PDA

View Full Version : Cancun Fishing

HunterDave
01-07-2012, 04:48 PM
We're headed to Cancun on Wednesday and I've been searching around for a fishing charter. Captain Rick's in Puerto Adventuras has been highly recommended by folks on the forum so that was my first choice. The prices were fair but traveling was a bit of a pain so I had a look around and found somewhere else. For anyone looking for a deal here is where we are going to go.........it sounds pretty good IMO.

Numerous boats to chose from (Two boats are new).....Money back gaurantee to catch fish....Free pick up at hotel......No deposit required.......Bottomless supply of Ice Cold Beer, Soft Drinks, and Bottled Water!!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

I have chartered a 31 foot boat for 6 hours for the three of us......approx half trolling and half bottom fishing .........for $450 total plus $8 each fishing license.

http://www.fishingtourscancun.com/cancun_fishing.html

I'll post an honest review upon our return for anyone that is interested. :)

hal53
01-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Went with them last year this time....no complaints......

HunterDave
01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Went with them last year this time....no complaints......

What'd you catch?

hal53
01-07-2012, 04:57 PM
What'd you catch?
6 on the boat, hooked 5 Sailfish...only 2 of us wanted to keep them...then moved to another spot and must have caught 25-30 Amberjacks...they will ask up front if you want to keep the sailfish or not...if you don't wish to...you fight it close to the boat (50 yards?) and they cut the line.... if you keep it, it gets a "little" more expensive...LOL!!!

HunterDave
01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
6 on the boat, hooked 5 Sailfish...only 2 of us wanted to keep them...then moved to another spot and must have caught 25-30 Amberjacks...they will ask up front if you want to keep the sailfish or not...if you don't wish to...you fight it close to the boat (50 yards?) and they cut the line.... if you keep it, it gets a "little" more expensive...LOL!!!

WOW!!! I didn't expect the fishing to be near as good as that! I hope that we have the same luck. I doubt that any of us will keep anything other than something for supper that night, a red snapper or something.

Where are these guys located Hal? It almost sounds like it's some sort of Coop of local guys with boats that got together to start something up.

hal53
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
WOW!!! I didn't expect the fishing to be near as good as that! I hope that we have the same luck. I doubt that any of us will keep anything other than something for supper that night, a red snapper or something.

Where are these guys located Hal? It almost sounds like it's some sort of Coop of local guys with boats that got together to start something up.
pretty much in the middle of the Cancun strip...and yeah, the one guy caught a huge snapper or grouper? (forgot) and took it back to his hotel to eat...

Teamprotz
01-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Sounds great , when do we leave ? :love0025:

Rockyman
01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Please don't keep the sailfish! They are much more fun to catch than eat. I fish down in that area quite a bit and would never think of keeping one.

If you want fish for dinner keep a baracuda, tuna or ask your guide/captain to do some bottom fishing for snapper and grouper.

The fishing isn't always that good so don't have expectations that are too high. The worst fishing is typically from November through March.

HunterDave
01-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Please don't keep the sailfish! They are much more fun to catch than eat. I fish down in that area quite a bit and would never think of keeping one.

If you want fish for dinner keep a baracuda, tuna or ask your guide/captain to do some bottom fishing for snapper and grouper.

No, we won't be keeping any sailfish, marlins, sharks or whatever. None of us want to bring back any trophies......don't need them.

I don't eat cuda.........too many stories about getting sick from them.

We'll be trolling and bottom fishing so the plan is catching our supper from what we catch bottom fishing......red snapper, grouper, etc......keeping just enough to feed 6 people in one meal.

Just like here, we'll only take what we need and leave the rest.......I promise. :)