PDA

View Full Version : bow

slivers86
01-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Planning on dragging some flys tomorrow between 130th and deerfoot. Anyone want to join me? I've never nymphed before and am looking for a quick lesson :) Is it even possible without waders? I have knee high boots, which I was planning on using?

slivers86
01-10-2012, 12:35 AM
never ended up going... sad day :scared:

Anywho, anyone want to get out sometime for a little instructional time? I'll buy lunch after or cook up some home made goodness for the afternoon! Post here, or PM... Any help appreciated!

slingshotz
01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I think you might get better response on Fly Fish Calgary as there's guys on there that fly fish the Bow year round. I've been meaning to get out but just haven't been able to find the time.

Okotokian
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Planning on dragging some flys tomorrow between 130th and deerfoot. Anyone want to join me? I've never nymphed before and am looking for a quick lesson :) Is it even possible without waders? I have knee high boots, which I was planning on using?

I wouldn't bother with the knee highs. There are often places you can cast from shore, and I suspect the water would be up over your boots about 3 feet from shore in most places.

slivers86
01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I'll still wear them, just incase I need to get my feet a bit wet.

slivers86
01-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Anyone have advice on a slower run that may be good for learning? Not asking for a honey hole, but maybe a general area to give it a shot? I was thinking about looking for a spot near policemans or a little further south.

The Fisherman Guy
01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Fish Creek is your best bet Slivers. Plenty of spots to cast from shore. If you aren't obtuse to the idea, fish the stormwater outfalls. The pools below usually hold browns and bows. If that is the only deep water around, they will be holed up in there.

flyfish4life
01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Waders are great right now especially because there is not much ice build up on the edges right now. Just dress warm underneath and make sure to have a few layers on. 130th to 22X should be good water and look for some deeper holes and make sure to get your nymphs down on the bottom of the river.......small Beadheaded nymphs will work.

My brother in law drifted from Policeman flats to legacy on the weekend and they hooked a few on nymphs but nothing on streamers. Good Luck !!

P.S. Make sure to put a few HOT POCKETS in your jacket and pant pockets and boots (anywhere you can). It only makes your day that much more comfortable if you are warm....especially your hands !!!! :)

slivers86
01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Fish Creek is your best bet Slivers. Plenty of spots to cast from shore. If you aren't obtuse to the idea, fish the stormwater outfalls. The pools below usually hold browns and bows. If that is the only deep water around, they will be holed up in there.

I think this might be my best bet to get used to it. The warmer water comign out of the drains should keep it uniced as well, am I right?

roach
01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Go to glenmore boat launch and walk up river to the big bend at the golf area, use a 8 foot lead, SJW, bloodworms, hares ears, crommies (anything red) with a small splitty and go nuts, you should be able to slam bow river bones untill your hearts content. That is the best way to learn how to nymph imo, assuming you have the general idea. Goodluck and enjoy!

BeeGuy
01-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Go to glenmore boat launch and walk up river to the big bend at the golf area, use a 8 foot lead, SJW, bloodworms, hares ears, crommies (anything red) with a small splitty and go nuts, you should be able to slam bow river bones untill your hearts content. That is the best way to learn how to nymph imo, assuming you have the general idea. Goodluck and enjoy!

where is this launch?

Dust1n
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
where is this launch?

glenmore by the car dealerships.