PDA

View Full Version : Wood stove made from propane bottle.

Kokanee9
01-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Looks like it would work. Warning below was taken from youtube page.

Ok, this is important.... Vent the bottle to atmosphere then remove the valve(reverse thread usually). Then stick a hose pipe in the top and fill it with water, this expels any remaining gas and once done and emptied of water the bottle is safe to cut into, weld etc. NEVER EVER cut into a bottle that has not been purged in this way!!

http://youtu.be/udcePb2yM4w

deanmc
01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
I have made one of these. I put the door in the end of it not the side. Also put a flat top of expanded metal and it works great for heating a can of soup or percolator.

nick0danger
01-07-2012, 11:33 AM
I got 2 30 lb's someone can have one if they pick it up, and now i know what im doing with the other one LOL (old tanks that can not be refilled. But yea a flat top on it would be sweet starting to think about it now. Guess ill have to practice my mig welding at the shop now. So bad at welding good thing im a sparky/tuber.

uplander
01-07-2012, 12:03 PM
be very careful a highschool was doing this project in construction and fabrication some time ago and all hell broke loose and 3 students were vaporized

deanmc
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM
How? What went wrong?

nick0danger
01-07-2012, 12:25 PM
In the video comments, it mentioned to fill the bottle with water first to ensure the gas was gone.

I was one time working at a condo building doing the rough in for electrical. The Brickies found a sealed fuel container, they brought it to the site and asked the new young guy to use the grinder to cut a hole in it, he literally told them to get f***ed, only an idiot would cut into that. The boss proceeded to cut it open and it exploded, spent a very long time in the burn ward at the the foothills.

basically when you work with anything that contained gas you have to purge it at work we use nitrogen, at home water will work but i would also let the bottle sit open with the valve off for a period of time than purge it with water again.