PDA

View Full Version : Back with another question.

cumminsforever
01-07-2012, 01:59 PM
So I think I'm gonna be moving to red deer. Still in BC and gave myself till September to figure things out but I think red deer is where I'ma move to. So how's the hunting there guys? Is it worth it? Not into the trophy bucks but there always nice. Just wanna put meat on the table.

rottie
01-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Lots of crownj land west by Rocky,( 1-2 ) hours west of Red Deer
Do your home work and door knocking and private land access isnt too hard to get

All in all its a good place to be

jgupnorth
01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
The frustrating thing (s) you will find in Alberta is the lack of crown land within easy reach of home in comparison to BC. Spend lots of time looking at and getting to understand the regulations as they are much more complicated than BC. If you can get permission to hunt on local land, the hunting is far better than BC IMHO and I lived in the Elk Valley for 35 years which I thought was the mecca for hunting.

cumminsforever
01-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah I was looking at rocky mountain house today on google earth from street view n it really looks nice.

The frustrating thing (s) you will find in Alberta is the lack of crown land within easy reach of home in comparison to BC. Spend lots of time looking at and getting to understand the regulations as they are much more complicated than BC. If you can get permission to hunt on local land, the hunting is far better than BC IMHO and I lived in the Elk Valley for 35 years which I thought was the mecca for hunting.

Good to know I will deff be looking them over close. Local land? You talking like farm land or crown land?

Rocky7
01-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Spend lots of time looking at and getting to understand the regulations as they are much more complicated than BC

I didn't think so. BC has, what, 875 zones and regulations for all of it.

cumminsforever
01-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I think so something like that. I know there's 8 different regions.

Mikezilk
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I live in Red Deer.... in an hour and half drive you can be sitting on some great cutlines with some big bucks out by Rocky. Plus there is a fair bit of conservation land within a half hour drive of Red Deer that I have seen moose and deer on. Plus the farm land is awesome if you get permission

pseelk
01-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I live in Red Deer.... in an hour and half drive you can be sitting on some great cutlines with some big bucks out by Rocky. Plus there is a fair bit of conservation land within a half hour drive of Red Deer that I have seen moose and deer on. Plus the farm land is awesome if you get permission

x2 I also live in Red Deer,I agree with Mikezilk some great hunting an hour and a half west,and oddly enough even with all the pressure over the past 30yrs these close areas still consistantly produce game.

Mikezilk
01-07-2012, 04:04 PM
x2 I also live in Red Deer,I agree with Mikezilk some great hunting an hour and a half west,and oddly enough even with all the pressure over the past 30yrs these close areas still consistantly produce game.

Yeah I got a nice 4 X 4 out the this year... got out hunting 3 times total.. found the spot i wanted to hunt on the second trip and dropped my buck at first light on the third... could have waited.... should have waited cause when I came back with my truck to get him there was a way bigger buck standing where I had been sitting looking back at me as if to say haha missed me

cumminsforever
01-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah I got a nice 4 X 4 out the this year... got out hunting 3 times total.. found the spot i wanted to hunt on the second trip and dropped my buck at first light on the third... could have waited.... should have waited cause when I came back with my truck to get him there was a way bigger buck standing where I had been sitting looking back at me as if to say haha missed me

Hahaha I hate that. :angry3:

So you guys are saying there is great hunting there? From that one story I'm down. I live in the south Okanagan right now n all the spots me n my dad n his buddies have hunted for years now you hardly see anything as all the hunters from Vancouver n places down there come up here to hunt. And since the gov opened up a 1.5 month long doe season here my dad got one, my mom got one a week from closing and I got one but I had to go up to my ex girl friends place in Lumby.

Mikezilk
01-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Hahaha I hate that. :angry3:

So you guys are saying there is great hunting there? From that one story I'm down. I live in the south Okanagan right now n all the spots me n my dad n his buddies have hunted for years now you hardly see anything as all the hunters from Vancouver n places down there come up here to hunt. And since the gov opened up a 1.5 month long doe season here my dad got one, my mom got one a week from closing and I got one but I had to go up to my ex girl friends place in Lumby.

LOL I grew up in Kelowna... I can remember getting buck fever on spike bucks cause you might not see another buck all year!!

cumminsforever
01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
LOL I grew up in Kelowna... I can remember getting buck fever on spike bucks cause you might not see another buck all year!!

It's terrible I shot a 5x5 in my display picture as my first white tail about 4 years ago on the last day of rifle season. We were road hunting to be honest n I said buck n jumped out of the truck before dad could even stop it and boom down she went.

I have done a lot of walking in the past years n never really see much. I have almost hit more bucks on the highway with my truck this year then I have seen during hunting season in the last two years combined. But yeah if your lucky to see a nice buck it's been a good hunting season it sucks.

I'm hoping the season is better out there?

Mikezilk
01-07-2012, 05:17 PM
It's terrible I shot a 5x5 in my display picture as my first white tail about 4 years ago on the last day of rifle season. We were road hunting to be honest n I said buck n jumped out of the truck before dad could even stop it and boom down she went.

I have done a lot of walking in the past years n never really see much. I have almost hit more bucks on the highway with my truck this year then I have seen during hunting season in the last two years combined. But yeah if your lucky to see a nice buck it's been a good hunting season it sucks.

yeah the hunting is great out here... I thought I died and went to heave when i moved out here

walking buffalo
01-07-2012, 06:25 PM

So you're closer to becoming an Albertan. :happy0034:

Spent 10 years in Penticton. It's amazing what is in those hills. Friends have taken some Monsterous Elk and Mule deer on the East side over the last decade. Up to 380" Elk and 240" Mulies.

You will see a lot more game out here in Alberta, which works wonders for confidence and enjoyment.

As I mentioned in the BC forum, get your draws applications in, deadline is in June, start building priority. Don't worry about selecting a wmu this year, just 999 the apps until you get a feel for the place. Don't forget to look east as well. Huntng the open prairie is so different than hunting in BC. It's a blast!

cumminsforever
01-08-2012, 02:32 AM
yeah the hunting is great out here... I thought I died and went to heave when i moved out here

Hahaha That's the only good thing I've heard tonight. wrote of my beloved dodge diesel :mad3::angry3: I'll buy another I guess.

cumminsforever
01-08-2012, 02:32 AM
So you're closer to becoming an Albertan. :happy0034:

Spent 10 years in Penticton. It's amazing what is in those hills. Friends have taken some Monsterous Elk and Mule deer on the East side over the last decade. Up to 380" Elk and 240" Mulies.

You will see a lot more game out here in Alberta, which works wonders for confidence and enjoyment.

As I mentioned in the BC forum, get your draws applications in, deadline is in June, start building priority. Don't worry about selecting a wmu this year, just 999 the apps until you get a feel for the place. Don't forget to look east as well. Huntng the open prairie is so different than hunting in BC. It's a blast!

Hahaha That I will have to do but think I'll wait till next year to go hunting out there.