PDA

View Full Version : Who's planning hunts for 2012 already????

NBFK
01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Who is penciling in hunts already for 2012. Looking at draw statistics and planning this is the year for a certain tag. Looking at maps and think of a new area to hit? I know its early but for some reason its all I think about.... Lets here it !

Baiting some bears to start

I have 10 days of sheep'n planned

Some early archery mulies again

My wife should draw a bull moose and cow elk

Then as usual archery elk and whitetails

Maybe a few bird shoots.

I also owe a new hunter from last year his first buck!

Drop_Tine
01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Archery elk hunt 10 days
Archery sheep hunt 10 days
Sask wt hunt 7 days
Cow moose hopefully it wont take long !!
Always scouting for next season mulies/ wt , planning them already, :) ... As long as it takes!!
Hopefully i can take my little cousin out for a successful hunt , as long as his hockey schedule permits it!!

Justin.C
01-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Archery elk hunt
Archery sheep hunt
Sask wt hunt
Cow moose
Always scouting for next season mulies/ wt , planning them already, :)

Going for a 410 sheep?????

steve
01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
spot n stalk bears
sturgeon
aug 1 dall hunt
maybe a AB sheep opener
spot n stalk mulies if there is any left
moose draw calling season
WT's

Drop_Tine
01-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Yuppers !

buckbrushoutdoors
01-07-2012, 06:51 PM
spot and stock bears
sheep opener
velvet muleys
northern BC caribou and moose sept
elk
alberta and sask whiteys

NBFK
01-07-2012, 06:52 PM

I'm a priority 8 and love reading the 410 stories. I'll be itching to see how your hunt goes come november. One year I'll pull my tag.....

catnthehat
01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
We normally start planning for the next year while we are bird hunting in the present year!
Plans tend to change three or four times, especially when your huntignn partner is a senile ol' phart who needs his Griffon pointer to tell him if he tied his boot laces in the morning !!:thinking-006:
Cat

Justin.C
01-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Yuppers !

Good for you. I might draw a prarie elk tag. If I don't apply I am just doing the general tag deal. I can draw lots but am not happy to waist a tag when numbers are so low. Maybe the Yukon.I know a sheep I found is in a world of trouble as I get to buy a tag again this year. What a sheep it is also.

Coniferous
01-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Spot and Stalk bears in Birch Mountains/ Wood Buffalo
Back to hometown for Quesnel Bear Hunt
Spot and stalk bears in Suggested Place
Kakwa Wolf Hunt
7 Day Willmore Sheep/Elk hunt
4 Day Willmore Sheep

cochranenite
01-07-2012, 10:13 PM
spring bear hunt to help out the rancher lost 34 calfs this year to bears, wolves cougers etc,

hopefully buy a bow in the summer time and do some spot and stalk for elk or sitting on weekends, then i already have 2 weeks booked off already, i should pull my cow elk tag, muley buck and mule doe,

cn

pottymouth
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
I can draw for everything this year! Now I gotta decide what I want to pull. So been planning for 2012 since I found out we where having twins last year !

ww2269
01-07-2012, 11:53 PM
I am looking at a hunt south of the border, maybe Whyoming for a double of archery antelope then right into an elk hunt. Any info from someone with previous experience with this combo would be great.:)

TBark
01-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Just all local stuff again, wmu 360, Snipe Lake.
Bear May 20 - 30.
Elk opening day for a week Sept 17 - 25.
Deer if they appear, moose if the draw comes about.
And scouting / bugling with the bow, Sept 5 - 10th.
TBark

JTRED
01-08-2012, 06:50 AM
I'll be doing the usual every sat/sun day hunts here close to home. I live in the central Kootenays so whitetail, mule, elk, turkey, grouse, ducks and geese are all within minutes of home. I hope to go on a sheep hunt in AB this year, that's the big one planned for this year. I'm getting more and more interested in doing some solo alpine backpack hunts so we'll see if I can get geared up for that. I'm out every weekend right now hunting rabbits, coyotes, and wolves. Not having the best luck but always see something, yesterday from my ridgetop vantage point I watched 3 moose for 1/2 an hour and a couple of weekend ago a herd of 60-70 elk moved through the cut I was on. I really enjoy the spring Turkey hunt here, being from n. Alberta originally I'd never hunted these before, it was a real bonus for me moving here. I'll put in for antlerless elk on leh(draw) and hopefully be successful again since this is one of my favourite wildgame meats and probably my favourite hunt. I have been fortunate to harvest 2 cows in the last 2 seasons on my leh draw. I love living in the mountains!

bullrambler
01-08-2012, 06:59 AM
As we have entered the new year 2012, I have started by doing rabbit and grouse. If a yote gets in the way, he may not be standing for too long. As spring approaches, I'll be doing turkeys, ducks and geese. As fall approaches, deer and moose and possibly a bison hunt in NWT.

gunslinger
01-08-2012, 07:10 AM
I am looking at a hunt south of the border, maybe Whyoming for a double of archery antelope then right into an elk hunt. Any info from someone with previous experience with this combo would be great.:)

Chris we are putting together a group to go to wyoming for archery antelope this year, looks like 5 already going.

BDAJ
01-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Trophy Antelope down south
Bro will have his Moose Tag
Could be up to 6 of us with Mule Deer tags...depends on if we all apply same zone! Haha.

Should be a great season! Looking forward to breaking in the new X Bolt as well!!

BDAJ

archer8
01-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi All

Plan to hunt harder than last year -- maps are already on coffee table with last years regs -- wife already flustered :sHa_shakeshout:

Hope for a antelope draw ( Maybe bow )
Sheep in 410 ( Bow )
Elk
Moose maybe up Grand Prarie
Sask white tail

Mulies here ( Down South ?)
White tail here

Cant wait

Have a good one all

Cheers

Ian

alpineguy
01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Spring fishing trip to N Sask - 1 week

Summer fishing trip to N Sask - 10 days

Willmore sheep hunt - 2 weeks with pack horses

Possible BC goat/moose - 1 - 2 weeks with pack horses (i have a couple possibilities right now)
or slim chance I would go T. antelope with horses and wagon if BC failed.

Elk hunt - 1 week horses and wagon

armpups
01-09-2012, 09:15 AM
2011 was my first year of hunting and all I can think of is this coming year.

Due to professional football and then working the rigs, I didn't get the chance to dive into hunting the way I have always wanted...until this year.

-Helping an active member on this site set up his Northern Black Bear hunting camp. Looking forward to picking his brain and learning, hearing stories, etc.

-Checked a trail cam for a new location that I'm going to bow hunt and some great animals.

Needless to say, this thread has been great regards to learning more, and fueling the fire that is already blazing.

Thanks for the stories.

armpups
01-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Will be going on another sheep hunt this year and my goal is to go with an experienced anglar to shoot an elk.

drake
01-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I'll be doing the usual every sat/sun day hunts here close to home. I live in the central Kootenays so whitetail, mule, elk, turkey, grouse, ducks and geese are all within minutes of home. I hope to go on a sheep hunt in AB this year, that's the big one planned for this year. I'm getting more and more interested in doing some solo alpine backpack hunts so we'll see if I can get geared up for that. I'm out every weekend right now hunting rabbits, coyotes, and wolves. Not having the best luck but always see something, yesterday from my ridgetop vantage point I watched 3 moose for 1/2 an hour and a couple of weekend ago a herd of 60-70 elk moved through the cut I was on. I really enjoy the spring Turkey hunt here, being from n. Alberta originally I'd never hunted these before, it was a real bonus for me moving here. I'll put in for antlerless elk on leh(draw) and hopefully be successful again since this is one of my favourite wildgame meats and probably my favourite hunt. I have been fortunate to harvest 2 cows in the last 2 seasons on my leh draw. I love living in the mountains!

What outfitters are you looking at for your sheep hunt?.....

hornhead
01-09-2012, 09:21 AM
We normally start planning for the next year while we are bird hunting in the present year!
Plans tend to change three or four times, especially when your huntignn partner is a senile ol' phart who needs his Griffon pointer to tell him if he tied his boot laces in the morning !!:thinking-006:
Cat

did we hunt this year??
where??

can you tell me where my room is?:thinking-006:

Jamie Black R/T
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM
archery/rifle elk early/mid september is a given for me every year as is oct-nov whitetails.

im holding my mule deer priority yet. (P6)

Trophy antelope....still up in the air about that one. (P8)

maybe ill hold the pronghorn and mule deer priority and just throw some money down on south africa already...dark continent has been calling to me way too much this past year...if i go maybe ill shut up about it...make the wife happy :sHa_sarcasticlol:

25-06rem.model700
01-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Spot and stalk bear this spring
Will be on priority five more mule deer will take that tag
Archery whitetail at home
I get home in october so it takes me a while to find a good buck, pattern him, set stands etc. I already have one sheep so they may take the back seat this year.

Bassett
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Planning an 11 day elk trip part rifle part bow.
Every weekend bow hunting moose and whiteys at the lake.
Still deciding where to put in dad for his bull moose, I should get my cow elk.
Maybe a short mulie hunt with my brother and dad should all get drawn!!

I kind of want to put in for my non trophy sheep.. I'm a 4 I believe , jus where should I put in and if my dad has time is the question now!

Rackmastr
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
The planning hasnt begun, but the dreaming has! Once I get settled and figured out some spring/summer scouting, I hope the chase at least the following:

BC Kootenay bighorns
BC Kootenay Elk
BC Mountain Goat (open season area hopefully)
Alberta mulies with a couple buddies
Sask Whitetails at the end of the season if I'm able to fit it in

Other than that, learning a new area and planning for a couple big hunts in 2013 will be the plan....

lyallpeder
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
1)this year I had a friend suggest a spot so I will be scouting for my own spot till next year.
2)need to book time off well in advance.
3) my dear darling wife is more open to spending money on gear and ammo if it's a bit at a time so I putter at that all year

packhuntr
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
SHEEP!!! Im going to kill a sheep, if it kills me accomplishing it this fall so be it!!! And a P-11 moose draw yee-haw, been waiting on a good one and I hope this is the year I get to play. Other than that, hopefully all the normals will fall in line as well. Will scout mules like crazy again looking for that one in a lifetimer. Besta luck this year boyz!

Tatonka
01-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I never quit planning.....it's an ongoing, year round process for me. Maybe this will be the year I finally draw that special permit (Moose, Sheep, Goat, and/or elk)... I'm due and I'm not getting any younger!!!

Rem7
01-09-2012, 06:08 PM
223 days till my Yukon Dall sheep/Caribou hunt (but who's counting)...then archery elk as I got Bighorn #2 last fall...then Peace country Mulies with the wife and finish it off with Whitetails in Saskatchewan!

matathonman
01-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Caribou hunt is priority this year. Sheep is second, then next year it becomes priority till it happens! Definitely gonna bow hunt bull moose and Mulies after that though. Then whitetails in Nov. Was a short season this year and can't wait until next year!

biggmac
01-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Early Spring Wild Boar - Savage Encounters, Caroline, AB
Baited Spring Bear - BBO, Northern Saskatchewan :sHa_shakeshout:
Archery Elk
Bull Moose - Fly in to Nanika Lake, B.C :sHa_shakeshout:
Whitetail if applicable

My 12 year old daughter is now officially allowed to hunt. So I am wondering if she will get whatever draws she puts in as she is a youth and a female. There is only 5% of hunters in Alberta that are female, so she is quite excited to be one of them.

So could be buying another deep freeze....lol

Good luck to all in 2012

greywolf
01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Spring bear hunt in May;
Elk in Sept;
Moose; accomodate my wife and nephew to northern AB 1st week of October; (Priority 5);
WT in Nov.
Sasquatch in December!!!!