took some breaking in. Holding up well and I have worn them for 2 seasons.

Marko
01-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I use asolo boots. Had them 2 seasons and no wear issues, just find they have a very hard insole. Gonna be putting a nice pair of gel insoles into them for next year.

bdub
01-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah Drake the wife usually complains as well that I drag my feet when there is stuff she wants done!!!!! I had a Pair of Asolos a few years back as well and really liked them. I switched to Hanwags after a tried on a pair of a friends. We were in Ft. St. John at the time and it was hard to get boots so I ordered them out of Edmonton. I have gone through four pairs now, the tops are still in great shape but the bottoms go. If the soles are about the same thickness maybe you only can get so much out of any brand?

bdub
01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Anybody ever had any luck getting boots resoled?

Kootenai Killer
01-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Hanwags

Duk Dog
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Anybody ever had any luck getting boots resoled?

Yep (Lowa Tibet), at Alpine Boots in Kensington in Calgary.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=89261

buckbrushoutdoors
01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Are these as good as the reviews? I've been looking at these for my next pair.

bdub, currently using Asolo Power Matic 200GV. Like them, but definitely took some breaking in. Holding up well and I have worn them for 2 seasons.

They are Awesome! I'm hard on equipment and these things haven't torn split leaked or anything. The only thing is I have high arches so I needed a different insole. But I do for every boot I wear.

artie
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I used to use Hanwags but found after several yeaars of use I would start getting blisters on my heels. I now use redwing hiking boots and for me the fit is perfect.

SouthABFlyFisher
01-05-2012, 07:36 PM
i use kenetrek mountain guides. they are an amazing boot, and out preform the meindl and danners i have had in the past.....

LongBomber
01-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Up until I got a new job a couple months ago I would go through a set of boots every six months. Worn right out, all the ankle support gone, tread rounded into nubbies and the inner liner of the boot worn through, boots just aren't made to support 260 pounds plus 30 pounds of gear daily. The best boots are what fit your feet well. I have had kenetrek, scarpa, asolo, miendle, raichle, zamberland, koflak, Lowa, viberg, white and solomin.

The best boots I had were Lowa's either tibet gtx or crystalo gtx and scarpa cerra torre (discontinued long ago) fit me well and lasted a bit better than the rest. The worst were the meindle canada bought from cabelas in the US, they were floppy within a week, and fell apart after about two weeks. The model the cabelas sells is a discount version made specially for them, not the same as the $500 boots sold up here.

Here was my old office:
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/LongBomber/HPIM0110.jpg

Wearing my Lowa tibets:
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/LongBomber/HPIM0092-1.jpg

Hooter
01-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Hanwag Alaskan GTX with GoreTex. I've never worn another boot because I haven't needed to.

oldgutpile
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Currently into a great pair of Lowa that I wear day-in and day-out. I wear them at work, for upland, elk (and for me that means right up along the rocks in the early season), and everything in between. These could possibly be the most comfortable, easiest break-in pair that I have ever purchased.

gunslinger
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Kenetrek, the price is higher but they last and they are the best boot i have ever used.

RUM
01-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Lowa Tibet's here aswell. 3rd season with them and still lots of boot left, granted, I may not do much more than 25-30 days in them a year.

Only complaint I have with them is that they haven't got me onto a legal ram yet!

Sharp Stick
01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
for the last 5 yrs i have been using North Face Rundle Peak boots for early season (get 2 yrs per set) many guys will laugh becasue they are only $90 boots but they have been on 2 goat, 1 stone sheep, 8 bighorn and numerous other Mule Deer and Elk hunts without fail. I have had multiple pairs of $400 boots and the North Face just seem to work best for me...that said boots are like packs, everyone likes different ones.

I tried all the other big name boots but I really hate heavy boots and these fit my feet well. They also have ZERO insulation or Gortex which I like as well for early season because you can just use different thickness socks to regulate your temp and with no gortex I don't have to worry about having wet feet the whole trip :) . that may sound backwards but the problem with gortex is that if and when your boots do get wet they stay wet forever because the goretex locks the moisture in and wont dry out.

For later season i use Danner Canadians and they have been good so far, I will be switching to Kenetrex Grizzlies this year though for late season stuff, need a bit more warmth and i like being able to change out the liners so you always have dry boots in the morning.

Dark Wing
01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I've been using hanwags since 1999 and will be purchasing my 4th pair this spring.

209x50
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I've been using hanwags since 1999 and will be purchasing my 4th pair this spring.
Which model?

drake
01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
while unconventional in look these boots have gotten great reviews from guys on another forum. A plastic shell may be the only option for the durability you require.

http://www.koflach.com/en/parsepage.php?tpl=tpl_index

bdub
01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Hey Drake I did have a pair of hard shell Koflachs quite a long time ago. I remember them as being very hard to break in and noisey as well. They may be a lot better now.

jimbo1
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
ive found matterhorn boots very hardwearing

Dark Wing
01-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Which model?

Alaska GTX

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/Di1/2010sheephunt057.jpg

littlered
01-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Hanwags

Wrongside
01-06-2012, 05:32 PM
hanwags

x... whatever it's at now.:)

My Hanwag Yukons have been good to my feet. I'd buy another pair. Hoping to have a pair of Omegas before next season though...

Don K
01-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Had a great pair of Garmonts that I wore lots here, Alaska and the Yukon. Don't make those anymore so I'm trying Kenetrek.

ishootbambi
01-06-2012, 07:49 PM
many guys will laugh becasue they are only $90 boots

I tried all the other big name boots but I really hate heavy boots.

yep, lots of guys think if they arent 400 bucks they arent worth wearing.

my current boots are asolo. i love em for their sturdy construction, but exceptional light weight. comfortable as heck too. in fact i should buy another pair now because every time i find something i like its discontinued when i try to find it again.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/footwear/men-s-hiking-boots/horizon-gv-mid/prod292260.html

top predator
01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Cat boots

spuds
01-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Meindl's

ruttnbuckcojack
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
I've tryed and wore-out every boot that fit me, Then 4 years ago I finally try the boots the old man always preaches about, And sure as shhit Danner Canadians are comfortable and take a beating. 10 out of 1o

rk4
01-07-2012, 05:40 PM
I just switched to miendls I like them but their wearing out pretty fast. As far as durability I dont think scarpa's can be beaten. My dad has a pair he wore for years and I know of other guys who switched to them and same thing. Kenetek seem pretty popular also.

Lonedrake
01-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Where can a guy buy a pair of Lowa or Hanwag boots?

bdub
01-08-2012, 09:47 AM

I've been geeting mine from Track and Trail in Edmonton. I think there is also a place in Banff as well. Ithink if you go on the Hanwag website they have a spot where you can find the dealers.

MountainTi
01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
yep, lots of guys think if they arent 400 bucks they arent worth wearing.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/footwear/men-s-hiking-boots/horizon-gv-mid/prod292260.html

This is true, comfort is the main factor. I've boots from both ends of the scale, and have been quite happy with cheaper boots at times.
Heck, I've climbed a lot of mountains in $40 rubber boots with removable liners and they have done just fine, particularly when hiking in deep wet snow, feet are always dry

Duk Dog
01-08-2012, 09:58 AM
For Lowa this is a good bet.

http://www.bakershoe.com/

whitetailsheds
01-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Meindls.

Skinnydipper
01-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Lowa

I purchased mine from Wholesale Sports on a super sale last year that brought them down to reasonable!

fast_pass88
01-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the danner pronghorns?

sheep nut
01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Hanwags

Frans
01-19-2012, 11:20 PM

Yep, that's where I got mine... and I really like them. Tibet is what I got. They survived at least one season. Rats, how long till sheep season???

creeky
01-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Scarpa, Lasportiva, Raichle and Asolo (in that order)

gollum257
06-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I have worn alsmost all of the above & they were all pretty good Hanwags were good then I went to Meindls after that Danner guide boots which by the way were more comfortable the first day I wore them than the last day I wore my Meindls. I have a new pair of Kenetrek I think there called mountain hunter or something like that they seem very comfortable have to see how they wear when you wear them for a living they have to work most guys just get stuck on one brand & they never get a chance to try out others.

Vanden
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM

Ive been using these for 3 years now and love them. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

HELL
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Kenetrek boots are awsome have different models best I've had can get them in nanton or on line for dealers an youl see different styles

J.B.
06-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Had a pair...they were waterproof for about three months, and within a year i had em blown out so bad i could see my socks...been wearing Kenetreks for a year and a half now, and thier still going strong. still waterproof, and comfortable as ever. Im wearing the hardscrambles now, but will likey get the mountain extremes next time around. should be a couple years the way they are holding out. I also wear these boots as casual wear wherever i go...

bdub
06-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Bought a pair of Hanwag Atlai Gtx this winter and have had them out for a few go rounds this spring. They fit the same as my Hanwag Alaska Gtx, just a little lighter in weight and a little bit lower cut as well. Seem like very good boots for summer/mild weather conditions.

TangoKilo
06-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Ive been running my latest pair of Meindel boots for the past 5 years. They are showing absolutely no signs of failure, and will hopefully carry for me a few more years.

At work I have 2 pairs of Kennetrek Mountain Extreme boots. One pair is uninsulated for summer and the other has 400g of insulation for winter. Also great boots on par with the Meindels... Possibly a touch more comfortable.

Arn?Narn.
06-09-2012, 07:00 AM
don't do a whole lot of sheep hunting, but spend a fair bit of time hiking the mountains and bringing other guys in.

I wear Kenetrek Mountain Guides and they are simply amazing

Frans
06-09-2012, 07:42 AM

That's where I got mine. Ordered a size 7, which was on backorder, and got delayed even more, because of problems with a shipment. Then had them send me a half size bigger and never regretted it. No more hurting toes :)

Of course after one season I will need to use some glue (see separate thread).

I had full leather Meindls from the old country that lasted a lot longer than one or two seasons!

Duk Dog
06-09-2012, 08:24 AM

Wholesale Sports for Lowa locally.

209x50
06-09-2012, 08:26 PM
I ruined two pair of Kenetreks last season in the mountains. I wearing Lowa this year.

Gun+Rod
06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Ive had Kenetreks for the last 3 years. I use Nikki wax after every hunt they are still going strong. I wear custom insoles for a perfect fit. The tread is showing wear but not much considering the amount of miles i have on them.

To each there own.

Drop_Tine
06-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Lowa Teibets for my feet

recurve
06-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Kenetreks for me...love mine.

Tundra Monkey
06-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Then had them send me a half size bigger and never regretted it. No more hurting toes :)

THAT right there is some top shelf advice!!!!!!!!!!!

sheephunter
06-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Nice to see some of the stores finally carrying a better selection of Lowa boots. Wholesale seems to go through them pretty quickly though.

Sneeze
06-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Just picked up a pair of these:

http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/products/MOUNTAIN_MOUNTAINEERING/p_88004

Something about a traditional Suede boot with a good sole that I like. Yes - they take time to maintain, but in my opinion some of the gore-tex upper/rubber lower boots can't take the abuse.

My hunting boots need to double as Mountaineering boots. Crampon combatibility is a must, plus once you get used to a super stiff boot you never go back!

Ryry4
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Kentreks are what I'm using now. They seem like pretty solid boots to me.

nube
06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Dont drag your feet....problem solved lol :scared0018:

Or you could do what you did and just go on one or 2 hunts for a ram before you get one. Hard to wear them boots down then!:)

Stinky Coyote
06-12-2012, 07:06 AM
I ruined two pair of Kenetreks last season in the mountains. I wearing Lowa this year.

love my lowa gtx hunters (i think that is the name of model, memory fading?), the tread is very shallow now and looks like it was attacked by a pack of rabid rats and then dipped in acid...chewed and rounded etc. and the leather has seen better days but its great shape compared to the sole, i still love the crap out of these boots, i'm a part timer compared to you and sheep likely so its taken me a few seasons to get close to killing these boots but really the rest of the boot is still minty, just the vibram sole will likely be toast after this next season....g-tec leather conditioner twice to 3 times a year is what i've done for the upper

easily need 1/2 if not full size bigger in the gtx hunter i found, insulation i suspect

Stinky Coyote
06-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Or you could do what you did and just go on one or 2 hunts for a ram before you get one. Hard to wear them boots down then!:)

jerk

bdub
06-12-2012, 07:13 AM
love my lowa gtx hunters (i think that is the name of model, memory fading?), the tread is very shallow now and looks like it was attacked by a pack of rabid rats and then dipped in acid...chewed and rounded etc. and the leather has seen better days but its great shape compared to the sole, i still love the crap out of these boots, i'm a part timer compared to you and sheep likely so its taken me a few seasons to get close to killing these boots but really the rest of the boot is still minty, just the vibram sole will likely be toast after this next season....g-tec leather conditioner twice to 3 times a year is what i've done for the upper

easily need 1/2 if not full size bigger in the gtx hunter i found, insulation i suspect

It might be worth resoling your boots. I had a pair resoled this winter and they seem to be hanging in there so far.

V_1
06-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Gronell Klondike II. Classics! All leather, traditional design. Second season in, next pair will be the same model, but likely I will resole this pair.

Stinky Coyote
06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
jerk

i meant to the guy who only went on 1 or 2 hunts and got his ram of course ;) :)

BC HUNTER
06-12-2012, 05:33 PM

Awesome for upland hunting! Would not stand up to mtn hunting.

Leather burner
06-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Hanwags and meindels for me. Resoled the meindels with reasonable success, but the stitching on the uppers started failing shortly after, so prob wouldn't bother resoling again. They both trash my feet after long hunts, but I switch back and forth from hunt to hunt so I don't trash the same spots. Spread out the pain a bit. I can count on having a numb big toe for 6 months after a sheep hunt. Not sure why, it's not hitting the end of the boot.

mightybuck
06-13-2012, 08:50 PM
JUst got a pair of Kenetreks this year the mountaineer 400's and I am excited about using them this year for sheep hunting. Have used Hanwags Alaskans and loved them but got these for about 100 dollars cheaper ($270) and excited .

Leeper
06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Scarpa. Mine have at least a thousand miles on them and look like they will go another year before they need re-soling. They are a very stiff boot and a bit heavy but they are serving me well. I like leather boots and wood stocks! Leeper

bullgetter
06-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Just bought a pair of HanWag alaskans yesterday. Seems like a similar design as my old Meidls but the salesman told be they fit more people than the meidls will. I was going to look at Kenetreks but the store in Beaumont will not answer the phone. Gonna have to start breaking them in.

06-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Kenetrek montain extreme boots. Held up for three seasons already. But they have a new boot I want to look at when it comes out this summer.

nekred
06-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Rubber Boots.............:scared0018:

cowmanbob
06-14-2012, 03:58 PM
rubber boots and a thick footbed with helly hanson socks.

fast_pass88
06-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Awesome for upland hunting! Would not stand up to mtn hunting.

did some more research and that's what i found out. picking up a pair of hanwags in a couple days

Blanka
06-19-2012, 08:27 PM

I'm heading up on a sheep hunt in August and wanted to check out some Meindels? Are there any dealers in Calgary? I tried searching the Meindels website for dealers but it didn't work.

Thanks

Springer
06-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I have Kenetreks , i believe the Mountain extreme model. They are very comfortable but first trip out the rubber moulding around the outside started peeling off, beginning at the toe first . I contacted the rep and he told me to have them repaired and they would pay for the repair, i said BS they were brand new and they would not stand behind them.
After repairing them they are continuing to delaminate more again around this rubber membrane.
I saw Ricardo i believe his name is at Huntfest last year and he gave me a container of 12 dollar boot wax to make me happy. I think their customer service stinks and i will go back to Lowa's again. When you spend $450 on boots they should last a very long time.

BackPackHunter
06-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Hanwags