PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting

buck-8835
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Has anyone else been have a real terrible time out yote hunting lately?
Me and a buddy have put a lot of time in the field the last couple of days and have only seen a few dogs. :angry3:

snubber
01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
ya I've been having bad luck too.Got busted by one today and thats the only one i saw.

hunt247
01-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Was out Monday this week and today got two of four Monday and three of five today calling. Seen a few others driving

dmontser
01-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Ya, pretty slow here too. Made a couple of stands today and saw nothing. Just too warm and too easy to get food right now I guess. I have to admit though I feel a little better knowing its not just me!

buck-8835
01-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Ya, pretty slow here too. Made a couple of stands today and saw nothing. Just too warm and too easy to get food right now I guess. I have to admit though I feel a little better knowing its not just me!

lol same here man! Hopefully it gets better as the winter progresses. Might have to go out and by myself a fox pro.

Thunder/FX
01-07-2012, 03:36 PM
This big male came a runnin to a jackrabbit distress in the first 5 min of callin this morning!
The 243 rolled him over and he played dead...Good Doggy

Thunder

Mikezilk
01-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Anybody have tips on using electric calls.. sound combos? times to let them play.... just got a new caller at Cabela's and would like to see some results.. Tons of coyotes where we hunt but non interested in the calls... they just kept mousing and ignoring me

ducky_hunter
01-07-2012, 03:44 PM
i got 5 this morning

Marko
01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
I just got back in from the wife's farm near cherhill, tried 2 stands for 20-25 mins a piece, and nothing but 3 magpies and 1 crow! Using jack in distress and cottontail in distress, mixed with a few yote howls. But seen 2 on the hiway. 1 on hwy 43 on the onoway corner near the train bridge, and one near spruce grove walking trails. And a few smeared on the hiway also!

huntinfool
01-07-2012, 04:36 PM
I must be doing a good job clearing them up near cherhill shot 23 so far and snared 41 hope the prices stay the same as last year.

Marko
01-07-2012, 04:59 PM
I was told that halford won't even take them anymore, is this true?

waterhaulerhunter
01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
went out for a quick set up this morning before work. Got one within a minute lol and then got another on the drive back home. Not a bad 25 minutes lol

dmontser
01-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Went out this afternoon and called in two. Should have had a double but moved too quickly to line up the shot and one busted out. Tipped over the other at 150 yards with my 243. Fell much better now! :sHa_shakeshout:

trigger7mm
01-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Set up on 3 stands this morning and got 2 yotes. Number 59 and 60 of this season. My buddy called in 4 at one spot and came up empty. LOL. They all came at the same time and he got a little excited and forgot that his 22/250 don't shoot too good with the safety on!

wboser
01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Has anyone else been have a real terrible time out yote hunting lately?
Me and a buddy have put a lot of time in the field the last couple of days and have only seen a few dogs. :angry3:

Seen more dogs just driving around then setting up

220 Swift
01-07-2012, 07:34 PM
i was on 5 stands today. success on calling failure to connect

called in 3 or 4 on the first stand, but they didnt come in close enough, they stayed on the horizon and were out 300 yards or so. i chose not to shoot to be safe.
come into rabbit, left came back to the distress, left and then came back to a howl. enough traffic went by they eventually left. THe ice was booming in the slough on the other side of me. which i think was scaring them back. there was another coyote down wind about 1/2 mile but he didnt come in either.

2nd stand, one coyote, come in cross wind, winded me and took off. took a 200 yard shot and missed, as he was starting to trot. Took another shot at 400 and he left like the Devil was after him.

then went to re-sight in the gun and of course a local dog comes by after i set up for Targ Prac. Time for me to leave:mad3:

Find another spot to sight in. At 100yrds 1.5" high for the 204 with 40 gr Vmax

Go to another stand another comes in cross wind, over the grid road, and down the hill behind where i cant see. calling with rabbit. smells or sees my slight movement repositioning now and takes off. i choose not to shoot at the running target as hopefully another will come in

Next stand, no coyote, but i know one was howling a mile or so away. He was howling to a rabbit and a howl i sent back. i dont think it was a warning howl he was doing, but possibly.

last stand i was skunked.

bwcweld
01-07-2012, 07:48 PM
i've had a horrible winter but my cousin has 42 stacked already.....figure that out