PDA

View Full Version : need a flyfishing teacher

K-peda
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
hey guys im slightly new to this i got a new fly rod and waders for christmas and i have never tossed a fly in my life. ive hunted bulls with flys but with no fly rod. looking for some one to show me the ropes:bad_boys_20: i live in the high river area would also like to master the bow drop me a line if anyone wants to hit the river.

Fisher_man#1
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Another great place to ask some knowledgeable fly-fisherman to take you out an learn how, is this board http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?act=Search&nav=lv&CODE=show&searchid=78ff31e59e26bd1cf898bedffb916c05&search_in=topics&result_type=topics&lastdate=0

I dont have the time right now and will be in Lethbridge for a bit, so im not much use to someone in the High River area. Sorry.

Good luck tho, fly-fishing is lots of fun learning and becomes an obsession once you have mastered it.

Cheers,

densa44
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
If you can't find some one to help right away, just go for it. It is a life's work anyway, you'll keep learning forever.

Remember that it is fly FISHING not fly casting. Those waders can do you a lot of good if you are careful. Presentation means everything.

As you get better you can do it (the presentation) from longer range.

With the new rods and line you'll be able to have fun right off the bat.

mayuan
01-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Hanson's in calgary has boot camps for fly fishing.

http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fly-fishing-boot-camp/

slivers86
01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't know a lot, but if you want to go out sometime and **** around and learn with me, I'd be more than willing to share what little knowledge I have :) I know what to do with dry flies :)

SalmoTrutta
01-11-2012, 10:01 AM
The Bow is one of the more difficult waters around to fish, given it's size and the depth of the runs (especially this time of year when fish are holed up in deeper water), it can be hard to find a "good" spot with the crowds and if you don't know how to read the water it can be frustrating. Once you learn a few basic rules for fishing the Bow it can be the best water ever to fish. Boot camps can be a good place to start to learn about theory ie. casting, knots, gear and flies, but you'll learn very little about actual fishing situations in most of them. My advice is to go one on one with someone who knows the river and how to fish it well, even if this means hiring someone. It can save you a lot of time and frustration in the end and get you catching fish your first time out.

Darren N
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Hands on is the best education, but i went the method of going to the library and geting books and videos on how to cast... It was free and educational, but best thing it gave you an idea what to do or expect before you actually go out and try it.

Mikediz
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
i live in high river as well and can show you the ropes. you can call me at 403 606 0843 and we can discuss it