PDA

View Full Version : buying a new camera tomorrow!

mayuan
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Hello All,

I'm looking to pick up the Aqua Vu av760cz tomorrow and wondering if anyone has the unit. Also, any recommendations from people regarding the underwater cameras would be great(liking the 760, but not set on it).

WayneChristie
01-06-2012, 09:40 PM
picked up the a700 this winter for half price and love it. havent managed to kill the 9 amp battery in one sitting yet, and I sit for a long time!

mayuan
01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
With the LCD the unit should last even longer I hope.

I've been using a cheap ebay camera and anything should be a big improvement.

WayneChristie
01-06-2012, 09:59 PM
thing with the camera this winter, most of the lakes Ive fished are too milky to see well, and newell was so clear I didnt need it. nice thing is you can sit back and relax, point the camera down your hole, and see whats going on without getting a sore neck hunching over the hole all day.

mayuan
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
how deep have you sent the av700? and how is the quality of the video?

WayneChristie
01-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Ive only used it 12 feet or less so far, but it has a heavy duty 100 foot cable. dont think theres too many 100 foot deep holes where I fish though. only vidoe i have taken on it was with my camera, posted it a while back, Id like to find a cheap video recorder to hook up to it one of these days, when ive finished spoiling my truck!

HOSSTONE1
01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
just picked up the Cabelas camera yesterday. seems like a decent little setup. gonna try it out soon. i like the fact that it has a built in panning system right in the camera housing. camera looks more like a little lantern as opposed to the fish shaped cameras from others. that could be a good thing, it might keep the bigger snakes from taking a swipe at it. cabelas also has a lifetime warranty on all their products too! it has a 7 inch color LCD screen, a sony camera with 12 led lights and it pans 360 degree with a cordless remote! now, i just gotta see how it performs out in the field.

michaelmicallef
01-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Returned my aquaview 700 yesterday becuase the camera had water in it after only 5 times in the water. Picked up a marcum flasher instead. Also found that in deep water I would loose the odd fish when it got tangled around the camera cord. The camera had it's own hole 3 feet away from my line. I did enjoy using the camera but I want something that would still work after warrenty was up. Looking forward to trying out the new flasher.

mayuan
01-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Kind of have a flasher already, I use my fish finder with the ice transducer and it works really well.

mayuan
01-07-2012, 09:15 AM
I just want to to buy a camera that I don't have to replace in a few years.

ogre
01-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Hey,

After seeing OP, I did some checking for myself, and found this:
http://www.aquavu.com/store/shop/aqua-vu-micro-camera-system-available-8-25-2011/
Does anyone have info on whether this would be a good unit for use? I don't want a full-time camera, just one that could show me where structures and fishes are. Most importantly, it seems like a very portable unit.
TIA

WayneChristie
01-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey,

After seeing OP, I did some checking for myself, and found this:
http://www.aquavu.com/store/shop/aqua-vu-micro-camera-system-available-8-25-2011/
Does anyone have info on whether this would be a good unit for use? I don't want a full-time camera, just one that could show me where structures and fishes are. Most importantly, it seems like a very portable unit.
TIA

if you catch a pike and it gets tangled you will likely lose the camera, its on a very light cable.

ogre
01-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks Wayne, the thought did occur to me. I'm thinking of using it as a scout camera, finding the structures and fishes, then retrieving or using as a top-view before putting the fishing line into the water.
And yeah, 22 lbs against the big gurls is pretty obvious who's gonna lose.
:shark:

mayuan
01-07-2012, 10:00 PM
I picked up the Aqua Vu 760 today and I think I have a bad one. The video quality is far worse than my old Chinese knock-off.

Kevin_Thunder
01-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I picked up the Aqua Vu 760 today and I think I have a bad one. The video quality is far worse than my old Chinese knock-off.

Seems somewhat typical of the AquaVu reviews I've been reading. It seems to be split in the middle, it either works, or has loads of problems. The Marcums seem to be a bit more consistent... but it is priced quite a lot higher. I am curious how good those Cabelas cameras are. So far the early reviews of the panning one doesn't seem too positive, but there isn't nearly enough reviews to get a good idea.

I assume you're going to be exchanging your camera? Hopefully this is just a one off.

mayuan
01-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Here is a video of the image quality.

http://youtu.be/M6R6CTDYCWI

Kevin_Thunder
01-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Do you have a video of your aquavu and ebay camera side by side? Hopefully someone with an aquavu camera can chime in.

WayneChristie
01-07-2012, 10:15 PM
actually put mine to a sort of different use today, had it looking down so I could pull my bait away from the little pike instead of feeding them :bad_boys_20:

mayuan
01-07-2012, 10:26 PM
http://youtu.be/JRj9_8hg2Rc

Here is a video of the ebay camera on Ghost Res.

I'm going to exchange the camera tomorrow or return it if the cameras don't do better then the ebay camera.

mayuan
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
One other thing about the camera is it thinks I'm at 38' all the time. I have yet to let out more than 2' of cable.

ogre
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
That is basically what I have in mind for a top-view.

actually put mine to a sort of different use today, had it looking down so I could pull my bait away from the little pike instead of feeding them :bad_boys_20:

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 02:54 AM
cheep and cheerful, fish tv you can still order the true ir version from them but only if u have a tent or shack. the tv is pretty crapy when not in the dark

mayuan
01-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Picked up a new one!! the picture quality is very nice. The only issue is that I didn't do a full inspection of the unit. I have to exchange it for another one now because the external video port is defective.