PDA

View Full Version : Seward, Alaska fishing charters

SNAPFisher
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Planning a trip with me and my dad to Alaska this year. Looking for a charter service out of Seward, Alaska. What is really disappointing me is that all the charters I have looked at so far have about 27 foot boats and 6 person minimum. They gotta be kidding right???

Does anyone know of any charters worth recommending for this area that might have a more down to earth offering without having to rent out an entire boat of 6 for 3 people. Not interested in fishing with another group that I do not know.

Any help would be appreciated.

wildman
01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Hey snappy
I've seen some really cool packages for the area but cannot remember the companies. These were all fly fishing or spey fishing setups tho.
Maybe do a google of the area and fly or Spey fishing
Hope this helps
Sorry I don't have more info
Cheers

Serengeti Charters
01-05-2012, 10:51 PM
The party fishing is huge in alaska, few small operators left, but should be able to find some. There was one that came to the Calgary Sportsman's show but I believe that was river fishing on the Kenai...I think. In the next few days I'll see if I can find some smaller operators out of Seward. As many Americans say to one another about why to fish in Alaska rather than BC, why not keep it in Canada? :lol:

ivegonefishing
01-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I was up there a couple of years back. Ran into some guys who fished Seward and were not impressed with rates in Seward and cost of accommodations, etc. Although I hear it is a great place to fish. I was in Homer and went fishing there. Lots of outfitters to choose from, good accommodations (although we were in a trailer and were camping right at the end of the spit by the ocean), lots of restaurants, etc. On the way out there from Anchorage there were huge clamming beaches and salmon river fishing in Soldotna as a bonus. Wish you luck and safe travels!:cheers:

lone wolf
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I was up there a couple of years back. Ran into some guys who fished Seward and were not impressed with rates in Seward and cost of accommodations, etc. Although I hear it is a great place to fish. I was in Homer and went fishing there. Lots of outfitters to choose from, good accommodations (although we were in a trailer and were camping right at the end of the spit by the ocean), lots of restaurants, etc. On the way out there from Anchorage there were huge clamming beaches and salmon river fishing in Soldotna as a bonus. Wish you luck and safe travels!:cheers:

I hear ya - that is what I did when we went to Alaska. I have a contact for a small operator out of Homer that I would highly recommend. The owner is a retired Fire Captain, and a really solid guy. He and his wife also operate a B & B so you can stay with them as well.

SNAPFisher
01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
The party fishing is huge in alaska, few small operators left, but should be able to find some. There was one that came to the Calgary Sportsman's show but I believe that was river fishing on the Kenai...I think. In the next few days I'll see if I can find some smaller operators out of Seward. As many Americans say to one another about why to fish in Alaska rather than BC, why not keep it in Canada? :lol:

I hear you, I`m fishing with you the week before I head to Alaska! :)
Jul 14 and 15.

Truth be told I`m more positive about fishing with you. I`m taking the stepdad to B.C. and my dad to Alaska. The trip with my dad is a once in a lifetime one for him. It is likely not something I`ll do again - this is really for him and I hope it is an awesome experience for him and me (to a lesser extent). The most important thing is that we have a great time fishing and touring around. I`ll really, really try to keep an open mind. I`ve now booked with Aurora Charters out of Seward. Sounds like Homer might have been the more flexible bet.

Serengeti Charters
01-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Oh ok, that's awesome, looking forward to it. Didn't know you were coming up in that group as well! From my understanding Seward has better fishing than homer however, so should be a good trip!

gordfishing
01-07-2012, 11:43 AM
When I was in Seward many many people were fishing from shore, the coho were so plentiful it was a snag fest, throwing leded trebles and snagging, if you were in a boat they were jumping in. you won't need a guide, I am sure when you get there you can find a guided trip for two or three people, that what my wife and I did,
I think you would have more fun going to Vancouver Island, Ucluelet or Tofino
Seward didn't look alot different than the island.
Prince Rupert also has excellent fishing and crabbing

SNAPFisher
01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
When I was in Seward many many people were fishing from shore, the coho were so plentiful it was a snag fest, throwing leded trebles and snagging, if you were in a boat they were jumping in. you won't need a guide, I am sure when you get there you can find a guided trip for two or three people, that what my wife and I did,
I think you would have more fun going to Vancouver Island, Ucluelet or Tofino
Seward didn't look alot different than the island.
Prince Rupert also has excellent fishing and crabbing

Thanks Gord, I hear you too. The bigger point is Alaska and taking my dad there. It is always something he has talked about doing. My preference is definately all Canadian and the West coast. Man do we have it good!!! So, this is really about him hoping for the best. The 2 days fishing are only 2 out of 16 days we will be in Alaska. I hope it exceeds his expectations. Thanks for the word on the coho fishing...sounds almost too good to be true :)

SNAPFisher
01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Just want to say thanks for all who responded and sent me PMs. I may be frustrated at times on this board, but, one thing that is true is that when you post and ask for information, like this case, you get some really useful insights and information. Thank you for that!

Cheers!

Jamie
01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Snap, how are you guys getting there?
Have you thought of the marine highways?

Jamie

SNAPFisher
01-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Snap, how are you guys getting there?
Have you thought of the marine highways?

Jamie

Going through Fairbanks so not the marine highways...other than getting into Seward. Have all kinds of stuff booked along the way including back in Whitehorse, YK. Just got off the phone of the local B&B we are staying at. Great price and she spent an hour talking with me about things to do. Turns out, in her opinion, the best two charters in Seward are CrackerJack (already booked) and Aurora. I booked with Aurora. I got lucky. It is family owned and run. They family has been guiding out of Seward for 30+ years. I.E. they know the waters intimately and better than most other guides.

Okay, now I am completely stoked!!! 2 days with Serenghetti in mid-July then 2 days with Aurora at the end of July...can you say the year of amazing fishing trips!!!