PDA

View Full Version : Underwater video cameras

lucky_magic_stick
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Hey guys,

I know there is many of you that use underwater video cameras while out fly fishing ect. I'm looking to buy one to hopefully record some of my trips this summer (planning to try and catch my first golden trout). So heres my question.

What kind of video cameras are you guys using? I'm looking for something affordable, waterproof, able to take still photos and is easy to use that takes good videos.

Thanks
Brett

fishstix
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
i use a fuji film wp camera. There is a newer model now. I saw it for 159$ at future shop. http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/fuji-fujifilm-finepix-14-2mp-waterproof-digital-camera-xp20-orange-xp20/10177465.aspx?path=b9b7992dd6212eab552b6f4ce48631f 6en02I like it for the under water pics and video. As far as shooting breath taking scenery shots and real quality shots at a distance you'll probably have to go to an slr of some sort.
heres a typical quality shot with my Fujifilm WPhttp://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad11/ryanb_71/DSCF3065.jpg

Fishstix!!

ericlin0122
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
panasonic ts3 (http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Cameras.htm?BreadCrumbs=Cameras;Cameras;Cameras%20-%20Digital;Cameras%20-%20Digital%20Compact&ProductID=5010830&ProductTab=3)

Even has built-in GPS, so everyone knows where you fish.

Kevin_Thunder
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I used to work in the camera industry... its been a couple of years, so maybe take what I say as a grain of salt.

If you want it to take photos too, don't bother with the camcorders. Their sensors and lenses just aren't designed to take high quality pictures. The resolution of a high def video isn't close to the resolution of even a 2 megapixel photo.

Off the top of my mind, the top brands for waterproof cameras are Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji and Pentax. I'm not a fan of Pentax cameras, their picture quality wasn't very good compared to the competition and I had bad experiences with their build quality. Fuji is decent if you're looking for something in a lower price point. Olympus is tried and true, they've been in the waterproof camera segment for longer and imo have some of the more robust waterproof cameras. I carry an Olympus camera myself. Panasonic is relatively new compared to Olympus, but IMO have really nice picture quality, good build quality, and good video quality. However, you will pay for it, last time I saw, they weren't cheap. When my Olympus camera dies, I'll be giving Panasonic a serious look.

Another thing, keep in mind the picture quality of a waterproof point and shoot will never be as good as a dedicated point and shoot camera. They're built for robustness, not picture quality.

If you have any models in mind, post it up, I'd be happy to help you out some more. I may not be in the industry anymore, but I still have a few connections.

lucky_magic_stick
01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I got a nice nikon d70 as a Christmas present last year and I'm far to worried about bringing it fishing! Don't want to risk getting it wet, this camera is a little complicated for me but finally getting use to it so am just looking for something I can bring to the bow with me when I'm fishing and get some neat video/pictures when I hopefully catch my golden trout!

I'll probably look at both of those cameras posted and get some more advice along the way, thanks for pointing me in the right directions guys!

Cheers,
Brett

Kevin_Thunder
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I got a nice nikon d70 as a Christmas present last year and I'm far to worried about bringing it fishing! Don't want to risk getting it wet, this camera is a little complicated for me but finally getting use to it so am just looking for something I can bring to the bow with me when I'm fishing and get some neat video/pictures when I hopefully catch my golden trout!

I'll probably look at both of those cameras posted and get some more advice along the way, thanks for pointing me in the right directions guys!

Cheers,
Brett

Talk to the guys at The Camera Store (http://www.thecamerastore.com/). A couple years back they were always the shop to beat pricewise, and from what I remember, the people working there were fairly knowledgable. I don't think they carry Olympus anymore due to some sort of dispute, but they should still be a decent source of information. Avoid the big box stores for advice.... I've heard many a horror stories there.

Willowtrail
01-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't have one yet but when I do get one the only one I'll look at is the GoPro