PDA

View Full Version : Flies for Grayling?

dcutter
01-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Just starting to get my poop in a group and start tying for spring, and was wondering what your thoughts were on flies to tie for Grayling in the NWT?

I'm pretty handy with the elk hair caddis, and I think the Griffiths Gnat is another.

Thoughts?

Alberta Bigbore
01-07-2012, 09:18 AM
maybe not NWT.....but I know I've done good on LSR with yellow humpies, misquitos, foam crickets and parachute style dries in white and tan

commieboy
01-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Not sure about the NWT, but I did really well with evil weevils on a sink tip.

Kevin_Thunder
01-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Can't say for the NWT, but I've had really good success with prince nymphs and pretty much any small dry fly for grayling, including elk hair caddis and other flies that have already been listed. I found that when grayling start feeding, as long as it resembles an insect, they'll hit it.

fishpro
01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I was up in the NWT last year and the Adams seemed as good as any. Also hard to beat a BH pheasant tail.

fish gunner
01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Just starting to get my poop in a group and start tying for spring, and was wondering what your thoughts were on flies to tie for Grayling in the NWT?

I'm pretty handy with the elk hair caddis, and I think the Griffiths Gnat is another.

Thoughts?

gona sound silly but any floroescant wool. small tag end, half a dozen wraps. counter wound light wire . the wire is just to keep it together in case u get the odd laker or walleye

commieboy
01-07-2012, 12:46 PM
gona sound silly but any floroescant wool.

Agreed. I had my evil weevils with a bit of fluorescent green tied in.

Kingfisher
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM
It's hard to beat a prince nymph. Almost any nymph will do though. Hare's ear, pheasant tail, evil weevil.

The fly I always start with is the prince though. It works everywhere in amost every water. I suppose it is close to a lot of food sources. I tie my prince nymphs in all sizes from 16 up to an 8. Last year I was running low on my prince's. All I had in my box was a few 8's. So I figured I would give them a go. They worked amazing. Couldn't believe the size of some of the small fish that were hitting that huge fly.

Rob

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Agreed. I had my evil weevils with a bit of fluorescent green tied in.

I was driven mad by a pair of fin backs, on a tribof the tay in sco put every fly in my vest on their noses. did not budge,stupid floro pink wool mistake fly. smash !! they both had a go. moved like 3' and nailed it

Mr.goldeye
01-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Never fished in the NWT before but I always start off my day with a royal humpy, some of my favorite flies are

Dries
Stimulators (in differnet sizes and colors)
Parachute adams
H&L variant
Elk Hair Caddis
(rarely use any othe dries but the ones listed)

Nymphs

Bead headed pheasent tail
Lightning bug

I find that grayling are not usually picky and if I'm not catching fish on any of these flies, I'm not fishing the right areas of the river

dcutter
01-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks loads guys! I'm going to be pretty busy tying I guess!