PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan Lake Ice

sh0wn
01-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Is it safe to drive onto sylvan lake tomorrow?

What do you guys thinks?

kinwahkly
01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I wouldent venture very far if you do , I've conditions are varied thru the province, I know they are worse down south.

hunter49
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Well since a quad broke through last week, and its been even warmer since then you would have to be pretty stupid to drive out. Even more stupid to trust your life in the hands of a random internet site. I guess this is Darwin's theory at its finest.

bobalong
01-07-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't think I would ever say it is safe to drive on the ice, every time you go out you are taking a bit of chance. With the weather this year I dont think I would even suggest it, but then I am a bit of chicken when in it comes to driving a vehicle on the ice until I here there is at least 17-20 inches on the lakes I am going to.

caljouw2003
01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
You should be alright to park on the lake close to shore i would only go about 20 or 30 feet out at the very most.

ogre
01-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm with Bobalong on the 17-20". Nothing would ruin my trip like a pair of wet undies on the way home :budo:

BGSH
01-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Not safe @ all, don't risk it, take a sled load it up and off you, cheers.

slough shark
01-07-2012, 11:13 PM
The fact that there is doubt and is borderline says it all for me, I value my life, truck, and equipment too much. It only takes 1 thin patch or someone driving past you creating a wave on the ice. Perhaps in a week or 2 but for now walking perhaps a couple hundred yards might even be healthy.

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 01:28 AM
we have frozze almost every night for a few weeks but 1 thin spot is all it takes bloop. I have trained self recovery through ice 5 men from 30 were successful and im knot twenty any more so dont dont fancy a nice ice dip

npauls
01-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Not safe @ all, don't risk it, take a sled load it up and off you, cheers.

Aren't you the guy that hasn't ice fished until this season?

If so how do you know what is safe and what isn't?

Not trying to be a p r i c k, I am just wondering how you know so much about everything that is talked about?

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 01:59 AM
oh snap.im a bit gobby my self but I might be twice his age lol

Isopod
01-08-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm getting rather long in the tooth, but until ice is really, really safe, I'm walking out. I kind of like the freedom of my little self-contained sled setup anyway, plus it means I have zero worries about ice thickness. I'm heading to Sylvan on Sunday, but I'll be the goof in the one-man tent who walked out and is happy he did.

nevercatchmuch
01-08-2012, 10:14 AM
not safe to drive on!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/story/2012/01/03/edmonton-sylvan-lake-ice.html

nicemustang
01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
How is it possible that one could post a poll on a online form asking if a lake is OK to drive on....am I the only one that thinks that is the silliest thing ever? Geez what next?

sh0wn
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
We didn't end up going because of the freezing rain warning for Edmonton and Red Deer from environment Canada.

Actually, I'm the newbie ice fisher. My uncle and my father-in-law both have 20+ years of ice fishing. they both say it's safe.

I was planning on walking on anyways, just wanted to see how your views compared to the experienced folks.

Aslo FYI... TD Insurance Meloche Monnex confirmed that I'm covered if the vehicle fell through the ice. I'd never want to test that out though.

fish gunner
01-08-2012, 11:36 AM
We didn't end up going because of the freezing rain warning for Edmonton and Red Deer from environment Canada.

Actually, I'm the newbie ice fisher. My uncle and my father-in-law both have 20+ years of ice fishing. they both say it's safe.

I was planning on walking on anyways, just wanted to see how your views compared to the experienced folks.

Aslo FYI... TD Insurance Meloche Monnex confirmed that I'm covered if the vehicle fell through the ice. I'd never want to test that out though.

you are not from the area. I feel its as good a way to ask as any,you would probably be fine but my man murphy never rests :)

Kokanee9
01-08-2012, 11:58 AM
How is it possible that one could post a poll on a online form asking if a lake is OK to drive on....am I the only one that thinks that is the silliest thing ever? Geez what next?

Not sure how your weather is over there nicemustang, today for example, enviro canada says a high of +9 and tomorrow is +11 in Calgary. Red Deer is showing as +7 today and +6 tomorrow. Not every day has been this warm, but as a rule, higher temperatures than normal. People have been reporting patches of open water on several of the southern lakes.

ShOwn - if you want to do a poll, or listen to what other people tell you, have at it, I guess. Whenever you go on the ice you have to make a decision at that particular time, as to what you are going to do. Kind of like the old saying - if someone told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

Willowtrail
01-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Aren't you the guy that hasn't ice fished until this season?

If so how do you know what is safe and what isn't?

Not trying to be a p r i c k, I am just wondering how you know so much about everything that is talked about?

He thinks he knows everyting there is to know about fishing.

Did you hear the know it all had his car towed at Wabamun? Guess he doesn't know where to park though.

chriscosta
01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
lmao