PDA

View Full Version : Why all the whitefish in the Bow?

scel
01-08-2012, 02:31 AM
This is my first full year of fly fishing on the Bow. I have only fished from Fish Creek Park to McKinnon Flats. From June until mid-November, I had never caught or even heard of anyone else catching a whitefish.
Now, I

A few questions:
Does the population of the whitefish on a particular stretch of the Bow change over the year? Do the whitefish perhaps live in the lower Bow in the winter, but migrate to the middle Bow for the summer?

Today, I fished an area that I had frequented a great deal during the summer. I tied on the same hooks that I had used in the summer. Today, I caught only whitefish, whereas I would have caught an equal amount of trout in the summer.
So, I am left to wonder...
A. Did the whitefish move into the area? (i.e. did the whitefish migrate to the area)
OR
B. Did the trout move out of the area? (i.e. did the trout migrate to somewhere else in the river)
OR
C. Did the trout move out of the area AND the whitefish move into the area (i.e. both A AND B)

I like catching whitefish, so it does not really bother me, but I would like to know WHY I am only catching whitefish.

BeeGuy
01-08-2012, 03:33 AM
To some degree it depends on the types of spots you were targeting.

Trout will tend to hold in slack water and deeper holes in winter.

scel
01-08-2012, 04:59 AM
To some degree it depends on the types of spots you were targeting.

Trout will tend to hold in slack water and deeper holes in winter.

I understand and agree with this...
But why would the same area produce trout in the summer and no whitefish; the same hole produces whitefish in the winter, but no trout.

If the whitefish are there, I would expect to hook into at least one in 6 months.

wildcat111
01-08-2012, 05:51 AM
hello i have fished this river probably a 1000 or more time over the last 15 years, i'm at the point now that if i want trout i go and get trout and vice versa for white fish which i enjoy fishing for in the winter cause they put on a decent fight and they bite regulary, i find that in the summer the whites move into faster swallower water that normally dosent get fished for trout, in the winter the whites start to pooled up in large numbers and its nothing to sit there and catch 30-40 whites and if your lucky one trout, try finding longer deeper pools, normly they will still hold a bunch of whites but your odds are better, also the trout tend to hold up towards the end of the pools.don't forget the trout slow down in the winter months and fishing the slowest part of the pool with a weighted nymph works well. i perfer not to go over a size 16, 18s are probably the best this time of the year for me.

1/2 oz Bucktail
01-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Whites are very migratory,

They stay in overwintering holes and come spring they will head out on a feeding migration, a spawning migration then occurs in the fall. It is not very often that you can find whites in the same spot all year long.

ericlin0122
01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
white are often in shallower water than trout in the winter. If you keep catching white and odd trout, then you are not deep enough. Find a place is deep and slow 7'+, you should find some trout.

Dust1n
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
just use streamers like me you wont even half to touch a whitefish.