PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy Ice Drill Series SD60i/Eskimo Shark-which is better buy

Smokey
01-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I just wondered if any one had any reviews on this unit that Crappy Tire is selling. The Jiffy Ice Drill Series SD60i or the Eskimo Shark. Been waiting on a sale on ice augers cause I got too much Crappybucks and gift cards. I know theres a few threads on augers, but I just thought I`d get some info before I made my mind up today.

http://flyer.canadiantire.ca/CanadianTire/default.aspx?action=entryflash&

Alberta Bigbore
01-07-2012, 11:41 AM
If they had it... I'd go with the Strikemaster Strike Lite II 4 stroke auger:)

cujo1969
01-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I was lookin at upgrading augers to. Looking at them in WSS looks like they use same engines the eskimo and the jiffy.

HunterDave
01-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Do some comparison shopping with The Fishing Hole. That $350 is the regular price there for the Shark.........I just bought one on Boxing Day. Having gift cards and funny money is a bonus though.

There are a ton of threads in the Fishing Section about the different augers. I researched all that I could find, taking into consideration of the prices, cold weather starting, etc and I went with the Shark. Other people have said that they are happy with their smaller, cheaper ($290) 33cc Stingray but I wanted the extra power of the 51cc Shark.

hunter49
01-07-2012, 12:43 PM
If they had it... I'd go with the Strikemaster Strike Lite II 4 stroke auger:)

I'm assuming you have one, how do you like it?

To OP, I use to say Jiffy any day of the week over Eskimo. But now Jiffy doesn't even use Tecumseh engines. I did try out a buddies new Jiffy the other day and that thing cut real nice.

bushnell
01-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I've got the Jiffy SD60i, and love it. The new Jiffy's are not designed to start on the first pull,usually on the second or third.Once they are running they rip through the ice

stinkynuts
01-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I Just bought the z51 shark and man it drills good I was a Jiffy man before but I wont look back the z51 has a lot of torque and the big pull start handle is great I bought the 10in and man it turns it like nothing you wont be disapointed with the Eskimo at all

fish farmer
01-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Have had jiffys before and a super old Eskimo, Eskimo always started better and ran better. When it came time to get a new one I didn't even look at jiffy, went with an Eskimo shark Z71 10inch, biggest they make. Been a phenomenal drill so far and wouldn't trade it for the world. Loads of power, throws ice chips in a 10 foot radius and if you're not wearing cleats on clear ice it will spin you around the hole. They are priced great to.

madatter
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Have had jiffys before and a super old Eskimo, Eskimo always started better and ran better. When it came time to get a new one I didn't even look at jiffy, went with an Eskimo shark Z71 10inch, biggest they make. Been a phenomenal drill so far and wouldn't trade it for the world. Loads of power, throws ice chips in a 10 foot radius and if you're not wearing cleats on clear ice it will spin you around the hole. They are priced great to.

I've had the Z71 for 2 years now....had issues with carb,replaced under warranty.
Ran thru some dirty ice last year,blades were toast.put new ones on(including the pilot point) and now it does not cut very well.I think the angle of the new blades is off a bit so I'm gonna try another set.
When the Z71 was new it cut incredibly well but I am disappointed with the blades as 15 years of using Jiffy Ripper blades I never had this issue...

Alberta Bigbore
01-08-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm assuming you have one, how do you like it?

I have one new in box.......havent gone ice fishing yet this year..... Lol

But... I have some friends in Manitoba, and three of them have one each and are very happy with them.

Smokey
01-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Bought the Shark Z51. Will hopefully get er out Thurs. With the can tire bucks savings I was happy with the price. Now I gotta decide what to do do with my old leaky Husky (not Husquavarna) Was tired of having an auger that was so dang finicky. Got my six year old excited about daddies new toy, we watched YouTube videos on ice drilling for 45 minutes to show him what daddy's new toy could do.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

stinkynuts
01-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I hope your new z51 treays you as good as mine does i am shure you will be happy with it

Smokey
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks Mr, Nutz hope your right...