PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Tailed Grouse

joshcat
01-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Just curious if anyone knows if they are going to open up the season again. Does anyone know if they have been doing counts. If we have a good rest of the winter, uplands should have a good spring. In my area I noticed roughies were down (although I did run into groups of 20 juvenile birds on numerous occasions) and Sharpie numbers are way up. I have seen over 200 birds in less then 10 square miles.

Hunter Trav
01-06-2012, 08:56 AM
When did they close the season for them? You can hunt them in certain WMU's for the whole month of October...

Sharp-tailed
Grouse
5/day 15/ possession limit
102-246, 252-256, 300-314, 334, 400-402, 518-520, 524, 525, 528-542, 936
O1 - O31

joshcat
01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Sorry I am in 527, I should have specified that.

BigJon
01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
If you know of a density of sharpies like that in your area you should let a local wildlife bio know the legal land description(s).

By and large sharptail numbers in the Peace Country have been on a steady decline for alot of years...and we all know hunting is not the cause.

shedcrazy
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Sharptail counts are done in the spring when they are on their leks (dancing grounds). If you know of an area that has a lot of sharptails in the spring let your local SRD Bio know.

nyala hunter
01-06-2012, 12:35 PM
If you know of a density of sharpies like that in your area you should let a local wildlife bio know the legal land description(s).

By and large sharptail numbers in the Peace Country have been on a steady decline for alot of years...and we all know hunting is not the cause.

I am guessing the "cause" is conversion of rangeland to cropland?

BigJon
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I am guessing the "cause" is conversion of rangeland to cropland?

Yes and no. I have seen cropland still being using for dancing...but I am sure it has turned alot of traditional lek sites into barren lands during that special time of year.

Timing of agricultural and livestock operations is, in my opinion a large factor of the decline.

mrhanke
01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Studies have shown us that our grouse population run on a 7 year cycle population cycle. We hit rock bottom 2 years ago. So we have 5 more years to go before we will see the grouse populations at a peak again. I've noticed places like around Chain Lakes the where we used to spot countless amounts of grouse we struggled to shoot two in a weekend this year. Have some patience boys, give it a couple more years, you'll see the populations come back up.

FCLightning
01-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Studies have shown us that our grouse population run on a 7 year cycle population cycle. We hit rock bottom 2 years ago. So we have 5 more years to go before we will see the grouse populations at a peak again. I've noticed places like around Chain Lakes the where we used to spot countless amounts of grouse we struggled to shoot two in a weekend this year. Have some patience boys, give it a couple more years, you'll see the populations come back up.

Is that why the numbers have been "down" for the past 25 years?

The problem with Sharpies - cattle can live on 4" of grass, Sharpies can't.

Tame hay nesting/brooding cover becomes 160 acre dining table in a couple of hours.

chain2
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM

I believe they're 3 different "chain" lakes named in Alberta. One south one central and the other I consider boreal. I would be quite sure two of them are void of sharptails.
Grouse yes...but sharptails ??? chain

Piker
01-06-2012, 03:55 PM
While hunting w.t. in Sask last fall I observed more sharpies in one day then I have seen in Alta in 35 yrs. I would rather hunt them than deer so I will be looking for a shotgun for next year. Piker

wwbirds
01-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I beleive non residents have a seasonal limit of 6 sharpies with leg tags issued on the licence.

joshcat
01-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I just can't wait to bust out my shorthairs and get some birds next year!! I was gone all season this year!

BigJon
01-07-2012, 10:07 AM
While hunting w.t. in Sask last fall I observed more sharpies in one day then I have seen in Alta in 35 yrs. I would rather hunt them than deer so I will be looking for a shotgun for next year. Piker

I certainly seen a fair amount of sharptails in Sask. this year as well.

59whiskers
01-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Seen half dozen sharptails at my sister inlaws place 3 miles north east of Brooks in December. They live close to a drainage ditch with good cover and food supply. This is the first time I seen sharptails in this area in the 20 years they have lived here. I just hope these birds winter well and see a lot more around before I would ever consider hunting them.

DuckBrat
01-07-2012, 06:12 PM
In our area, oil lease setbacks from sharptail leks have been ignored. The activity and noise around these sites have caused birds to abandon traditional leks. You can bet this is one of the issues in SE Alberta where the Sage grouse is involved.