PDA

View Full Version : Bid on Minister's Special licence

sheephunter
01-06-2012, 03:16 PM
The Wild Sheep Foundation is doing something cool this year. They are allowing people to place absentee on-line bids for all items in their Friday and Saturday live auctions. For a cool $100k you can place the first bid on the Alberta Minister's Special Sheep Licence :) Check it out, there are some great auction items. Just don't bid Vanessa up on the Marco Polo hunt ;)
http://bid.wildsheepfoundation.org/Wild-Sheep-Foundation_a11337?m=all

rancher
01-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Is there something on there that tells you it works!! Are all bids due before the auction starts? Or do you start bidding when that timer runs out?

sheephunter
01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Yup all the instructions are there. You have to sign up. Just click "place bid"

The timer is the countdown to the actual live auction. You can bid anytime before that.

rancher
01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
k thanks

gunslinger
01-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Now that is a wicked addition to this years banquet. i just got a call from kim and i won the gold award for my new zealand tahr i shot, Thats exciting.

This could be a very good way to get lined up on a couple hunts for the near future.

hawken
01-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Just bid on the Bou

Rackmastr
01-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Very cool idea!

I'm a little choked I probably wont make it to the WSF Alberta dinner this year.....that auction is a pile of fun!

The Bit Runner.
01-07-2012, 08:40 AM
What happens to the packages that dont get know bids?

sheephunter
01-07-2012, 05:01 PM
What happens to the packages that dont get know bids?

All of these items will be sold at the live auction.

nick0danger
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
so you work up the bids than start the live auction there? at that point do you allow the peoplw to phone bid than?

sheephunter
01-07-2012, 05:26 PM
All your questions are answered here.
http://bid.wildsheepfoundation.org/help.aspx

The Bit Runner.
01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
All of these items will be sold at the live auction.

Thx:)

echo
01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Signed up and ready to go !!

ishootbambi
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
i just got a call from kim and i won the gold award for my new zealand tahr i shot, Thats exciting.

im not seeing what this has to do with an auction. what am i missing?

gunslinger
01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
im not seeing what this has to do with an auction. what am i missing?

Oh sorry should of been more specific, kim neiters is the main contact for the auction and all fnaws convention doings, Shes the one that phones and shes the one i call for all information. When grays not around or busy.

sheephunter
01-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Oh sorry should of been more specific, kim neiters is the main contact for the auction and all fnaws convention doings, Shes the one that phones and shes the one i call for all information. When grays not around or busy.

That's awesome Pat....congrats!

echo
01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Checked out the auction items there's a few i wouldn't mind can't wait just hope the wife don't mind just might be going Marco Polo hunting !!

sheephunter
01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Last night's auction results are posted.....Minister's elk licence was the deal of the auction! Montana sheep permit sold for $300k. Be interesting to see what ours goes for tonight. I'm betting about 1/2. Still time to bid on tonight's auction.

ovis40
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Last night's auction results are posted.....Minister's elk licence was the deal of the auction! Montana sheep permit sold for $300k. Be interesting to see what ours goes for tonight. I'm betting about 1/2. Still time to bid on tonight's auction.

If you go to icollector.com you can watch and bid tonight live.

sheephunter
01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
If you go to icollector.com you can watch and bid tonight live.

I got out bid on the one thing I wanted. Someone in our household does have her eye on that Marco Polo hunt though...lol Definitely have to follow the minister's special sheep licence bidding...thanks for the link.

pikeslayer22
01-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Is it not the same as last night? What was with the power going out? How long did auction take?

hunt247
01-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Whats in BC that I don't know about there sheep tag went for 100,000 more than Alberta's Or our the guys with money just tired of watching ours on the mine.

Rackmastr
01-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Bc has some giant late season rams as well, actually doesn't surprise me that the bc tag has that much interest.

littlered
01-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Its good for Stones as well. Apparently they shot the wr p&y stone on that tag last year.

depopulator
01-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Whats in BC that I don't know about there sheep tag went for 100,000 more than Alberta's Or our the guys with money just tired of watching ours on the mine.

I believe only one resident and one auction tag are released each year in BC for the Ministers Bighorn sheep rut hunt. Both typically end up hunting in the Line Creek / Fording River Mine areas. So for the auction tag purchased in BC, there is little to no competition for that "one" big sheep that leaves the mines. In Alberta, well, the Auction Tag Holder typically ends up at Cadomin, but he/she competes with up to a dozen or more (?) resident tag holders through the same rut hunt, so the competition is greater, the hunt is typically a gong show, and overall its a less quality hunt; freezing your balls off watching the mine boundary. The quality and value of the Alberta Ministers tag is diminished accordingly in comparison with the BC tag.

sheephunter
01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Yikes, that is a real slap in the face for Alberta. I guess last year's negative publicity really took its toll.

sheephunter
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
I believe only one resident and one auction tag are released each year in BC for the Ministers Bighorn sheep rut hunt. Both typically end up hunting in the Line Creek / Fording River Mine areas. So for the auction tag purchased in BC, there is little to no competition for that "one" big sheep that leaves the mines. In Alberta, well, the Auction Tag Holder typically ends up at Cadomin, but he/she competes with up to a dozen or more (?) resident tag holders through the same rut hunt, so the competition is greater, the hunt is typically a gong show, and overall its a less quality hunt; freezing your balls off watching the mine boundary. The quality and value of the Alberta Ministers tag is diminished accordingly in comparison with the BC tag.

Last year the auction buyer took a Stone in BC...the first time it's been a thinhorn. It looks like it's going to be the new archery world record so I suspect that had something to do with driving the BC tag up too. The Alberta buyer still get two weeks totally on his own without competition. I think the big die off at Cadomin last winter likely had a lot to do with it and the lack of success that last year's buyer had. It's a small community of people that can afford those tags.....they talk lots.

ishootbambi
01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
a lot of things could be blamed for the price drop. doesnt really matter....the bottom line is less for conservation, and thats not great news.

depopulator
01-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Last year the auction buyer took a Stone in BC...the first time it's been a thinhorn. It looks like it's going to be the new archery world record so I suspect that had something to do with driving the BC tag up too. The Alberta buyer still get two weeks totally on his own without competition. I think the big die off at Cadomin last winter likely had a lot to do with it and the lack of success that last year's buyer had. It's a small community of people that can afford those tags.....they talk lots.

Yes, its a small community and they talk lots. Small with lot's of influence. A lot of it is true about the Ministers tag, though. Did I mention the natives....

What a huge bonus to the BC Premiers sheep tag! Can it also be used on a Tats Dall ?

And for Alberta the 2 weeks on their own - good deal if you've got guys scouting the pockets across the province - done right, there's some Cranker rams to look over. Never mind Cadomin.

mightybuck
01-22-2012, 02:33 PM
There are no more 200 inch sheep at Cadomin. The winter kill offs and the abundance of predators have been eating some good sheep meat the last few winters....Also the guy who bought the minsters permit last year was not overly impressed at the sheep and quality of huntable rams. That is what bring the price down .The sheep community if very small and they all talk...

depopulator
01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
a lot of things could be blamed for the price drop. doesnt really matter....the bottom line is less for conservation, and thats not great news.

Less for conservation is never good. I heard the Clearwater got a burn this year - that is money well spent. Anywhere else ? I wonder if any of that money was used to fund Coltman ?:scared0018:

ovis40
01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
This is the BC Tag description that was given on the icollector.com site.

This permit is a premier opportunity to hunt your choice of thinhorn sheep (Dall’s and Stone’s) or bighorn sheep (California and Rocky Mountain) in B.C. The permit will be valid on any Crown land or private land (with owner’s permission) that has a legal sheep hunting season for 2012. The permit will be valid during the regular hunting season. In addition, the successful bidder will have a special opportunity to hunt for bighorn sheep until December 20, approximately 1 month past the end of the latest hunting season for bighorns. If the species of choice is a thinhorn sheep, the permit will be valid for an additional period of 21 days prior to the opening of the regular hunting season for thinhorn to March 31. There will only be one other person licensed to hunt sheep during these extended opportunities.
The permit is valid for any male sheep. The permit holder is required to purchase a sheep species license in order to hunt under the Special Permit. A sheep harvested under this permit is in addition to any applicable bag limit for sheep, however, the permit holder may only hold one uncancelled sheep species license at one time. If the permit holder wants to hunt under the normal provincial hunting regulation, they may do so in the same region or a different region as the Special Permit hunt.
The permit holder is required to use the services of a licensed guide-outfitter in the area in which they choose to hunt. Representatives of the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and the Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia will be available at the Convention to assist and answer questions regarding this Permit.
Guiding fees are negotiated between the permit holder and the guide outfitter and are in addition to the bid price for the Special Permit. The Special Permit is non-transferable. In the event the permit holder does not, or cannot hunt, there is no refund of the bid price.
The permit continues to raise significant funds for sheep management and conservation in B.C. Funds will be deposited in the Special Sheep Account with the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. Under the direction of a special stakeholder committee, 75% of those funds will be used for sheep related projects in the province, while the remaining 25% can be used for other wildlife enhancement projects.

Ryry4
01-22-2012, 06:35 PM

The lady that bought it has never hunted sheep before. Nothing to do with people talking, more to do with the fact she was sitting with B.C. Residents. If she would have been at my table she might have bought ours. Who knows. This hunt selling high had more to do with a very strong lady having a new outlook on life and money.

sheephunter
01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
The lady that bought it has never hunted sheep before. Nothing to do with people talking, more to do with the fact she was sitting with B.C. Residents. If she would have been at my table she might have bought ours. Who knows. This hunt selling high had more to do with a very strong lady having a new outlook on life and money.

It takes two to make an auction ;) She didn't get it to $300k by herself.

Just heard that a guy I know here in Alberta was the first name drawn in the 3/4 slam draw but he wasn't there to accept it so they moved on to the next name...that's gotta hurt!

Rackmastr
01-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Just heard that a guy I know here in Alberta was the first name drawn in the 3/4 slam draw but he wasn't there to accept it so they moved on to the next name...that's gotta hurt!

Ouch that would hurt big time!! Haha....

And ya, there was definitely more interest in the BC tag this year, and not due to one person bidding. I can see a lot of reason why the BC tag went so high. If given the choice, it would be a tough one for sure with so many options for sheep.

ksteed17
01-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Ya saw that this morning, especially on a desert that would haunt me for a while ha ha.

Ryry4
01-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Sheep B.C. sold for $250k, Montana sold for $300k after we got power back. Alberta needs to start doing a better job marketing that tag. There are more places in Alberta to hunt than Cadomin.

Rackmastr
01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Sheep B.C. sold for $250k, Montana sold for $300k after we got power back. Alberta needs to start doing a better job marketing that tag. There are more places in Alberta to hunt than Cadomin.

I agree 100% that they need to start making it clear that there are 190+ rams in a ton of other really cool areas to hunt other than sitting on the mine at Cadomin. It should be a bit more obvious after this year but the options are endless....

sheephunter
01-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I agree 100% that they need to start making it clear that there are 190+ rams in a ton of other really cool areas to hunt other than sitting on the mine at Cadomin. It should be a bit more obvious after this year but the options are endless....

Some of the previous buyers have hired some pretty extensive scouting teams that really haven't found anything bigger than Cadomin. With the big die off in Cadomin no doubt guys will start looking elsewhere. I suspect most will still end up there though. That was where they still saw the biggest ram this year. He just wouldn't come off the mine.

Rackmastr
01-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Ya no doubt its the spot to go and look at big giant rams. I would say that it would have the most rams for sure and some of the biggest as well. I think you're right about most guys ending up there anyways. Its the 'easy' place to hunt and put your time in. Obviously 'easy' is used not so much for the toughness of the hunt but for the opportunity at big rams.

Either way, will be interesting to see what the future holds with this tag, hunting opportunities, etc, etc....lots happening in the Alberta sheep world!

In any event, I'd have a hard time if I was given a choice between the AB tag and the BC tag....I know that much!

ishootbambi
01-22-2012, 10:32 PM
ive been thinking about that report by geist...and now cadomin pops up again. oops...wrong thread.

Rocks
01-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Ouch!

How'd you guys make out on the Marco Polo sheephunter?

sheephunter
01-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Ouch!

How'd you guys make out on the Marco Polo sheephunter?

Good in the fact we didn't spend any money...lol It went for top dollar which is great!

jim 1367
01-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Sheep hunter ,
Pretty good prices on those hunts which like you say is a good thing. We have the same Marco Polo hunt in a few weeks at our Eastern Chapter WSF. It does not include the ibex but that can be added. If you have any interest I would be glad to talk to you about it.

By the way there were 6 people who had their names pulled before the winner was present

Jim

sheephunter
01-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Yikes, I bet there are 5 people really kicking their butts after that. I really need to get my three registered with WSF one day soon.

Is the marco polo hunt at your chapter with Asian Mountain Outfitters?

jim 1367
01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
I have four friends who have won the drawings over the years. You Got to be in it to win it. Those drawings are the best odds out there.

Yes the hunt is with Asian Mountain.

sheephunter
01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I have four friends who have won the drawings over the years. You Got to be in it to win it. Those drawings are the best odds out there.

Good advice...on my list of things to do tomorrow!